NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I'll plead the 5th...

Famous quote... "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    -Abe Lincoln

2. My theory: Our nation's rising rate of grammatical errors is correlated with the rising popularity of Sarah Palin.

3. Lugan--- You are right on! Ha! Too funny, but sadly true. Scares the sh_t out of me...

4. Ah m tu tird tu tak giv a sht

5. Rather you plead the Fifth. To be correct, numbers ten and under are always spelled out. Now let's all go get a Fifth and tip a few. :rofl:

6. Damn it! The City screwed up- I live on 3rd not Third.

P.S. "Teech" you forgot a period at the end of your sentence a couple posts up.
    Of course, you could have added an exclamation point too.
    :ray1: :)

7. I never imagined this thread would get so much mileage when I initially posted. It is reassuring that a fair amount people are as irritated as I when such blatant mistakes are made. Seriously though, I'd like to bury this one.

Lugan: If the calling fish won't bite, tell em' "go straight to hell boys"

8. That's a great but obscure rule, Steve! But you shouldn't have capitalized "Fifth". ;-)

9. Right on, boy-o!

10. ...and we wonder why people have a hard time learning English. :)

11. Stew, it's cuz the english ain't talk english right.

12. Capitalize Fifth when it refers to a proper noun, like the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I can't believe people still use "irregardless."

And increasingly I'm reading in supposed learned papers about "methodologies." WTF? I used the XYZ methodology in my experiment. Why? Wasn't the XYZ method good enough? How many methods are in a methodology? Isn't methodology the study of methods? Crap!

Sg

13. Methodology - 1)The system of principles, practices and procedures applied to a specific branch of knowledge. 2)The branch of logic dealing with the general principles of the formation of knowledge.

American Heritage Dictionary (second college edition); Houghton Mifflin, Boston; 1985

I had a course in comparative methodologies at a univeristy that prints diplomas on some mighty fine looking paper. Course highlighted a simple principle that someone taught me long ago...there are many ways to skin a cat (metaphorically speaking). I'm just a dumb monkey though...and can clearly recall being taught that irregardless was a word and how to use it by a high school teacher. At least he believed he was right and sold it as if it were gospel. Most of his students ignored his plea, regardless of how forceful he presented.

14. Good point Salmo, how about "orientated", whatever happened to "oriented".

Fred A. Evans,
    In fact, steelhead is not a "proper noun". While the rules are not crystal clear, that term is usually reserved for names of people and things (like institutions). Neither the dictionary nor the scientific literature recognize "steelhead" as a proper noun. A good example is the capitalization of Dolly Varden and the non-capitalization of bull trout. Dolly Varden is the proper name (albeit of a fictional character in Charles Dickens' novel, Barnaby Rudge) while "bull trout" lacks that distinction.
    Oddly enough, I once met a German whose family name was Stahlkopf which, if I can remember any of my high school German correctly, would translate as "steel head".

I've wondered where the name "steelhead" came from and, of course, the color of a fresh-run steelhead is often mentioned, but I've always leaned toward an explanation I read once (if memory serves, it may have been in one of Haig-Brown's books). According to his source, in the day when steelhead were fair commercial quarry, the steelhead's thicker skull required two or three blows with the fish club instead of the one tap required by other salmon species; hence, steelhead. I used to take my steelhead to the local fish market to have them filleted (my filleting skills are limited and the fillets usually wound up looking like someone had carried out the operation with a dull axe) and the fish cutter assured me that the bone structure of the steelhead is, overall, stronger and heavier than that of other salmons. In fact, he complained that after filleting one he had to re-sharpen his knife, something that was only rarely necessary in an entire day of filleting other salmon.

15. Dam I chek in here and find 4 pages of this, and not one complaint about people who say
    "larnix" instead of "lair-inks" when they are trying to pronounce the word "larynx" when referring to the human "voice box."
    OK, I'm dun. Any more coffee and I'll have to go pass some "mysterious water.":rofl:

16. There is something to be said for paying attention to detail, whether it is in how we fish, or how we communicate about it. Ultimately, in an educated society, if one wants to be taken seriously, one should pay attention to details of grammar and spelling, as well as facts.

The caveat "an educated society" may, of course, leave out Sarah and her fans...

Dick

17. Well you got me beat,I haven't gotten a rise all day !

18. According to recent reports, her popularity is actually decreasing. I suspect she'll fade from the American consciousness before too long. Too bad that, as she provides hella good entertainment.

19. Thanks for the tip. When I get my new glasses, maybe I'l be able to see the period key on my keyboard. I never said I was perfect; just someone who looks at those things and I'm glad some others do as well. That means you paid attention to your teachers. And, an exclamation point is a matter of preference as long as we're picking at each other. :rofl:

20. The absolutely dismal level of the U.S. educational system is well demonstrated by the growing popularity of "Jersey Shore" on MTV and by the results of the 2008 election when the illiterate American electorate fell for the the empty and meanlingless "Hope and Change" ruse and Barry Puddin head was voted into office. Sad Days for a once great nation. At least we can text while driving. Grammar and spelling be damned.