NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Right now I'm typing on a Sony Vaio PCG-K33 that's somewhere around 7-8 years old. It was given to me by someone who thought it was done because it was so slow and junked up. For starters, I have been in the trades and construction for the past ten years. The extent of my computer schooling and training is a DOS programming class back in high school. My point is you don't have to be a technical genius to figure out how to cleanup and maintain a pc. I downloaded some registry cleanups, disk defrags, and maintenance programs from cnet.com for free. I wiped the hard drive clean and then installed the max ram for this machine (1 gig). Then installed free spyware and anti-virus. My only cost was $50 for the ram and about 2-3 hours of work. From the time I push the on button to the time the wireless networks connects and the internet is at my fingertips is about 90 seconds, and that's just fine with me. Programs boot quickly and I've never had a crash, going on 5 months now. I'm glad I gave this old thing new life. My previous compter was a Sony Vaio FZ-140 that I bought brand new in 2007 and it ran flawlessy (with vista I might add) and with lightening speed for 3 years right up until somebody lifted it over their head and smashed it into the ground. We don't need to get into why that happened, but the hard drive survived the smash.
    I do understand why people like Macs. You don't need to put any thought into purchasing or maintenance. It is possible to get taken when buying a PC if you don't know what hardware specs to look for. But spend a little time getting to know what's under the hood and I think you can get a honey of a deal on a pc.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    +1 I'm a big fan of the Sony Vaios

3. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    A little off topic but I just bought my wife an iPad. That thing kicks ass for media consumption. Not the right tool for serious productivity though and definitely not inexpensive.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Only bummer with the vaios (and I'm not even sure they still do this) is that they usually have a custom OEM version of windows to work with all of their proprietary device drivers. This means it can be a serious pain to do a clean install of the OS at a later time.

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    How did this thread amass 6 pages? I refuse to read every post- probably Mumbles is responsible for half the thread anyway. I'm a Mac guy. Always have been, even before Al Gore's invention. I have an iMac, my wife has a Macbook Pro and so does my daughter. I'm sure Windows 7 is a big improvement over previous versions, but the world of hackers is overwhelmingly geared towards Microsoft, so there's a certain peace of mind that comes with owning Apples.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Amen. Macs are expensive for a reason. Mine works trouble free. Did I say TROUBLE FREE?

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    So does my Win 7 machine. As far as the hackers thing: You have a false sense of security if you think hackers are "geared toward windows."

I just keep having to chime in because the whole Mac vs PC debate to me always gets overrun with Mac zealots claiming flawlessness (I used to be one of those people). Only difference is, that Mac people are MUCH louder about their satisfaction with their computers, while satisfied Windows users are usually much quieter about it. I had LOTS of problems with the 8 Macs that I owned. I've also had problems with previous Windows versions. It's like anything, some will have problem, some won't.

8. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Holy Shit! Mumbles, you started this! Please put a stop to it!

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles - change your avatar to this and end it.

[​IMG]

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Steve, I wish I could take it all back. Unfortunately the thread lives on. I think it has helped me to decide I'm not rushing out to spend any of my dollars on any new stinking computers.

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

No shit! You can buy a couple of nice rods for the price of a computer.

12. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    Well, a couple of nice Mac rods, or 10 Microsoft rods! just kidding :rofl:

13. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Ed,

I am on a computer all day and for years I thought of going Mac but held out thinking sooner or later, Microsoft would get it right. I bought a top of the line Dell laptop. I'm the wiseass who asked someone at Dell, when I finally someone who I could understand, when they changed their slogan from "Dude, you're getting a Dell" to "Dude, you've entered Hell". No response, by the way. About 2 years ago, I bought the Mac Pro notebook. NO issues whatsoever, and it comes loaded with great software that you pay extra for elsewhere. I also run Windows on it and it is faster than a new Toshiba I have for work. Yesterday, I lost a while waiting for Norton to do an update scan. Don't do those with Macs. And, I don't miss them. To me, it's a no brainer.

14. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Norton blows. Always has...

15. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    We are still talking about this?

Apparently no one is fishing enough right now...I know I'm not...

16. Ed Call

Media:
    Rivers blow, always have. As a matter of fact the National Weather Service just concluded a weather webinar for this upcoming weekend's arrival of "the wettest storm of the year so far" that will impact many of the coastal, hood canal and cascade rivers. Seems like a lot less fishing is going to be happening.

Did I just hijack my own thread to talk about the weather? I'm turning into Old Man.

17. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    If it's any consolation...I set you up. :p

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, on the upside... Maybe I'll be more productive in my programming / website building projects than I had anticipated on my weeks off here. Blah

19. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

we don't need no stinking computers, we just need a river to drop in shape for da weekend!!

20. Ed Call

Media:
    For this weekend? Good luck with that. I'm actually glad that I'm going to be too busy to fish this weekend...but I'm hoping the next weekend there is somewhere, anywhere reachable for a two day outing, to fish.