nfr: Top 10 'guy' flicks.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

THis is an exciting thread because I was discussing 'manly films' with a friend the other day. My theory was that there are very few modern day manly movies because there are few manly actors. Even action flicks aren't really manly because certain actors just can't pull off the tough guy routine.

I trend to older movies a little bit. When tough guys were supposed to be hardened and men of action, as opposed to metrosexuals and in touch with their feelings?

Here's my list:

Death Hunt- Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin in a cat and mouse game played out in a Yukon Winter. Charles Bronson jumping out of the remains of his cabin with two shotguns is worth the price of admission.

Duck You Sucker: Not Sergio Leone's best flick, but he never made a bad movie. James Coburn and Rod Steiger find their way into the revolution and blow up lots of stuff.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: Just the speech at the end "Knock it off or we'll destroy you" ..Classic.

Braveheart: Who seriously didn't want to charge across a field with a battle axe after watching that?

Sudden Impact: Crook: [during a diner robbery] What's you doing, you pighead sucka?
    Harry Callahan: Every day for the past ten years, Loretta here's been giving me a large black coffee- except today she gives me a large black coffee and it has sugar in it. Alotta sugar. I just came back to complain.
    Crook: Say what, sucka?
    Harry Callahan: Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here.
    Crook: Who'se we sucka?
    Harry Callahan: [slowly drawing his .44 Magnum] Smith and Wesson... and me.

Fistful of Dollars: "I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it. "

The Dirty Dozen: There will never be a manlier cast ever assmebled: Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, George Kennedy, Lee Marvin, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes.

THe Warriors: I wanted to be a Baseball Fury for halloween once, but some dill stole my idea.

Last of the Mohicans

Jeremiah Johnson: It's tough. I wanted to put Pale Rider here, but some non-Clint movies should represent.

I tried to avoid repeats but here's some awsome flicks people have already mentioned. THey would be in my top 10 but didn't want to beat a dead horse.
    Top 10 flicks already mentioned:

Lonesome Dove: Schools should hand this movie out to boys when they reach 17.

The Guns of Navarone

THe Great Escape

Patton: A great story about one of the greatest American's. "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Cool Hand Luke: "What we got here is a failure to communicate."

Animal House: That scene where Belushi smashes the emo (for lack of a better word) guy's guitar. I've always wanted to do that.

Bridge Over the River Qwai

Monty Python - The Holy Grail

THe Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

2. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

lotta metrosexuals here. :p

3. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

Dances with Wolves
    A River Runs Through It
    Legends of the Fall
    All the Pretty Horses (got to get beyond the name, great movie)
    Anything Western

4. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

This thread is SOY.:eek:

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yeah, thanks, Snake. Must have an air pocket in the grey matter.:cool:

I felt a bit limited with only 10 choices, but everyone's coming up with some good ones.

6. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Come on now... who can't picture Leonardo DeCaprio charging across a muddy battlefield!;)

To add a few:

Sands of Iwo Jima
    Galipoli
    The Patriot
    Sargent York
    High Noon

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Great Flick AKA "A Fistful of Dynamite" I'm a huge Ennio Moriconne fan so anytime a Leone film comes on it's not 10 minutes in before I go grab my jaguar and a tremolo pedal and start playing along... You can imagine how thrilled my wife is with THAT!:rofl: Gotta love Triple-S music... Surf, Spaghetti, and Spy!:thumb:

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

TOMMY BOY

:rofl::rofl:

9. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

#1 ALL TIME BEST = Strange Brew

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

i feel ashamed for forgetting

BATMAN BEGINS

one of the most surprisingly awesome/manly movies ever

11. Sloan Craven

You saved yourself in my eyes, Evan. :thumb:
    Cristian Bale saved Batman. He could go down in history as the only tough guy of our time if he gets a few more good roles.

12. PT

PT Physhicist

13. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Are we that bored with winter?
    1. Die Hard
    2. Die Harder
    3. Die Hard With A Vengeance
    4. Live Free or Die Hard
    5. Top Gun
    6. Rocky 4
    7. The Devil Wears Prada
    8. Days of Thunder
    9. Steel Magnolias
    10. The Princess Diaries

14. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Black Hawk Down
    We Were Soldiers Once (the book is even better)
    Platoon
    Remember the Titans
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Fellowship of the Rings
    Spey to Z
    The Warriors (it's kinda chewy now, but in HS it was cool)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High (kinda weak, but Jeff Spicolli was funny)
    The Patriot
    Blood Diamond
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles

15. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Already mentioned "Pulp Fiction", but remember this line??

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

16. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

The Duke could fill my top 10 and then some

A few of note:

The Shootist
    Big Jake
    True Grit
    The Green Berets
    Rooster Cogburn
    The Cowboys
    The searchers
    Mcklintock
    El Dorado
    Fighting Seabees
    Red River
    Sons of Katie Elder
    Cahill US Marshall
    Brannigan

"Fill your hands you Son of a Bitch"

PS Bullit with James Caan still has one of the best, if not the best car chase scenes ever filmed. Classic

Mark

17. Dan

Dan Member

Having spent 20 years in the Army, I was pleased to see "Zulu" mentioned, as well as "Apocalyse Now" ("I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."), "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers Once". The later are two of the most realistic war movies I have seen.

A couple of others that I like that haven't been mentioned:

From Russia With Love
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Bullitt
    The French Connection
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ("who are those guys?")
    Dr. Zhivago
    DaVinci Code
    Top Gun
    Munich

...and my personal favorite of all time: Men in Black.

18. Sloan Craven

:confused:????

19. full metal jacket
    big lebowski
    lock stock and two smoking barrels
    any starwars (new ones in hd blow my mind)
    pulp fiction
    band of brothers

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Yup, movies only.

Interesting part is I posed the same question on two large UK based fly boards. The 'over lap' of this, and them was darned interesting to 'see/read.' Some new ones 'over there' I'd never heard of, but these guys obviously watch a lot of American Movies .... including one's you'd never suspect. (I'm - think that's still the case - only one who nominated Shreck. Go figure:hmmm:)

Edit: Jeff you forgot to add the final line in the sceen: BANG, BANG BANG, and more bangs.