(NFR) Tired of the F&^%$& language

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I just read a thread that in about half of the responses the author had to throw in an F-bomb or two. It seems that the vocabulary of the website is degenerated to more *&^%%^ than using real words. Not long ago if there was any profanity on the board someone would speak up and say it was unnecesary and unwelcome. But that doesn't happen any more.
    I will probably get flamed for this; being accused of being a prude or if I don't like don't read it ETC ETC.
    Maybe we should have NPA (no profanity allowed) headings in the titles :ray1:
    Why not try to make your point without using profanity it will elevate the conversation.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

2. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Tired of the F&^%$& language

profanity can be used to make a point, so i guess there are some situations where it is good. But i think it is really annoying when ppl swear like rappers (i.e what the f*** are you f***ing doing you f***ing jacka$$.)

3. roadhog

roadhog professional freight relocator

iagree iagree iagree

hey there jesse. totally agree with you one this one. it's about time, right? hey how did the joe fish on Sat. see ya on the water hopefully sometime soon. roadhog :thumb:

4. noway

noway Banned or Parked

Media:

thanks for the example

5. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

You might have to im the moderators and owner of this web site, due to some of them have potty mouths as well.

IMO it doesn't bother me, boys will be boys...

It really comes down to how much Effin' Chris censors... jk.

:confused:

6. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:

I don't like to call it profanity, I like to call it 'anger adjectives'. You see as stress rises due to every day problems people use these problematic 'anger adjectives' more and more. So as the day goes on the more people forget how bad that soap tasted when they were children. It would occur to me that most of the people on this site are either at work, have gotten off of a long days work, or had one hell of a sorry day of fishing; so you can see where the problem comes from... work. I believe to solve this problem everybody should stop working. Good luck and Amen.

Sean

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:

I'm with you, Jesse. As an ex-paratrooper, I can swear with the best of them, I just choose not to, especially when younger folks might hear or read the profanity.

I had a friend tell me that people use profanity to emphasize a point because their vocabulary isn't rich enough to make their point without it.

8. Rob Bodkin

Rob Bodkin Member

Media:

Yeah, the fucking language on this site has really gone to shit!

While I would tend to not use profanity in my postings, I believe those to be the first ones I've ever used here, I think that unless profanity is directed at someone it's not my place to tell another how to communicate. And who gets to decide what is profane? For some it's the "biggies", but a "god damn" would be o.k.. For some that exclamation would be doubly offensive. It's a slippery slope and frankly most people don't curse when it comes to written expression.

For some, profanity is an acceptable and normal part of their vocabulary. For me, I think that the use of profanity generally communicates a lack of verbal creativity and can be an indication as to the depth of ones vocabulary.

However, there are times when it can be used as an appropriate punctuation.

And sometimes it's just fucking funny.

9. QHays

QHays Premember

I don't think I can friggin' think without using some friggin' bad words every friggin' once in a while... Words are just words -- some of us have large vocabularies but think less of dropping the ocassional f-bomb. It's not meant to offend you so don't let it. Again -- words are just words...

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

Hey Jesse, it's just another day at WashingtonWhiteTrash . com. You don't like hang'n in our hood, get the ____ out!

11. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Fuckin' geezers.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:

Hey, lighten up on that geezer shit!

K

13. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:

Well as a retired commercial fisherman I've used about every cuss word invented, but in the company of Ladies or kids I turn it off. We had one professor on our boat for thirteen years that used the f word in the first day of teaching his nursing class at SVC after returning from Alaska.

But I must say after reading your post I almost spit my new dentures across the room I was laughing so hard.

Daryle

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

Actually Jesse, as was said, the use of language like that on a public board like this that includes kids, ladies, people at work, etc is a combo of poor vocab skills (good ole WA state public school system assuming they made it very far through it) and poor upbringing in general. Someone's dad just didn't take the belt too him like he needed and now he (in general) thinks he can disrespect anyone he wants. Basic respect and common decency is hard to come by now days. Then you get on the internet and you get all these tough guy wannabes who want to impress everyone somehow - and since we already said they aren't the brightest fish in the school.... well, they aren't too creative in how they go about trying to impress people... (think beevus and butthead sitting around laughing like morans because they said something 'naughty'). So I just look past those posts now days and don't let it phase me. Nothing we can do about it really but use it as a reminder to make sure we see our own kids through HS and college (and not some liberal dope head school like Evergreen or something where they worship that kind of stuff) and raise them to respect others and themselves.

15. theworm

theworm Member

Media:

Seriously.......... Why does it matter?

Have fun and relax. Contrary to popular belief, flyfishing is all about having fun. So mellow out and have fun.

"I maybe going to hell in a bucket, but atleast I am enjoying the ride"

16. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:

Why does it matter? It mattered to the original poster in that he felt he needed to say something. As you suggested, we all need to mellow out and have a little fun, and everyone has a different take on what fun is. :thumb:

17. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:

If someone's got to explain it to you, you won't get it anyway. He was just asking for a little common civility. The responses are unfortunate, but very predictable.:(

18. theworm

theworm Member

Media:

Turn the channel if you don't like the shit on TV.

19. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:

Like everything, it has a time and place, however I don't think that a public forum like this is that place.

20. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

I'm with Jesse on this issue. The ues of profanity in any form demeans the user and is caustic to the ears and eyes of those who have to hear or view it. You will never see any of this type of language in my posts. Yes I can choose to not view this site because I don't like it, but the purpose of this site is to pass information and the site does this quite well at times, or am I missing the purpose of this web site. If you are angry about something, say you are angry. You don't need to use profanity to get your point accross. This site is viewed by young people and children. Yes, they hear profanity in other places, but do they need to view it here where we have a chance to control it? No. What is our society becoming? We as flyfisherman often set ourselves up a slightly higher group, choosing to persue our fishing passion on a sightly higher plane. Time to climb up to that plane with our language also. Commentators, can you step up to the plate on this issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.