(NFR) What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian James, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    :eek: :eek: Matt, I think I'm scarred for life after reading that..............quick, I need something about 180 proof to get that visual out of my head.....

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, as most know, I'm a UPS driver. Had a great run for the first 15 or so years. Delivered where I had prime saltwater fishing for salmon and SRC's. Also a few creeks that had some awesome salmon fishing. Now, have a permanent route, and stuck inland in Gig Harbor. So fishing is kept for the weekends only.

I attached a picture of my truck/trailer. This is my baby. LOL.
    [​IMG]

3. Kim Ferris

Kim Ferris left-handed sort of way

really, a rocketscientist. a chief scientist at battelle (hanford site) specializing in information theory for the development of new materials.

how do i cope - well, there's never enough fishing time - so i lie to myself a lot; read and prepare for those few times i do get out.

k

4. Eric Blankenship

Eric Blankenship New Member

GPS Tech for Sno. County Surface Water Management. I survey and map surface water drainage systems with high-accuracy GPS equipment. Everything from new-construction catch basin systems to ditches, streams, and rivers. The information is used for computer modeling for flooding and for fish habitat (culvert replacements, etc.).

The upside is that I get to be outside all day every day. In the winter, the cube dwellers just don't get that I'd still rather be outside than in - even if I can't be fishing at the time. Another plus is that I work 4 10s and get a lot of time off so I get a lot of long weekends to make road trips. Normally the summers are full of float trips on the Sky and Stilly doing habitat and channel migration surveys, but this summer has been too busy with other stuff...

5. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    I am an AutoCAD Technician (drafter) for a consulting engineering firm. But really want to get back to doing civil engineering. So much more fun doing things like storm water design and road development design.

6. Keith Hunter

Keith Hunter New Member

I am an elementary school teacher, 4th grade. I also facilitate the fly fishing club and fly fishing experiential education course for our high school. Eventually, I'd like to teach high school social studies.

In general, I love my job, but often wonder what it would be like to be a trout bum, like Mr. Triggs.

Keith

7. dsteding

dsteding Member

Attorney. Just took the bar, have four more weeks before I start work (which I will do until I die).

I'm heading over to Montana, gas prices be damned, gonna spend a couple weeks at the minimum fishing all my favorite rivers.

8. brach_rick

brach_rick Member

Media:
    It's amazing when you stop and think about all the different walks of life that come together to share fishing stories. Or lack of ;-0

I work for a large security company selling enterprise network security products. All that anti-hacker stuff

9. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Credit Analyst for a large software company

10. firedog

firedog Member

Media:
    Firefighter for the City of Portland. Great job for the outdoors person. Work 24 hrs on 48 off. Now just need my Kids to get older so I have time to fish :) I still get to spend plenty of time on the Kalama even if it is working on my property.

11. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

What's keeping you from moving back? My wife (also an x-ray tech.) says job opportunities abound locally in that field and the pay rates just keep going up to reflect more demand than supply.

12. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

I'm a freelance writer working mostly for ESPN magazines.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    O.K, I'm an adolescent therapist and I do some adult counseling too for a Private corporation. My speciality is in wilderness therapy, and I hope to start my own school here in the future. At the time being, I manage my own hours for the most part which means...... I fish alot- awesome wife! who fly fishers herself, so she is compassionate, although she is at her wicks end with my steelhead affliction. I know live 2hrs from the darkside instead of on the river- this has saved our marriage-LOL

14. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
  15. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    Haha... dude, Credit analyst.. thats just fancy talk for "The Muscle"

Me. Account Executive for Q13 FOX and Seattle's WB. I sell air.... I love my career.

~B
    :thumb:

16. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Let's see, former Oly Nat Park employee (Summer), seven Years as a Field Artilleryman in the Army(76-81), next 22 years at PSNS as a weldor and QA inspector. On the job back injury led to disability retirement a year ago. Now I have the time but a fixed income and limited mobility have severely cut down on fishing opprtunities. Brush busting hiking trips to find that out of the way "unknown" spot don't happen any more. bawling: It's more of a "drive by FFing" trip when I get out now. :thumb: But it's still fun to get out.

17. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I work at a company that does money laundering detection. I'm a Software/Hardware engineer that wishes I could get out more!

18. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Don't let John fool you. He's my long distance b**ch. I go to Boston for the occasional booty call and to have him take me to nice resturants. :rofl:

19. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Media:
    project manager in the construction industry. . . . :beer2:

20. Gabriel Burgi

Gabriel Burgi doesn't live in WA anymore :(

Media:
    Former Toroedoman's Mate on the USS Georgia ('99-2001) also at Bangor.
    No, you won't really get to fish on the boat unless it's on a weekend duty day at marginal peir or on port call in Hawaii. Now I'm a mere Ensign, waiting to go to flight school in Pensacola, Florida....warm saltwater..... :thumb:

In fact, I leave in 10 days. Without ever having caught a steelhead on the fly in WA.... bawling: