NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Ed, I'm confused and it sounds like you are too.

You can indeed buy a new Win7 PC for about half the price of an entry-level Mac. But you can also get a new TFO rod for about $150 vs. about $750 for an entry-level bamboo rod. Yes, they'll both catch fish. But beyond that there's a lot of other subtle differences that you won't begin to appreciate until and unless you've used them both. And like those who have never fished bamboo (or used a Mac), those differences are irrelevant if all you're concerned about is money.

From a cash flow perspective I can understand your reluctance to pull the trigger on a new Mac. But comparing one with a cheap new PC is like comparing, well, a new TFO and a bamboo rod.

K
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Not all PC computers are cheap. In fact, most of the cheap ones are what people buy, then have problems with and say that all PCs are junk. Spend a bit more money on the PC and you'll notice quite a huge difference in reliability and longevity.
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    And which, for the same money, you'll also get from any Mac :-0>

K
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Right. But if Windows is preferred (I prefer Windows to Mac OS), then why get the Mac? At that point, one isn't better than the other, they're just slightly different in how they get the same result.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Kent,

Interesting perspective and you know I'm a fan of graphite, glass and grass rods. For my computing uses I'm not sure that I've ever had a really good one, or that I've ever had one that was lacking in its abilty to get done what I needed to get done. Confused, of course, I'm always confused. Money is not all that concerns me, but to say it is not a factor would be a lie. I have bamboo. I have glass. I ahve graphite, from TFO entry level to Sage upper level. Some would say it is just a fly rod and they will all catch fish. True, but I know some are more pleasing to cast and land fish with now that I've experienced more with a range of these tools. Not sure that I have or need to have that same level of computer use. Will it help me type faster? Read better? Make cartoons? Make videos of my daughters in theater performances? Besides, if it is the misses and the girls that are going to buy what I want, maybe price is going to be more critical. Ed
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Because this thread has nothing to do with YOU buying a computer. Ed originally asked about how the site looks on a Mac and you seem to have twisted it into evangelizing for Windows. He already knows how it looks and operates on a PC. If you can't help him with firsthand experience on a Mac then it seems to me you aren't adding any value to the thread beyond repeatedly insisting how good Windows is.

K
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Right, sorry. It's only okay to evangelize Macs. My bad. Though I did state that I used Macs for over a decade in addition to PCs. I feel my input is valid.
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    In order: no, no, maybe and yes!

Others here have stated eloquently how easy the Mac is to use, especially for youngsters. Apple is famous for products that don't need long-winded manuals or arcane tech skills to get the most from them. To me a computer is simply a tool that should help me get a job done with a minimum of distraction spent on tasks not directly associated with completing the job. It's kinda like asking 'What time is it?' and then being told you need to know how a clock works before you can find out.

In my experience, using a Mac is MUCH more intuitive than a PC (yes, even a Win 7 PC, and I have and use both). My college daughter was able to use her Mac Book and iMovie to edit and produce a 5 minute video for one of her classes in less than two hours and she'd never opened iMovie before starting the project. That's how easy the Mac and Apple software are to use. (And BTW, she got 98% on the project and the only A in her class!) The same held true when she was using her mom's Mac all through grammar school, junior high and high school.

To me that almost intuitive ease of use, especially for young users, is well worth a premium price and makes the decision about whether or not to get one a no-brainer.

K
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Really, no need for this to get anyone's knickers in a twist. I would have rather just had you all tell me to F-off or something. Not get into the back and forth of who's whozit is faster or which whamadyne whammer is cooler. I just see a huge price difference, know a few of you are devoted Mac users and of course have never ending questions. For the record, I have been using everything from MS up to XP (except Vista) until yesterday when a conversion to Windows 7 hit the streets in my neighborhood.

It is tough for me to make the leap of faith. Chad presented it well, tough to explain but you'll know it once you make the plunge. That resonates with me. Dropping the extra cash for something I'm not taking fishing is a stretch though.

Confused, still and likely always. I'm not looking to be converted. Just wondering what each person's perspective is. As always, there are as many perspectives as there are people with them.
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Now don't get your boxers in a bunch. I was only pointing out that it'd be helpful to focus on the original question.

K
  11. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    I don't even have a whamadyne whammer. Never even heard of one. Where does that leave me in all this? And there I was all confident in my decisions, not saying a word in this great debate and now this comes along.

My perspective is seriously shaken. Whats a guy supposed to do with this?

TC
  12. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    I just reread my post and apologize for coming across harsher than I intended or was appropriate. Your input is indeed valid.

K
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Maybe I should have asked:

What laptop do you use to browse your way to WFF.com?
    Forget about what I might intend to do with that information, just tell me what you use. Would that work?
    I'll start. I use a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I got in 2005, maybe late 2004. It has been my best laptop to date lasting all that time with little grief or maintenance needs. I've also used a Compaq 6320 and related series laptops, not nearly as satisified with those. Thank you for your input.
  14. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    This thread has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Ed, considering 90% of your computing time will be spent on WFF.com just get anything that runs the mozilla browser. In fact, I think this is your best option.

[IMG]

;)
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Jesse, cute pic of your computer. Which of your threads have accomplished anything? This one, strangely enough, has given me some interesting input and perspective.
  16. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +728 / 0
    I like input. ;) Can compute!
    [IMG]

All of my threads are 100% fishing related. Unfortunately, my posts are mostly bull shit.

Ed, would you kindly summarize (for the collective edification) the learnings you've gleaned from this absolutely worthwhile discourse?
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Macs are for ______ (I'm not filling in the blank)
    Any modern computing device will meet my needs for my favorite web site browsing.
    Macs and PCs can do the same things and the differences are less evident.
    Money is no object. Style points count. Some of you guys just won't ever see eye to eye.
    Different is not better, or worse. Everyone likes what they like and hates what they hate.
    Life expectancy of most modern laptops should be 3-5 years even though most have only 1 year warranties.
    PM's on this subject are as entertaing as posts in this thread.

Summary: NOTAGODDAMNEDTHING

OMJ asked for computer input and got NO responses. Well I got some responses but not from OMJ. Guess what he did? He bought a new Toshiba right off the shelf. Hasn't slowed his roll one bit. Maybe he's got the right idea!
  18. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 0
    You know what MACS are spelled backwards....

SCAM!!

Yea, just adding a little fuel. :D
  19. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Schooled on my foolishness by OrangeRadish

So I should have never asked...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/jwplayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars"value="height=390&width=480&file=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/web_final_lo/ac3c270e-0249-11e0-ba11-003048d69c21_3.mp4&image=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/web_final_lo/ac3c270e-0249-11e0-ba11-003048d69c21_3.jpg&link=http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7977063&searchbar=false&autostart=false"/><embed src="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/jwplayer.swf" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="height=390&width=480&file=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/web_final_lo/ac3c270e-0249-11e0-ba11-003048d69c21_3.mp4&image=http://newvideos.xtranormal.com/web_final_lo/ac3c270e-0249-11e0-ba11-003048d69c21_3.jpg&link=http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7977063&searchbar=false&autostart=false"></embed></object><object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/embedded-xnl-stats.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.xtranormal.com/site_media/players/embedded-xnl-stats.swf" width="1" height="1" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>
  20. smc Active Member

Up River
    Ratings: +25 / 0