NFR: Weber Baby Q or Coleman Road Trip?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Josh, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I'm looking for a small "car camping" bbq. There is a lot of clueless feedback on these grills on places like Amazon. But it's hard to wade through the junk to get an idea if one or the other is better.

The Roadtrip comes with a cart/stand thing, the Baby Q's cart is an extra $40. More BTU's and two burners for the Roadtrip. But it sounds like the Baby Q has more solid construction. RoadTrip can use large propane bottles out of the box I believe. I also believe that the Baby Q needs an adapter to use them. However, for weekend car camping trips to the hills or the coast, I probably don't want to haul along a 5 gal bottle anyway. I hear you can't grill with the top down on the Roadtrip, do not know if you can on the Baby Q. Finally, in my mind, Weber has always made nice products and Coleman has serviceable/inexpensive but not high quality products. But that may just be in my head. I can't think of a Coleman product that has failed me. But I also can't think of any I have had for more than a few years.

I'm no grill freak. I just like making the standard burgers/steak/fish/kabobs/etc. I won't need to use this at home, as we got a whopping big grill as a wedding gift from the inlaws a few years back.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have a friend with a roadtrip and he really love it. All of mine that I use for car camping are very old but I do have both coleman and weber portable models and each is still chillin' and grillin'. Personally I have used a wide range of Coleman stuff over the years and would recommend nearly any of their products. Just let us know when you are serving up lunch, we will all come to see which you decide upon.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Josh,

Both brand names have served me well, but I don't have any experience with either item you mention. I always BBQ with charcoal on a Weber and haven't tried it on propane. Somehow the concept just doesn't seem right.

Sg

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Well Weber has a reputation for support and more importantly easy access to replacement parts. I haven't used the coleman but have grilled on my sister in laws Q. I am a little concerned that on the coleman site I can't find info on the grilling surface itself. The weber has porcelan covered cast iron. For longevity, getting a good sear, and "stick free" cooking that matters. It works very well for what it is. Personally if you are only cooking for 2 or 3 folks I would just get a weber smokey joe, a chimney starter, and you're set to go and grilling in 15 to 20 minutes. But between the two you're looking at I'd go weber. I have 3 weber products and they are all awesome.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, gotta put my plug in. I too have used both for years. Still have an old coleman whitegas stove and also have one that ran on propane.

For a few bucks more (don't look at the MSRP on the site, you'llfind it cheaper on the net or at local stores) you can get the Sport Grill MVP by Camp Chef. Runs on propane bottles, and can convert to use the bulk tanks. Comes with cast iron grates, and can be pulled up to put pots on.

Here's the link, remember this is the MSRP, can be found cheaper at stores and the net

http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item/3/26/0/SPG25S/245/Sport Grill MVP.html

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    That Camp Chef looks nice, but it's $110 or so more than either of the others. $130-140 more if you can find one of Joe's frequent coupons.

I'd like to stay in the $120-140 range.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I get what you are saying, but I just don't want to deal with charcoal for a travel/camping grill. Lots of good meals have been cooked on those Smokey Joe's, but they aren't for me.

8. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. Ed Call

Media:

I've got an old model of this one too. I really like it for car camping applications. This fat kid never misses a meal, so any grill will do, this one does it well too!

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Actually, that might not be a bad idea at all if you think it works well. I like the idea of a grill plus a burner for mac/cheese etc.

How is it to grill on? I always feel like those things are bound to be sticky (on the grill surface) and hard to modify the heat. But I've never owned one.

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    Josh, I have a Road Trip. It's ok but I don't really like grilling surface. I'm glad I only paid $2 at a yard sale. I've never actually taken it on a trip as it's a bit big; I find myself always grabbing my little tabletop gas Weber, the Go-Anywhere, instead.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ah, I never priced the others. I normally have my pickup and small Alaskan on board, so have access to all the gadgets of a two burner weekender by camp chef and small propane tank.

The cast iron grilling surface isn't bad. Key is to keep it seasoned, and oil it up after every use. Heat is pretty easy to maintain, once you get the hang of it. Start the heat low, then move it up in temp. The cast iron distributes heat pretty well, and maintains it's heat.

13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Josh, Take a look at the Weber Go Anywhere grills. They come in both gas and charcoal models (I have each) and are dandy grills for car camping. Their claim to fame besides both being excellent cookers is their portability. The legs fold over the top and secure it in place and both units take up far less space than the Q or Coleman. The gas grill runs on either the small bottles or off the bigger propane bottles with a hose. They are easy to carry, set up and store and cost something around $50. I use each on days that I don't want to fire up my Weber Performer or my high powered gas grill.

I have camped with guys that use each of the grills you mention and I think they are nice grills but simply overkill for car camping when only 2 or 3 people are involved. The Go Anywheres sit right on the picnic table if available which puts them at a better height for cooking and provides plenty of area to manage condiments, etc.

Ive

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well Geez, you could always go with this instead. You can cook on top, and bake inside. And should cost close to what you're looking to pay (as I said, MSRP isn't the same).

http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item//0/0/C-OVEN/256/Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range and Stove.html

I actually have this stove. It's pretty cool. Just toss on a table top and hook up a small propane cannister (I have it rigged up to put a bulk tank on it).

Ok, just teasing. It's a great stove/oven. But what you see is what you get. Does run on a small bottle, but you can adapt for the bigger. But a bit big to toss into a car (won't fold down any smaller then you see). Had to toss it out. Using mine pretty regularly and love it. May even adapt my Alaskan to use it inside.

15. Ed Call

Media:
    I happen to have one of these too and you can actually load your kitchen kit and fuel into it when cool, clip the legs over the top and all your kitchen essentials are in one place. These are also well below your intended price range so you can buy more gear!:D

16. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    That Coleman two burner (The one Decker linked) that uses the small canisters is what I use on the rivers for lunches.

17. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I have the single burner version of the Coleman mentioned above by Jeremy. Good unit for about $60 at WalMart. Nice porcelain-coated cast iron grill surface. I cook with pots or a griddle on the grill, or use it as intended as a grille. The temperature control actually works, unlike some that are either full on or off, with little variance in the middle. I use it with an adapter to a 5'er, as it's in my RV. Keeps the bacon grease outdoors.
    Good unit for the $.

18. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
  19. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Josh I am putting a vote in for the baby Q. Weber is usually a bit more expensive but always worth it. Their R and D is for the long haul. Plus the Baby Q has the ability to get very hot which is great for Steaks.
    Good Luck.
    B.

20. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have the Weber Go Anywhere gas grill. Had it for several years now and it's held up well.
    Very basic, but does the trick, and it costs around $50. Small, compact, good quality. Might not be quite what you're looking for, but just tossing it out there.