NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Those older Windows OS are why I went Mac and stayed Mac for a decade. It wasn't until Win 7 that I was back on PC full time (had both until a year ago). They FINALLY got it right. And they did a damn good job of it.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    My girls already can run my wife's Win7 system. There has to be a compelling reason that someone can offer to spend twice the cash...anyone? This POS Dell running WinXP has seen me all the way through the past 5 years, has crashed maybe a couple of times, both recently, and saw some pretty heavy use as I finished my active duty career and degree program. I'm thinking of change just for change because sometimes we tend to overlook the other options sticking with that which we know. I know my $$ though and unless there is something that can really blow my doors off I can get myself a new laptop that is a PC and each girl can have a netbook...for less than a Mac.

What am I missing?

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    If you already have a significant investment in PC software and would have to purchase new software for your Mac, your effective costs will increase even more than you first calculated (computer = hardware + software). Ed, do you like to buy a new car every two or three years or do you prefer to run your vehicle into the ground? If you are in the first category, buy a PC, a cheap PC, and be prepared to replace it in two or three years. If you are in the second category, buy a Mac (or a better quality PC) and it will serve you for 6 - 8 years. In the second case, your initial investment will be the cheaper option in the long run.

Steve

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Look at an 6-8 year old mac. They age like hookers.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Steve, good point. There are other factors that I've not yet revealed in totality. My work uses an all MS enterprise. In order for them to allow me to access this entire enerprises system I have to use a PC platform from afar. This can save gas sometimes as I might be "confined" at work at home vice the cubicle with a commute both ways. I don't want to run my rig into the ground, but I do demand that it be quality such that I can enjoy it for a longer time. I'm not a lease guy with regard to vehicles, never have been and try to take care of my vehicles (and in this case my laptop) for the longer haul. This POS laptop also served as my only computer for two full years of 60+ hours a week consuting services that put pretty high demands on what I use it for.

I think that for the $$ in question, as I think Steve is indicating, that I can get a lot more PC bang for the buck. Since my whole computing world revolves around PC based software currently, I'm invested. Not so much that I'm blind to the obvious, but so far the obvious reason to change is merely my willingness to try something new.

My girls can learn anything, including astrophysics, so any computer will soon be a tool in their toolbox that they can use masterfully.

6. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    WTF!???

You mean nobody else does this but me??

7. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you have kids Mac's are much cheaper. I bought my daughter a Mac in her freshman year in HIGH SCHOOL. I did not want to be her tech support. I bought her second Mac in her third year of college. The only software I bought for her was Excel and Word in all that time.

Get a used Mac for your kids if price is an issue. I am still using my daughters Mac from 2003.

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Yeah, but a 6 - 8 year old PC ages like a meth head -> dead!! And Jesse, perhaps you can fill us in on your experience with older hookers??

9. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

My .02 cents. I bought a MacBook Pro in early 2009. I've never touched the supposed "Holy Grail" of Windows 7, but I can say that the Mac OS beats the socks off anything I've used from Windows for the past 20 years. Took me about three months to decide that I'd never use Windows again if I didn't have to. I'm sure that Windows 7 is a fine OS (I don't have an axe to grind with MS), but it's still Windows. The way that Apple implement their OS is, far and away, so much better than MS products that you wonder exactly what those MS people are up to. Again, after about three months I was saying things like "why don't they all work this way? This is really how it should be done". No kidding. I said this a lot my first six months with a Mac. Now I just take it for granted.

What I'm saying explains all the posts from Mac users that simply say something like "Get a Mac, you'll like it more". Once you play with one for awhile you realize where some of the extra money's going, and if you don't realize it then that's okay. Get a PC. Me? I like using the computer that is setting the standard in performance and, more importantly, human interface. Is Windows 7 (or anything else for that matter) as good? Really, I don't care anymore. Honestly I can't see a Windows OS that even remotely resembles past versions that could come close to Mac OS. More importantly to me, I know that I'm using something that I'll always enjoy using. Put some emphasis on "enjoy" when you read that sentence.
    Here's a few other things you buy when you pay a premium for a Mac:
    -Customer Service. In the USA. You always talk to a highly trained person whose job is to make you happy. Period. I broke an IPhone; IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS after my call to customer service I have a new phone. I didn't pay any shipping. A buddy at work had a six year old MacBook die on him. He sent it in and had it back it two days. Again, no shipping paid. They told him to please quit using it with the fan intake covered up and it'll last a good long time......
    -Quality. It's been mentioned that Apples can be considered a good deal when you figure in the machine's quality and software. I'm not so sure. You could buy a damn fine PC for a couple grand or more. Still, Apple don't make "low end" machines and obviously don't care to play in that market. When you buy one, you get great everything, and that's nice to know. Like the best screens, best construction, best software (highly subjective though), etc.
    - If you need Windows, use it. A Mac will run Windows like no tomorrow, and I've seen computer mag tests that say Macs post faster numbers running Windows than comparable PC's.
    I'm very aware that I sound like some kind of evangelist. Whatever; I'm totally sold and I admit it. My experience with Macs and Apple has been so positive that I feel I owe it to people to say how much I like them. I feel strongly that they're making a very superior product, especially on the software and OS end of things. If you spend enough money the high end hardware is there in whatever you buy, but the OS only comes with a Mac.

If you value quality and how it gets from point A to point B instead of just getting there, then you'll like a Mac. A lot.

10. joellirot

joellirot Member

ok. after going back to mac for a week. it's sweet. i got the macbook air. NICE. and it's no more expensive than a decent pc. sure you can get a $500 dell but it will last a year and you'll be buying another one. if you need to run MS programs - get parallels and you can run windows simultaneously. after having the mac for a week i can't believe i really resisted getting one so long.

and by the way....screw MS. i haven't 'upgraded' to 7 but every other version has SUCKED so why bother now? i've gone a full week without a computer crash or freeze up...:)

11. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

At least in my case I have had poor luck with the longevity of Apple hardware, beginning with a Mac Classic that had a short life to more recently, an iMac G5 that conked out after only 5 years. The latter was a machine that I had invested around $1500 in but had serious overheating issues on the motherboard. With it being out of warranty, I had to throw it out as the fix required getting a new motherboard at a prohibitive cost.

In replacing my iMac, I looked at another iMac but found that I could get a comparable Lenovo all-in-one for half the price. With there not being much of a difference between Mac OS and Windows 7 now, I found it hard to go back to getting another iMac.

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Does anyone know of any place that runs demos, sort of like Mr. Scoones' gear program. Maybe to try one would be a convincing factor over the sticker shock comparison that seems to be pretty tough to swallow right now. I'm no super user, so pretty much any machine will work. My current machine is old and worn, but has been very reliable, probably my most reliable computer thus far. Getting a newer version of itself would be grand, and would be cheaper than any of the Macs but of course I'm intrigued. Heck I'm a gear whore, probably in all things that I do. Thanks for the input to all. I don't know if I'm more convinced or less convinced, but it has been great information to read and add to my online research.

13. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just to show the other side of the coin: I have a Powerbook 160C (~1993 vintage) still operating perfectly. I have a G3 Ti-Book (Titanium Powerbook --2001) that runs perfectly, though there are about 6 dead pixels in the screen. I have a 13" MacBook (2005), and 17" MacBook Pro (2007) that are in use daily -- the MacBook runs a webcam so I can keep an eye on my yellow lab in the backyard during the day, and my MB Pro is used for everything from photo processing (currently managing more than 17,000 images) video production, writing and editing, web design, etc. Because it is literally run 12-18 hours per day (I run a lot of scripts at night so it can keep working even when I'm asleep), it did suffer from a burned-out mother board. But a year past the end of the warranty, Apple replaced that for free -- took 48 hours.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    I guess Dan could loan me one for a while, how many macs does one fellow need?

15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    This is like asking "Hey guys, should I marry a brunette or a blonde"?

People are going to have all sorts of prejudices and opinions. "Ahhhhhh, man, this blonde totally screwed me over like 5 years ago, they are not quality or reliable, get a brunette!" or, "ohhhhh those brunettes are great work horses, if you want something that will last a long time and always work, get one of those, I have 8 brunettes and have never had a problem"!

At the end of the day, go take a look at both and just make up your mind. People will still talk shit about whatever you choose, but just ignore them for arguing over such a trivial issue.

Or, you could aspire to be like me and have both at the same time. Uhhh, I'm talking about a mac & a PC of course!

16. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Dude, you've had this experience too!?

oh wait, I think I missed the point.

17. Ed Call

Media:
    True, people will have preferences. It is the root of those preferences that some have shared that will weigh in to my thoughts. Like seemingly equal rods between Sage, Winston and Loomis. I will alway opt for Sage for my own reasons, one of which is my ability to walk into their factory and speak face to face with customer service, sales or repair staff. I can touch pc laptops just about anywhere, macs remain an enigma to me, a leap of faith if you will, because there is not a nearby source to check one out myself. For my needs any modern laptop will do the job and do it better than my old one. For now I will be less daring for that which I've not used and more frugal for that which will cost me less today. If that becomes a bad choice, hopefully I will learn my lesson.

Jesse, you have both...but you said that Macs were....nevermind. You know what you said.

18. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Mumbles,
    Quit dithering .... go buy the Mac. It is like a hammer. Do you ever have to take your hammer in for IT?

Next you'll buy an iPhone or iPad and you will be truly hooked and on the bandwagon.

Chad Lewis is right on all accounts.

Life is too short to screw around with a computer ..... sort of like crappy rods n reels.
    Mike Mc

19. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    I have a pair of MacBooks, a Mini, and a PC laptop. I'll say the PC laptop is the least used in my house, and is mostly used for shop programs. I've owned Mac's since the Classic II.

20. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I do not agree with this, as an IT professional and an iPhone user. But like has been said, it's all personal opinion. I personally can't justify the cost of a Mac with knowing so little about them. I'm truly ignorant when it comes to Mac systems and am willing to admit it. Good thing I only support PC's. lol