NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,099 / 1
    Seems noone understood my point at the end of page one and I'm also a teacher.

Ira..
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Sure, McCain and Palin would have been so much better. We're asked to evaluate a two-headed monster every four years, and told to vote for one head or the other. The rest of the carcass is the same.

Also, your last semi-sentence about grammar lacks a verb, which is ironic.
  3. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Fine, then let's adopt Ebonics. That's just English, "changed".
  4. James Harrington Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Best reply yet (even though I feel pissed on).

Any more cigarettes and I will no longer possess a larynx.
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Lynx are endangered and must be released unharmed. I'm not sure what cigarettes have to do with lynx though.
  6. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,337 / 0
    Maybe I missed something skipping through four pages of grammar police squaring off. Who cares? It's proven that intelligent human beings barely notice such errors(it doesn't reduce the speed of reading at all). Intelligent people automatically re-assemble words in their mind to what they should be. Try reading a paragraph with the letters in the words completely re-arranged. You'll be suprised. Or not.
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    The end is near, we fall deeper into the shit hole every day. We can't speak or write correctly. We are "dumbing down" our children in schools. And we turn every issue into a tirade against Sarah Palin. If you think this forum has an issue in writing, you should see some of the legal documents produced at "the Lazy B" by professional engineers. I have final approval of them and I only have a GED. Yet I can see the errors quite easily. Why we strive to be stupid instead of improving is beyond my understanding. I have a rope, anyone want their head pulled out...?
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Roper, you pessimist. I get to read to a 5 year old fly fishy chicklet that has a remarkable vocabulary and zeal for learning. Then I get read to by her 7 year old sister who is also a fly fishy chicklet that likely has an ability to deliver a story with perfect diction, voice inflection and knows exactly what a poignant pause is and how to use it. Fear not, all is not lost.
  9. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Thanks Mumbles, I needed that....good night!
  10. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +474 / 0
    Hey, Jim W.
    One of my favorites is "et cetera", (sometimes "etcetera"), Latin for "and others", which is, almost universally mispronounced as "ek cetera" and usually incorrectly abbreviated as "ect." instead of "etc."
  11. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    OK, so if the proper use of capitals is so arbitrary, read the following sentences...

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse.

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

I think your grammar is an indication of intelligence and self respect.
    Can we add than/then to the thread?
    How about there/their/they're?
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Huh? I didn't know you were suppose to capitalize the J in Jack off. Learn something new everyday.
  13. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    If your uncle Jack was stuck on a roof, would you help your uncle jack off?
  14. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +474 / 0
    Roper,
    You're only too right about "educated" engineers. I, too, had to spend a lot of my day at TBC correcting the work of people, many with advanced degrees, who had difficulty expressing a simple sentence, let alone spelling the words correctly. One young engineer actually told me with pride that he hadn't read a book in the five years since he had graduated.
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    No offense intended...I just couldn't hold that one in.
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I recently learned that it is no longer legit to type two spaces after the punctuation mark ending a sentence. That was a rule we were taught back when type sets were differently arranged than they are now. Way back when the early typewriters were being made, each letter had the same amount of space assigned to it. Thus an "i" would have more space between it and surrounding letters than say, a "w." To compensate for this slight difference in letter spacing, two empty spaces were required for easier visual clarity at the end of a sentence. No more. All modern type uses the same amount of space between letters, so the extra space after the end of a sentence is no longer required.

I just found this out the other day and made the switch. I'll bet I'm the last to do this!
  17. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    I put two spaces at the end of a sentence.

I also put two spaces between the state abbreviation and the zip code in an address. Wonder if this is now wrong.

Screw me. I can’t spell, I don’t know how to use punctuation and now I can’t even use empty space properly.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Well said KerryS. I too use two spaces after a sentence like I was taught to many years ago. I too insert two spaces between the two letter state abbreviation and the destination to zip code. I too don't know if I'm doing it all wrong, can't spell, properly punctuate or form sentences and I know that I'm a total misuse of space.
  19. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,099 / 1
    Eats shoots and leaves.

I get it when it matters, but what about when it doesn't matter? When the meaning is not lost or misunderstood? Why fight for "proper" when "proper" doesn't make sense? I'll grab your rope Roper but only to loop it around other archaic thoughts that are similar to ones that at one time were accepted as "proper" good form like oh I don't know... slavery, banning of mixed marriages. Try reading the original text of the Declaration of Independence, bet you can't do it. Does this mean we should question the grammatical ability of our founding fathers?

Ira..
  20. Paul Norton Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    You do indeed put two spaces between your sentences, but have you noticed? The browsers reduce it to just one. Yeah, they're "fixing" that for you. Look back at your post and try to highlight just one of the two spaces.

Having said that: don't let the space nazi's tell you how 2 type, life's too short to spend time on one versus two spaces in informal communication. (Or even formal, although I do try to be careful in a formal setting.)