NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

It's probably not your browser. It's probably the server of the forum or other website you're typing into.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Did someone actually take my posts seriously? What is the world coming two.

3. None taken.

4. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Nope, all the browsers normalize whitespace, although how they go about it varies from browser to browser which can be a total pain.

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

New language-kids

Kid's have their own lanquage. Spoken as well as written. My generation was no different. But, sooner or later, one has to enter the real world and hack out a living. How well you present yourself starts, not only with your resume, but when you first open your mouth.

Case in point: current chief exec. Very articulate speaker, beyond that,,,, well? Let's not go there.

6. guybg

guybg New Member

I took a blueprint reading class a couple years ago, and one of the prints the instructor used as a teaching aid had all of the spelling correct on it, but the measurements printed for two locating holes in a bracket put one hole nearly inside the other (not represented that way graphically).

This was on a blueprint for a fire truck, provided by a local company the instructor worked with.

I pointed this out to the instructor who verified my math...

Sometimes spelling is the least of our problems.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Too funny by Half! And reminded me of 'two incidents,' one 'my error,' another 'someone else's. First mine from a couple of days ago .. vis a vis the 'riots' in Egypt. Appears 250,000 folks are going (to one degree or another) 'Nuts.' Comment I heard was 'wait a minute, there are 80 MILLION people in that Country.' Touch of 'mental math' and that's a really tiny number. Actually got the 'math' right (3/10ths of one percent).

What I posted was "3% of the Population appear to be involved, are the other 97% sitting this one out?" Well, a simple typo, I typed 3% rather than .3$ so the next sentence should have come out as 99.7%, not 97 .... My Bad. Fellows on the UK board had a bit of fun at my exspense, but it was all good natured as they knew I'd plugged in a 'typo' and went down hill from there.

Sheesh! And I have a Masters in Economics and another (amoung others) in Statistics. These are 'errors' you just don't make .. even if your 'end game conclusions' are pure BS.

The other was one of the early Martian Landers ..... the landing part actually should have been fairly straight forward. Save for one tiny, tiny bit. Have the guys crunching the numbers were using standard 'yards, feet, inches, etc;' the other half the Metric System. Lander came to a complete stop ....... about 10' under ground ......

Amazing to me that you can 'shoot' something off, aim it at something else millions of miles away, hit it dead on ... and SPLAT!

fae

8. guybg

guybg New Member

LOL...yeah I remember that quite well...NASA was pretty embarrassed! And pretty worried about their next couple of missions too....

9. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

To drive a point home

Too funny by Half! And reminded me of 'two incidents,' one 'my error,' another 'someone else's. First mine from a couple of days ago .. vis a vis the 'riots' in Egypt.

By the time I had read this far, I knew who's thoughts I was reading. Now tell me a guys signature is not recognizable as soon as he opens his mouth or sets pen to paper.

10. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Are spaces considered punctuation?

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

unsubscribe

12. teedub

teedub Active Member

eye thik hees wright - speling maters

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Hey Kerry - Bob Nix is a buddy of mine and said he really enjoyed meating you on the Skagit.

14. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Dumb down the populace

For those of you who still refuse to believe that any of this matters, consider the movement to re-write the US Constitution because, as Nancy Pelosi says, it was written over one hundred years ago! Actually, 220 years ago. (Evidently she can't do basic math either). It was not written by Wm. Skakespere in Elizabethan English. It was written by Thomas Jefferson, not in law speak, but in lay terms so that everyone could understand it! :beathead:

The first amendment (of which the press is so fond) guarantees not ony freedom of speech, but also freedom of religon. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or the press; or the right to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
    Anyone with a basic understanding of the English language will understand that the so called "separation of church and state" clause simply says that goverment cannot establish a religon. Period! Nowhere does it prohibit the practice of a religon wherevever one chooses to practice.

Second amendment:
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    Contrary to what many would have you believe, what this is really saying is (#1) "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" because (#2) it is necessary that they(the common man who is the militia) need be well armed in order to defend the state. This was recently confirmed by the US Supreme Court in Heller vs, D.C. and in McDonald vs. Chicago.

So, those who are incapable, incompetent, lacking the necessary ability, capacity, of understanding basic English, are suseptable to the notion that we need to re-write the U.S. Constitution, because no one today can understand it. And do you really think you will have any rights left when they get done with you?

15. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

too- means also, like I have one of those too

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Speyfisher,

You might enjoy the movie Idiocracy. I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list.

Sg

17. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Dumb down the populace

Quiz: Does anyone see the irony in this snippet?

18. BDD

BDD Active Member

:rofl: That's okay, you live Woolley...nobody expects too much from you. :clown:

Seriously, nobody is perfect. Do I make punctuation and spelling mistakes? Absolutely. I don't try to but it still happens. Do I appreciate good writing skills? You bet. I take posts more seriously when they are well thought out and written. I also know that I develop impressions of people based on their writing. It may not be fair but who says life is fair? I know it is not a strong suit for some people so I either have patience with them or ignore them, whichever I feel like like at the moment. Chances are if it is about steelhead, I'll work a little at deciphering bad grammar and spelling. :thumb:

19. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Irony noted, but what do I know, I'm just lost in the supermarket.

20. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

I think that's probably why they call the "separation of church and state" clause the "Establishment Clause".