NFR: The Cat got Bagged

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    This is a good thread, i am not a cat fan, so this makes me all happy and warm inside. I too have relocated a couple cats over the years. I warned my neighbor about the cat on my hood.... i warned again. I am a problem solver. ;)
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,609 / 0
    I've been thinking about buying a pellet rifle. I have nuisance cats in my yard sometimes, and now that we've been landscaping this spring, the deer are getting a "rodent" reputation with us instead of "cute wildlife." Is a pellet gun the same as airsoft? Seems like the pellet gun is more of a "airhard" instead of soft. I need to learn what my critter control options are. We just had two spotted fawns and then a doe with a fawn in the yard this morning. The recommended fence made of nylon mono fishing line isn't working. I've wrapped so many plants in deer netting lately that I've forgotten about the damn cats.

Sg
  3. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,170 / 0
    I have heard that you can solve your deer problems if you regularly apply pest control to your neighbor's landscaping. It is best applied in the evening, but sprinkling their plants with a healthy dose of grain works wonders. It is cheap and non-toxic and you should immediately notice a decrease in your yard's deer population!
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +625 / 0
    1) Live trap devil creature.
    2) Don heavy jacket/welding sleeves/gloves
    3) Remove cat from trap.
    4) CAREFULLY apply several drops of skunk oil to cat.
    5) Send cat home.

This is even more enjoyable when you see the irresponsible pet-owner/PIA neighbor a few days later with scratches on his arms pursuant to bathing said cat. 2 times and they started keeping their cat indoors.
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    One neighbor has 3 cats that feel our garden/flower beds are their personal cat boxes.
    When I confronted her (politely) about them she insisted it couldn't be her "sweet kitties" and if it might be, maybe I should buy mothballs, place them in the areas and it might keep them out.
    Asked her why should I buy mothballs to keep HER cats out of MY beds?

To solve the problem, I bought a large bag of regular mousetraps. I set the traps and just sprinkled a bit of earth over them just under the surface.
    Imagine my glee when looking out the window, I could see her one of her cats gyrating down the driveway like a bat out of Hell with a trap on her paw. Kinda like "kitty land mines", eh?
    The most fun was when I went to her house and asked for my trap back that her cat didn't get while pissing in my flower bed.:D
    Problem solved.
  6. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Airsoft guns shoot plastic BBs. They range from cheap Walmart guns that don't shoot straight, to high end all-metal gas and aeg (auto electric gun). I have a couple low end models I never use... and mid to high end. My pistol fires straight every time at 400FPS and my all metal electric MP5 fires straight as an arrow even on full auto at I don't know somewhere around 10 or 12 rounds per second... that thing really goes through the ammo! I don't buy cheap ammo, only the tournament quality stuff, .20gram for most of my guns. I fire .25gram from my customized spring bolt action sniper rifle, which runs about 500FPS. The sniper rifle will put a BB through the bottom of a coke can at point blank range.
  7. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    I hate dogs (except for the big ones) and love cats. But messing with expensive fly gear is a request to be eliminated from the gene pool:

1. Hang waders by fence
    2. Electrify fence

Must have been lightning lol!
  8. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    I have a pump pellet rifle that I have used on dog butts (with their heads in my garbage can), cats (rarely, there are nearly no cats in my hood) and currently (on occasion) squirrels raiding my bird feeders. I can pump it once or twice and just sting the critter (plan A), or you can pump it up 4 or 5 times and go with plan B. I know you can take out cats, squirrels and racoons with it, but never have. Technically however, I believe any pellet rifle is illegal to shoot in most city limits. Since it doesn't make much sound and I usually hit what I aim at, (typically with some back drop like my garden shed) I don't worry too much.
  9. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    I was shocked at how realistic looking those pellet guns have become, not that they couldn't kill you too. But if I was tweeking, I know I'd be running my ass off if someone unholstered one. Power perceived is power achieved.
  10. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    That cat didn't show up once this evening. Not on my back fence, not prowling near my garage when I was packing the truck for creek fishing.

I know from experience, 400 FPS stings real good, and leaves a 3-day welt on unprotected skin.

Maybe the little fucker learned his lesson. Maybe.
  11. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    You could have established territorial lines by closing your garage door. I don't see why people think it is so funny to shoot cats with air soft guns. Cat has no idea it did anything wrong, and shooting it with an air soft gun is probably not going to change that.

But hey, sounds like you had a lot of fun.
    Steve Knapp likes this.
  12. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    Live trap then spray the cat down with a hose to get the message across.
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    I am going to guess he has a fenced yard.

The shooting of animals in these situations is therapy for me. I have an issue and i make attempts to resolve it. I take measures to eliminate the problem. I feel good when i achieve my goal.
  14. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +574 / 0
    No animals were injured, or killed during the making of this thread.
    Alex MacDonald and Jim Speaker like this.
  15. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Wrong. That's not establishing territorial lines, that's just keeping the little shit out *while it's closed*.

And ya know what? Yes I feel satisfaction from having shot the little SOB in the ass. Ya know why? The sonofabitch pissed on my Simms G3s!!! And he hasn't been around since I put a welt on his ass (yet).

We'll see if it takes the first time. Rinse repeat? It will get the message that it needs to stay clear. Will it know exactly what it did wrong? No. Who cares? I don't. Long as it keeps its nasty territory marking ass off my property.
    Josh Smestad likes this.
  16. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Hahaha!!! It's funny cuz it's true.
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I thought you were going fishing this weekend. What are you doing home and on the computer ???
  18. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +625 / 0
    Feral cats, the scourge of all birds everywhere are treated with a single application of .25 cal "Cat Be Gone." Doesn't disturb near-by neighbors, surgically-accurate, effective . . .
    [IMG]
    Alex MacDonald and Jim Wallace like this.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Hey OMJ, I couldn't help but notice that your current avatar image might resemble the last thing a cat would see if you had just caught it pissing in your boots. :D
    jjaims and Old Man like this.
  20. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA

That was just before I left. Beautiful water up there on those creeks in the Sky basin. Still too high to be really good but I can see now in a month those are gonna be awesome. We both got a few nice little fish, though.
    Richard Torres likes this.