NFR: The state of the forum

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Allison, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Allison -- I found it quite fascinating when you did this to the Hi-Lakers!

You really stirred up their nest for a while with your critiques.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If WFF has declined I am personable responsible. I guess I can't tell the diff between a bulletin/message board vs an interactive forum. Fishin' is slow, more senseless dribble with easily avoided thread subjects. Fishin' is good, more fishing reports and good tidbits. It is all my fault for the high post counts. I should be parked. I believe in what my WFF friend MS says in post #7 above. Read that again please. I agree with Matt.

I enjoyed my 3 hrs @ Tye lake today. Now i'm wined up tending a fire that can be seen from space. I stayed the weekend on the Skagi got some spey casting in and never saw a fish. Family, friends @ the Jimmy Greeen Memorial and meeting new friends (taxon, buddah, arthur, doublespey and others) as well as many familiar faces...I think this forum is a great place. Thanks Chris (who I think I saw from a distance late today). Sorry to all, If WFF sucks now it is all my fault.

(Bill, Jeff,Eric, Leland, Ross, Jerry, Scott...great seeing you and introducing you to my family today.)

3. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

Media:
    Did Ed Call while I was out? Sorry, this is probably the useless drivel people are talking about here, and I guess it is all your fault!:)

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Appears someone's paying attention to the Board: Threads: 45,355, Posts: 441,109, Members: 12,679, Active Members: 3,280

:thumb:

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Hmmm . . . with 12,679 members and 3,280 active members, posting an 'open' fishing report seems like a sure-fire way to find 6 other guys and a week's worth of trash at your favorite spot next time you visit. My fishing reports have gone only to a tight list of friends for years for just that reason.

K

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    iagree

7. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
  8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I go to Frontier Anglers(Dillon) to ask hows the fishing and pick up a few flies. I never ask where to go because. People here in Montana are very frendly and don't worry about any secret places. Where ever there is water running down hill and in some kind of channel there will be trout in it.

I don't think that there is any secret water here. You can go to water up in the hills and not see another person there or marks of them passing. Not a lot of garbage laying around from sloppy people.

I guess I got off of the topic. But I just wanted to point out how things differ from Washington to here.

And yes Ed, you have turned this place upside down. You'll never catch me so quit trying. Only if I die.

Jim

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Forums go in cycles. Rise/fall ebb/flow etc. The old "kings" leave, new people show up and eventually become the old kings. Sometimes it happens at once sometimes it happens one at a time.

Everyone is real brave behind a keyboard and a fake name. That will always bring out the worst in a lot of people. You've got to take it with a grain of salt and just let the idiots be idiots. Nothing you say is going to change them into useful people.

And more than anything, keep in mind that this is just an internet forum. 99% of the people who annoy you on this forum are probably great guys to fish a run and share a beer with. Despite its usefulness, the internet is often a sub-par method for accurate transmission of the subtleties of communication. Which is the source of a lot of problems. A raised eyebrow can flip the meaning of a statement from asinine to hilarious in real life. The internet doesn't have that ability, and all the "smileys" in the world aren't going to change that fact.

10. spokanefishin

spokanefishin Chad

If everyone just does searches and finds all they are looking for then you don't need a forum.. Just a database.. I see that on a lot of forums and my response is always, what will you have to do on the forum without people posting? My attitude with forums has always been post whatever you want whenever you want. Keeps it interesting.. My 3 cents.

11. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    I spend very little time on fly fishing forumns any more, point of dimiishing returns set in a few years ago for me. Ten years of it was enough, better off going to read a fishing book, or evey perhaps go fishing. :thumb:

:beer1::p

HE

12. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Hi Allison,

Hey, I remember you posted some usefull info on flyfishing the central wa lakes last spring. I appreiceated that because I was not able to fish those areas and enjoy living them vicarously thorugh reports posted by you and others.

I have been a member of WFF for only one year, so I was not privillaged to experience this forum from years past like you have.

What has changed? How was it better in the past? What can we do to make it better?

I really enjoy the forum now and am sad to think that I missed out on the "good old days"

Chris's idea to get us to use our real names is a positive.

I am guilty for expressing my feelings on the fly shop in Seattle that had an owner who gave consistant service, but man that took a weight off my chest to say it and it was good to find out I was not the only one who had the exact same experience as mine. Chris deleted that thread for which I am gratefull.

Thanks for weighing in, Allison, and starting this thread. Maybe us newbies can learn from your experience to make this a better place to be.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well when I'm dead and gone you will have the good old days to yourself. When this site was smaller it was a close knit group.

Some of the outings had many members show up. So of the Dry Falls outings were a blast. Thirty members could throw a good drunk. Like the one at Yakima one October that I remember. What a hangover.

14. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Thanks for reminding me, Jim-I'm gonna mix me a drink and have a cigar! This thread reminds me of Burgess Meridith's line in "Grumpy old Men"..."I'm 94 years old; what the HELL do I care?". Gotta love it!
    Alex

15. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

I'd like to think I didn't "do" anything to the HL club except ask what kind of club it wanted to be. I got my answer, and then I moved on.

Now the Hi-Lakers seems a vital force once again, and I rejoined the club recently. I probably did little to cause that, but I'm happy it happened, because I was not at all comfortable asking the questions.

It is weird to watch a forum make that jump to very large and more impersonal, but it seems inevitable. Still a good forum here, do not get me wrong on that.

AW

16. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i agree with most of what everyone said. what disturbs me is when members do a post just to build up the number of posts and nothing is added to the thread. not that i am always doing the right thing but it took me 5 years to get 1000 posts. mike w

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    When I first joined this forum, it seemed like I tried to answer every post. But now that I've been here just about as long as it's been on the web I don't anymore. This is still a fun forum don't get me wrong. But with it's growth it seems to have lost a little on the way.

It went from one forum to about eight now, give ot take one or two. So I guess you lose a little in it.

Too many how to questions. Like what should I use or what fly. I could go on but why. I think most questions should be asked at the local fly shop. They have way better answers than most here will give you. Besides I don't listen to anybody here. I so set in my ways that when ever I buy something I get what I want and not what everybody thinks I should get. Afterall it is me using it.

Here I go again off on another tanget.

Jim

18. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Latest Report:

Didn’t go fishin’ Saturday. Went to the T… Lake shindig instead. Didn’t catch any fish.

Didn’t fish on Sunday. Didn’t catch any fish either.

Hope this report makes all the “Protectors of Secrets” happy!!

Less drivel – more facts – no secrets…..

All done, bye, bye!

Jc

19. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Hope this report makes all the “Protectors of Secrets” happy!!

Since Allison has asked a great question, and the forum is growing, I thought I'd clue a few of you in ettiquette and the shit way a bunch of you fish for fishing spots. I love to share how to, what line, which rod, what fly, how to cast, what general area of a river, what time of year in an area, what presentation which floating craft, ect ect ect ect. I love sharing all of that with most anybody. In fact a bunch of us take great pride in giving out any information in any way we can to help everyone around us in any way to catch more fish. It's to continue on the flyfishing traditon of helping newbies just as we were taught by our mentors. It really is the fabric that holds together our community. A unique community of sharing, fun, drink and some tall tails. But you know what? I'm tired of folks bitching and trying to "turn things around" or become victims because some of us do not and will not give away rivers, lakes and "spots" In fact one of the pre-internet joys of flyfishing was the trial and error process of getting skunked, enjoying nature and then finally finding that "spot" and enjoying it for a few years before it was found out by others. How in the hell do some of you have the balls to attack and ridicule members for wanting specific fishing spots out of public forums or websites? Some of you are like little kids who are told NO when they ask for a cookie.:rolleyes: You stamp your feet, cry, whine, jest at with rolled eyes and if that doesn't work, you go on the attack. Now the comeback is always "There are no secrets anymore". Really? Then why are you "fishing" on this site? Than why are these forums pounded by new anglers the world over every day all day. Than why do some of us land 10-50 winter runs in one river every year and the rest of the community averages 1-5 a winter. It's water selection as much as anything else. More fish, less pressure equals better flyfishing most of the time. I would show you how to cast, which line, what fly, but never ever "WHERE" when I was a steelhead bum. NEVER! I paddled, drove, hiked, crawled and climbed into those spots. There are runs, lakes, creeks and rivers that afford good to great fishing in Washington even in 2009 and nobody is obligated to give them to you because you asked. When they politely say NO, it should end there out of respect for each other as anglers. But not in 2009. That is their right, just as it is your right to try to discover those spots by fishing online or lurking in the shadows on 27 different flyfishing sites like some folks do. I figured out this bonefish fishery (and am still learning every day) by FISHING, not online, not in a tavern, not in a "club". And I understand some of us have limited time with family, jobs, and the like. I'd ask where to fish myself if I was time strapped. Hell I have been there many times on vacations, ect. But I do not and will never expect a fellow angler to give me his best places if asked. I respect my fellow angler enough to know those spots are his/hers. Maybe some of you are too new to this stuff to understand that. You don't ask other anglers how sex is with their wife, just as you don't ask them where their favorite trout river, steelhead run, or Kamloops lake is and expect a straight honest answer. If you ask me, I give you something in the top 10 if I like you and if you are pushy I give you a shit spot and let you figure out it sucks. I know of a pond that still exists in the Seattle area has loads of wild cutthroat up to 20 inches, and still is only fished by the one buddy (Marty) I showed it to 8 years ago before I left Seattle. He has never run into another angler there and it fishes as good now as it did 8 years ago. It will continue to do so, maybe even get better. For a reason...........

If they want to share their "spots" online, more power to them, but if they don't have some class, thank them for the information you did get and move on with a smile and a tip of the cap and wish them "Tight lines!" That's flyfishing. Tight lines Coach

20. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see the irony in a thread whining and complaining on the forum about, well, whining and complaining on the forum?:D

I think most of the problems arise from people not liking when someone disagrees with them and something in the translation from the internet gets lost. I agree with what Josh said about most folks, even though they are annoying as hell on here, are actually probably cool to fish with or around.

Just my 2 cents plus tax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.