NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

At least you guys have it in rain format. We're getting 6" of snow tonight and 4" more tomorrow. My fresh stock of fly tying supplies are somewhere between here and Oregon.

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Get a PC, install ubuntu on it and run a windows and/or Mac VMs on it. Tying yourself to a hardware manufacturer just because you like the OS is silly.

3. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    All I have to say is that my new macbook pro 15" ROCKS!!!!!!

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Rivers are gone, and here I sit on my macbook pro, which I have had no issues with in the last two years. Can't say the same about the other work computers in my life.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    A client whose entire business runs ubuntu and open office tells me there aren't any commercially-available (ie. legal) Mac VMs that allow the Mac OS to be run under a Linux-based OS. He says that to install the Mac OS on such a VM would be a violation of the Mac license agreement and that Apple has successfully blocked the very few companies who have tried to do so. Apparently there ARE hacks, but they are famously unstable (and illegal!)

K

6. JackJester

JackJester Member

I just made the switch to Mac last week. My wife and I had 2 yr old Dell laptops and I just got sick of how long they took to boot up and the damn virus scanner scoping out every file. *So far I am very happy with our 15" MacBook Pro. Super easy getting Internet and email setup. *I think I still need MS Office for Mac since I am Power Point ranger. *I also use Firefox since I like tabs and I don't think Safari has tabs; at least it doesn't appear so.

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Safari does indeed offer tabbed browsing. Click on the Safari menu button in the upper left and pull down to Preferences. When the pane opens, click on the Tabs tab and adjust the settings to your liking.

K

8. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    FWIW, I was all set on an iMac but just ordered a Dell desktop. Got a special offer from Dell and couldn't resist the deal. At half the price of the iMac I'm a happy camper.

9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yes, Safari has tabs. But it doesn't have the add-on potential of FireFox -- I use both for different things. I am also like the new RockMelt browser (currently in Beta only). Keeps all your Social Media and RSS feeds right at your finger tips in pull-out panes. Pretty slick.

And if you like PowerPoint, you really need to try Apple's KeyNote (part of iWork app package) -- it's a much cleaner presentation package with smoother user interface. Great integration with iTunes, iPhone, Aperture (if you have it -- and I recommend it if you much photo work) and iMovie. You'll also find much cooler themes especially if you do any photo-heavy slide shows.

10. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like you got a helluva lot more than that! The HomerDome is the Holed-Dome now.....