NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    That should be two words, or hyphenated :)

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

i'm with you man. everyone gets along great on here. so we don't need some wanna-be english teacher on here.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

okay...since we are on the matter, about the use of loose and lose...I think maybe our written language is changing and we are in midst of history changing....20 years from now it will be acceptable. 2nite I rest, 2morow I will B well rested and thnk about wht Ive 4goten! More and more people are reading txts and computer forum language and not the written ink word.

4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I have no idea how old any of you guys are, where you went to school, or how much schooling you had. Nor do really give a rat a$$. But when I went to school English classes were madatory! Grades 1 through 8 + 3 years during 9 through 12. And if you went to college you had more of it rammed down your throat, whether (not weather or wither) you wanted it or not! And no one hated it worse than I. Or stuggled as hard to even get a passing grade. But eventually some of it stuck.

While we're at it, keyboards only came on manually operated typewriters. Typing classes were only taken by girls and nerds. Texting has it's place. Like shorthand of years past. But it is not and will not replace proper English or diction. There are legitiment reasons why some words that are spelled differently and sound the same and some that are spelled the same sound different. There is more to it than stupid rules that drive you nuts.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Now that we are onto page two, I too, will reply to this thread. I was not going to right away. I did not want to get in too soon, but also wanted to add my two sentences, or a few, to this gathering. JD, they may not have had typing glasses for boys in your day. I'm no spring chicken. I have learned to type pretty well for a dude. Actually, the rate at which I get paid is greatly accentuated by my typing ability. The longer it takes me to produce whatever product I've been tasked with, the longer it takes me to earn the funds for that project.

I make more errors in spelling, grammar and syntax than most. I am not a role model.

6. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

I'm very,very sorry I started this. It just bugged the crap out of me for a second and I allowed the impulse to dictate my course of action. I really appreciate this forum as a resource to improve my fishing, learn more about the fishery and conservation, and generally make my day better when I can't actually get out and fish. I apologize if I offended anyone. We all fish the fly (hopefully) and I would like to think we can agree that that alone implies some level of intellect. Sorry again folks.

-James

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

MW,
    Sorry you didn't catch any fish, I know how that can affect a man.

Ed,
    What the hell is syntax? Do I owe the government any money?

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    • the grammatical arrangement of words in sentences
    • a systematic orderly arrangement
    • studies of the rules for forming admissible sentences

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If you want to see a new language. Watch the kids when they text each other. My granddaughter's finger fly over them little keys on her phone. I don't care what she is saying as I don't understand their symbols.

10. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Story of my life right there...:)

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Rivers are tu hi tu fish so I am goin' tu hang out here at home and count my flies buy toos

12. Preston

Preston Active Member

to/too/two, there/their/they're, advise/advice, the examples are numerous. I've put together a document (currently running to 13 pages) of common and really ludicrous spelling and grammar errors, mostly from this website. Presumably, most posters here have, at least, a high school education and most of these errors involve grammar and spelling which should be obvious to middle school (or younger) students. And, yes, sometimes it's difficult to make any sense at all out of some posts, simply due to bizarre spelling and grammar. How in the world can someone substitute "are" for "our"? I've seen it done more times than I care to count.

How many of you who actually fish for steelhead would spell it stealhead? One that I still chuckle at was the guy who was standing "... waste deep in the water"; which sounds like a pretty nasty place to be.

13. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Thank you for saying this. This has been bothering me for the longest time, but I must agree wholeheartedly on the subject. I find it actually distracts me from the meaning of the posting when there are a blatant erroneous spelling of words... and often.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Oh soooooo true!

:) But one small correction to the above: "Steelhead" is a proper name/noun and should be capitalized. Unless, of course, the word is being used as a pronoun. :)

Just kidding, just kidding ... but I'm a pretty darned good 'speller,' but I still use a 'spell checker' for everything. All that aside, a word of warning ..... 'Live by a spell checker, you'll die by the same tool.' As Preston points out above ... 'it' doesn't know what word you want/need to use, it's just going to tell you if you spelled 'what-ever' correctly.bawling:

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yeah, but the spell checker here underlines the word Steelhead and a few other names that are spelled right. I guess it doesn't understand fishing terms. Snohomish also gets an underline. It thinks you are saying something else.

Jim

16. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

And 'there in hangs the rub' OM, 'there in hangs the rub.' Spell checkers are a good tool, but just that, a tool. Have yet to see one that's all inclusive and kept up to date.

17. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

I went to Arizona State...I hope that explains my spelling & grammar errors.
    I did plenty of this :beer1:!

18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Whoops

19. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    What is with people defending their piss poor spelling? I don't care that much, but if I couldn't spell, I might not post too much here...but, I want to hear your fishing stories regardless! So, keep them coming, we'll put up with you! It's like defending your smoking habit.....!! :beathead:

20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

As a long-time teacher, I cringe at poor spelling and grammar. The absolute worst, however, is the use of "well" and "good" or should I say the misuse of the two words. Poor grammar and spelling is a result of poor attention to detail. Our spell checker programs also have a grammar check. Since we write on the forum often, we should take the time to make sure what we post is somewhat correct. Truth is, the farther down this road we go, the further trouble we get into. Now figure that one out