NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. GraniteDan

GraniteDan New Member

Howdy all...

I'm new here. Been lurking for a while. Thought I'd make my first post when I caught my first winter steelhead on a fly, but it's looking as if that might take a few decades.

Anyway, I worked for Microsoft for twelve years, on the Windows team virtually the whole time. I was a Mac guy before I came to Microsoft. I used Windows exclusively while I worked at Microsoft. The day I left I bought a Mac. I guess that kind of says it all. I'm not really dissing Windows. It's come a long ways and it's definitely a lot of product for a good price. But I love the stability and reliability of the Mac. Never had any trouble with this or any other forum or web site.

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Good for you for trying something different. It's always fun to fish new water, isn't it?

The replies to your query thus far are so predictable it's almost as if you'd asked, 'What's the best 5wt rod I can buy?' or 'Should I get a Ford, Chevy or Dodge pickup?' The answers so far are pretty much, 'You should get what I got because I love it.' Seems to me that if you're up for trying something new, do it because you want to instead of what others say you should do.

I've been a PC user since the bad old IBM and DOS days and a Mac user since the 1984 Super Bowl commercial. As someone who still uses both machines daily, the answer to your question is no, you won't notice any difference between how web sites appear or function from one machine to the next.

What you will notice is a very familiar point and click interface, just with some stuff in different locations. There's a few very minor differences: for instance, the Mac mouse has no right-click function (nor does it need one). And on a Mac, you use the Command key instead of the Control key as a modifier. The last 2 or 3 versions of Microsoft Office operate exactly the same on Window and the Mac and files created in one version are completely interchangeable with the other.

K

3. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I like Mac & cheese :)

4. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

I was a PC guy for years, but switched to Mac and am amazed it hasn't slowed or screwed up since I've owned it 3+ yrs. It makes it easier for Ipod apps too. Gotta have my bluegrass!!

5. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    I use windows & mac, happen to prefer mac.

Kent is mostly correct, except that "right click" is fully functional on a mac mouse on newer systems. I find right click very useful. You can also use a multi button MS mouse if you want.

6. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    On my Mac right now. It's a nice small mess around on the internet computer. It's fast, but IMO not worth the money. It has some great programs for video editing. I have a PC and use that for work. The world is a PC world and not a Mac one. Tons of Compatibility issues with work. I have had issues and know several others that have had connectivity issues with the computer connecting to the internet. Super frustrating!

If you have money to blow, buy one.

7. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    DOS rocked!

I see an animated video of mac vs. pc guy in our future. Ed, be sure to make fun of mac users for being vegan, wearing "skinny" jeans, and liking "indie" music. Make fun of pc users for being hard headed idiots.

In matters like these, where actual performance differences are fairly negligible, I like to make my decisions based on something very trivial. In this case, it's advertising. I will never own an Apple product just because of their advertising. It gets worse the bigger they get. Right now they're acting like they fuckin discovered The Beatles. Piss off Apple.

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

A salesman who calls on me every week finally got fed up with a new laptop every couple years and got a Mac Book. He runs Parallels for Mac since his inventory control software is Windows based. He thinks it is the best thing he has ever done. Rick

9. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I switched to Macs 4 years ago and am thrilled I did so.

10. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Then you might find this amusing: A U.C.-Berkeley undergrad named Kyle Conroy has compiled a fun table looking at how much money you would have made if on the day of any given Apple (AAPL) product launch since 1997, you had chosen to buy Apple shares instead. Example: if on November 10, 1997, you spent $3000 on Apple shares, rather than a G3 266 Minitower, your stock would now be worth $173,981, which in turn would have allowed you to buy all the iPads and iPhones you could ever want.

http://www.kyleconroy.com/apple-stock.php

FWIW, AAPL closed today at $320.15 a share and a market capitalization of $294B. MSFT shares closed at $26.84 with a market cap of $231B. I'm sure there's some reason Apple stock has outperformed Microsoft's by 10:1 the last few years. Probably has something to do with advertising forcing people to buy expensive products they don't need and can't afford!

K

11. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow that is extremely depressing.

12. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    That was my first reaction too! But instead of buying stock, I've got all these flyrods as a sort of consolation prize.

K

13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Beer as an Investment

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

•But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank it all, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refunds, you will have received $214.00.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.:beathead::beathead::beathead:bawling:

14. BFK

BFK Member

Here's another thought-- your girls will be using your computer (assuming they don't have their own), and a Mac is pretty intuitive for doing things like slides shows, videos, and so on. My son surprised me at how quickly he picked up using a Mac, and how much it would do. Now, he prefers a PC for gaming ...sigh. But if he wants to do something like a video or a presentation for school, he ends up on my Mac. Besides, Mac often is the platform of preference for schools. And it certainly is for publishing because of its ease of dealing with graphics. I know the art department of one of the magazines I work for was thrilled when they were able to switch to Macs.

I don't know enough about PCs to draw any comparisons, but my low-end iMac comes with iPhoto, which is kinda like Photoshop, and things like GarageBand and so on.

15. Caveman

Caveman Member

Went to a mac a year ago, computer doesn't crash and runs way better than any Microsoft BS.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try Windows 7.

17. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

You would have no problems with WFF with a mac.
    I would suggest using either Chrome or Firefox.

Very rarely, you may find a site that requires IE, and then you'd be out of luck, but usually said sites are either deeply buried behind corporate firewalls, and only intended to inflict pain on the corporations employees (not the general public) or a very small number of governments sites... I ran into one when I was opening my business last year. (I can't remember if it was a city, county, or state site, but I couldn't fill out the form using firefox or Safari on the mac. I was shocked.)

In general if browsing and personal email are what you want, you'll not notice much difference between Windows and Mac for those tasks. That's just my opinion, of course.

Paul

18. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

My experience has been the opposite. Publishers I've dealt with have been PC based.

Designers, Ad Agencies, etc, sure, they're usually Mac based, but publishers (book, newspaper and magazine at least) are usually on Windows machines.

Not that this has anything to do with Ed's surfing habits.

19. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    If you'd purchased a share of Microsoft a year ago for $29.79, you'd have lost $2.95 as of today's close, a 10% loss. If you'd bought a share of Apple a year ago for $180.95, at it's close today of $320.05 (a 52 week high) you'd be up $131 or 72%. A designer friend bought a hundred shares of Apple years ago at $13 a share. His $1,300 investment topped $32,000 today.

K

20. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, I remember 3.1 fixed by 95, 95 fixed by 98, 98 fixed by ME, oops scratch that, 98SE fixed by 2000, 2000 fixed by XP, XP actually worked so MS fixed it by VISTA, oops scratch that, VISTA fixed by Windows 7.

Not a fan of either system, but if you have kids get a Mac.

Hell, you should get a Mac for surfing the net and keep your MS machine in a very safe place.

IF your not into computing as a hobby get a Mac.

However, my ex-employer was a MS environment and I still find it easier for some stuff.