(NFR) What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian James, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Brian James

Brian James New Member

I was walking home from work today thinking about this weekend and my upcoming fishing trip. It occured to me (not the first time) that I'd MUCH rather be retired already (I'm 23) and just fish. Then I thought there had to be other people like me that just put up with the week to get to the weekend, no matter what you like to do. At this point, it made me wonder what everyone else does and how they cope.

I'm in the Navy and work/live on the USS Pennsylvania (SSBN 735), a nuclear ballistic missile submarine homeported in Bangor, WA. This leaves me with only a few months a year to do what I really enjoy.

It makes it hard to sit through work doing the same thing I do at sea wishing I could be outside casting to rising cuttthroat on a river in the mountains.

So, what do you do and how do you cope with the week?

2. lx-88

lx-88 Member

What do you do for a living?

I'm a student and work in a live stage theatre running lights and sound for events. I love it, but it is stressful, and to help with that I go fishing. Have you considered taking a fly-rod with you and casting on some beaches or something while in port? Might provide some very unique fishing opportunities.

How long are you at sea?

3. Brian James

Brian James New Member

That's totally a possibilty, I could do that. I'm not sure if the type of opportunities would warrent me even bringing a rod. We don't really port in a lot of different places, but - we do go to Alaska sometimes. So, that'd be pretty sweet.

Only about 3 months at a time - but you see the sun once or twice if you're lucky, unless we pull in somewhere.

4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

I'm a retired guy! 23 plus years in the Army, jumping out of airplanes and all that. Now that I'm retired, I'm busier than when I was in the service. Seems as I have less time to fish now than ever before.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

REE

5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Man that sub duty sounds brutal!, but I'm sure thankful we have men who are willing to serve. My youngest son was in the Navy for a full 4 year hitch, last ship was the Abraham Lincoln. He's now in the Air Force, for the past 4 years, and will be returning from a year's deployment in Korea, this next month.

Me, I'm in the Mortgage business,I consider myself a "Mortgage Investment Counselor" big title but really I just help people buy or refinance their homes. My over-riding belief is that your mortgage should be based on your goals, because it's about your life "in" the house.

That gives me the time, and freedom, to get in the fishing I want to do. I'm lucky to have found this profession.

I think this subject has come up before, a search of the archives might yeld a lot of info.

LB

6. hedburner

hedburner Member

I'm an active duty member of the frozen food manufacturing industry. Polybag operator, repack line supervisor, forklift operator, and all around misc. flunky. Been with the COMPANY for 31 years now. And the highpoint of my career there? I got assigned to go out to the truck loading dock and pick up dog poop by the railroad tracks. I love this company! My motto at work; "Always try to do less today than what you did yesterday". Eleven more years and I'll be outta there with a pension and hopefully a one way ticket to Argentina! Hmmm, good fishing, cheap living, and hot looking chica's.

:beer1: :p :cool: :thumb:

7. bwtucker83

bwtucker83 Member

I just graduated with a BA in Economics. I"m heading out to Detroit ( in my opinoin the armpit of America) to do some real estate investing with my older brother. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be back to the northwest within 10 years to fish the rest of my life away. Fingers Crossed.

Brad

8. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

I own a small computershop here in longbeach wa. I provide repair's, dialup, sales.etc.
    I absalutly love my job. I leave and go fishing at every whim I get. I wouldent have it any other way. Life is good.

9. Rapid40cal

Rapid40cal New Member

I'm a 20 plus years active duty Air Force. I find ways to take off during the week. But I also pull weekends and shift work duty for my guys if they need the time off. I do manage to get away here and there.

10. klintd

klintd Member

I have a friend that is a merchant marine. He is on a ship 6 months out of the year, the other 6 he lives on some waterfront property on the sound. He likes to fish as much as he can but doesnt get to when away from home. He decided to take up rod building so he can stay connected with fishing even when he cant fish.

11. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Im a sophmore in high shool with no car and no way to go fishing besides begging my parents to take me. And with them both working i rarelty get to go. IT SUX!!!

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

fish after work so I can tolerate the next day.

13. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

You sound like a union recruiting poster boy and testimonial.
    :p

14. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

I work remodel construction as of now, a recent college grad with a BA in government, don't ask what i'm going to do with it; i'll figure something out. For now i'm constructing and fish chasing and hopefully getting married to a wealthy lady. ;)

15. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Rod builder for a local Custom shop here in Lake Stevens, and also go to school in Everett working towards my wildlife biology degree.

:cool:

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Retired. Don't do anything hard. But wishing I was rich(gas) so's I could afford to go fishing every day. As it is I stay close to home and fish when ever the mood suits me.

Jim

17. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

I really just fish, and could never see it any other way. I have no intrest in entering the corporate world when i get out of college. I will probably end up as a subsistence farmer in outter mongolia or argentina, whatever keeps its fishery good until i get out of college. Living on a boat sailing the world following the migrations of gaint bluefin tuna with a 20wt is also a possiblity. Surely one of the three. Right now i sell flies and do construction as little as I can manage and still have barley enough buck to make it to and from fishing places. Food is good too. I can tell I'm going to be really really poor when i grow up. The rest of my family is composed of doctors, lawyers, and a software developed. My father is a jazz musician.

Peace,
    Andy

18. WT

WT Member

Philosopher.

19. Michigan Guy

Michigan Guy Formerly Sag24

I run an all male dance club with Mike Doughty called the "Mandingo" :eek:

20. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

I'm the bouncer at Michigan Guy's dance club