(NFR) sweet email I got back from PETA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Zen Piscator, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    I sent PETA an email asking them to use factual information to support their claims, here is what I got back.

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your e-mail to PETA.

We at PETA stand by the accuracy of all the information on our Web site and in our publications. First hand research is a daily part of life at PETA; our staff includes experts on animals of all kinds, as well as scientists and veterinary professionals. Our investigators go to factory farms and slaughterhouses, and much of our data comes directly from the targeted industries themselves: From agricultural journals and published synopses of laboratory experiments. Furthermore, our site http://www.GoVeg.com is fully sourced and annotated; you can find the sources for all our information at the bottom of each page.

Sadly, the facts of animal abuse are so horrific, there’s no need to exaggerate or distort. And PETA has nothing to gain financially from distorting the truth—but those who make money from harming animals certainly do.

Thanks again for your e-mail, and for your interest in PETA.

Elizabeth Collins
    PETA Correspondent

I am totally discusted that an angency such as this would send back a blantant lie. They have no scientific basis behind most of there claims, which i find disturbing. If they want to be effective at help animals recover, why dont they go about it in an honest way?

Peace,
    Andy

2. TomB

TomB Active Member

Andy-
    one word-
    anthropomorphism.....
    these guys aren't environmentalists, but rather people that have a twisted view of what animals are. Peta is rooted far more in emotion than ecology.
    -Tom

3. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    That's the point Andy. They DON'T CARE if the animals recover or not! They want them to be totally free from ANY human interaction or intervention.

Years ago, before you casted your first fly even, the Defense Department proposed a hunt at a Navy base here on the west side for disabled archers. The deer were confined within the limits of the base by high security fences and were suffering from over population. The Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) objected to the hunt based on the "cruelty" of it. When asked about the cruelty of letting the entire herd die from starvation, their response was "At least they won't die from the trauma of being shot with an arrow!". I don't know if you have seen an animal starve to death or not, but if you haven't it's a HORRIBLE death that should never be wished upon the most despicable of creatures.

So don't believe PETA when they spout their B.S. It's not so much that they love animals, but that deep down inside, they hate humans!

4. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    If you try hard enough and play with numbers and words long enough, you can make anything "scientific" to the general public. Most people think that if something is written down or has been studied, it is scientific work. Well, unless it is unbiased, peer-reviewed, and endorsed by a reputable agency, it can go in the trash as far as I am concerned. That is the issue with most of the hot topics in environmental science. Depending on what side of the fence you are on, you will find a way to "prove" your opinion with science. Wrong or right?...I'm no judge. I just dont buy it.

5. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    I have noticed a very interesting trend in modern politics.

The extreme left supports a self-loathing on many levels; evident in the aforementioned example with peta.

The opposite is true with Extreme conservatives. There is an infallibility assumed that borders on onanism where the U.S. is perfect and if it weren't for that satanic entity that is science, they would believe that we are the center of the Universe once again.

Both sides of the spectrum are glorifying their exremes. The left, so obsessed with running away from anything traditional, has lost itself and can't remember where it is running. They have (in some regards) run a 40 mile marathon.

The Right, so concerned with having a lack of traditional values continues to run in an exact mirror image of their counterparts. Them crazy sumbitches are running backwards.

Why, people can't see the idiocy of their actions is beyone me. I am just sick of having to watch it.

6. wboles3

wboles3 Member

Media:
    I went to the local PAWS agency recently and found it very ironic to see rat traps around its perimeter. And they weren't live catch traps. I guess some animals rank higher than others. Yes, I do know that rats spread disease. I just thought it was ironic.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

Statistics are many times skewed any way the presenter wants them portrayed...to impress or qualify their view. One party could claim a certain species is endangered....and another could claim not true...and both would have some believable numbers/stats/facts/etc.......Beautiful saying Mr.trout...don't judge...just know.....We as flyfishers know from experience of what was, what is, and what will be....because we are out there. Many of these people never really get out there and experience and devote the time (years) it takes. (Buyt some do...not to knock those that really do)

8. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Yeah these guys are whackos. My Mom rented a house to a peta leader in ballard(she had no idea of course, these guys are all about deception). a complete wack job and family councelor if you can believe that. his own family couldn't stand him and left him, lol, anyways, he would leave the back door to the house open so his dogs could be "free" to come and go as they please, My Mom found out about this and confronted the renter whackjob about it, due to concerns of burglary and vandalism. he argued the dogs are free and they have the "right" to do so. neighbors were complaining about his four dogs straying and crapping all over the neighborhood, when confronted about why he wouldn't pick up the crap while walking his dog at the high school, he replied that the dog had a right to crap where it wanted to and it wasn't his responsibility to remove it. these dogs were neglected and always near starved, yet this is a leader in the peta organization, several times dead dogs were found in the back yard, an absolute nightmare for my Mom, had to force him out and took way too long to do so. just had to rant.

p.s. if you ever have a renter who says he loves animals, and his name is John Wayne , or maybe Wayne John, don't rent to him, he also doesn't pay his rent.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

OK? Wow....Love your animals...provide the basics....set them free....(free) no...we have to respect the rights of others. cats are harder (impossible to contain) on the other hand dogs ....as an owner there is responsiblity..if in city you need to keep them in constrain (fenced when not there) and clean up after them...period....Think of it as your baby...they poop you clean. Out in the wild....nothing better than having a friend or two (dogs).

10. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    That would be a golden opportunity for me to take a big ass crap on his pillow and say that I'm free to do what I please.

Also, often i do not see eye to eye with cactus on our political veiws, I can't find much fault with his views on this subject. I am ashamed to grouped in the same polictical section with PETA memebers, but i guess each side has it wackos.

11. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    Ahhh liberal guilt. I checked out the website. THere's not one academic study referenced on the website.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    "And PETA has nothing to gain financially from distorting the truth"

LOL. Hello, if they didn't prey on human emotion for donations, they wouldn't be in business...

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

LOL. Hello, if they didn't prey on human emotion for donations, they wouldn't be in business...[/QUOTE]

So true !!!

14. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    See! You're coming around. Pretty soon I'll have you arguing for Bush's face to be put on Mt. Rushmore!:p

15. Zen Piscator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm spearheaing the campain this christmas, Regan and Nixon will be spooning with Bush.

16. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Regarding PETA's "facts"

In a biostatistics course the professor began the first day's lecture with the following quote.

"There are three types of lies. 1) Lies. 2) Damn lies. 3) Statistics."

I now view all stats with a skeptical mind. Especially when my brother tells me about the 21" fish he caught out of the Yakima. I know they are there, but my brother certainly isn't catching them! ;)

17. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't know if someone posted this yet but HERE'S A LINK to the Penn and Teller Bull***t episode about PETA. Very informative. Perhaps a little TOO informative.

18. Brian Bennett

Brian Bennett Because We All Live Downstream

Home Page:
  19. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:

HAha.. I gotta give props to something that funny... good shyte.

~B

20. Blake

Blake Member

I'd like to comment that as a dietary vegan, not all vegans and vegetarians support PETA and actually many of them find their propoganda repulsive. It never ceases to amaze me how PETA always gets in the middle of really weird animal rights lawsuits. Seriously, they never do anything productive, they are all about hype and the spotlight. I really believe that it is because they are so narcissitic in nature that they are just trying to find a way to be in the spotlight, to have a little attention paid to them.
    Is the way factory farming done, morally wrong? I think much of it is. But it is a little difficult to make the stretch from what is going on with factory farming to saying that having our pets (which we love and care for) is wrong. PETA is not just about treating animals ethical, it is about total animal liberation. Total liberation, no pets, no testing for human benefit, total liberation. What a bunch of crap. Plus, their priorities are so out of balance. Shouldn't our whole lives be lived ethically, not just in one area? I believe we should treat other humans ethically, which includes a whole ton of stuff (economically, socially, etc.). I also believe that this created world around us should be treated ethically as well or else it won't be here for those after us.
    steps down from soapbox

Signed,
    VEGAN against PETA

ps, this was just a rant....not designed to start any arguments or discussions. :)