(NFR) Who's working?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Miller, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That is what I do. :) Where in AK are you located? POW here.
  2. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Monk, I'm in the middle east currently -

I'll be up by Nome this summer.
  3. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    i am a retired high school science and math teacher. the last 9 years were occupied with fishing ,hunting, selling firewood, sub janitor, and attending grandkids activities. mike w
  4. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I'm a UPS driver late in my career. I'm online in the early a.m. and after the day is done. I'm on the edge of pulling the retirement card :thumb: so I'll be able to fish and lurk full time LOL.
    Mike
  5. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    How come I am not surprised all you jokers think the same thing I do ! :clown: My dream is to own a fish lodge on some remote lake and just have people come up and stay and fish all day. I won't get rich but who the heck wants to do that, If I can fish everday I would consider myself to be rich! :cool:
  6. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    I am park caretaker, webdesigner, graphic artist & photographer, with a PhD in unemployment . . . . .
  7. tailfeather New Member

I have one random week day off each week, and today I get the glorious evening shift. I work 4-10's for my regular job, then I have two part-time jobs on weekends to make the ends meet. Somehow I still find time to fish 1-2x/week. I could retire today and live a life of hedonistic pleasure it it weren't for the bills and such. I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems I work my tail off to provide for my kids, then I never get to see them. There is something wrong with this equation. Rob.
  8. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Yes there is somthing wrong, and when you ask what it is "they" tell you it's depression so take these pills and go back to work. :thumb:
  9. nomlasder Active Member

Burien.
    Ratings: +113 / 0
    I thought I would answer this thread while I was on hold waiting for a specific sales person.

Work-work-work

LOL
  10. agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Groove City!
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I post at work cause I fish for a living!
    :beer1:
    :cool:
    Until my wife reminds me that I have a job and have to go in the office!
  11. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.

Thats the way of our wonderful lives if you think about it. You roll out of your nice warm bed next to your woman (for those lucky enough to have one), hurry hurry off to work. You bust your ass and give your best, your Very Best to your "boss, employer, holder of the wages, whatever you want to call him/her" and by the time you get home in the evening your loved ones get the sloppy seconds; the left overs of what energy you have left to give them. You normally dont think of it that way, but if you think about it just for a second - its the damned truth. Pretty Jacked Up if ya ask me. And the really jacked up thing is that YOU DONT MAKE MONEY!! The only people that "Make" money are the ones that work for themselves. All the rest of the Population gets a Wage, An allowance of what someone else deems you and your efforts worthy of....while they "make" the money. What do I know, I'm just a kid in the world...its just a different way of thinking about this wonderful Life we all life. Its no damn wonder we all want to run for the hills and just fish.
  12. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Why corporate America sucks, this week: My health care costs going up 25% Jan 1st, Wells Fargo "lost" a computer with my social security number, address and account info; my "corporate" clients don't pay on time (not even close), we're losing 80% of our salmon habitat to corporate developers and their brainwash machine, and I'm being audited for a potential IRS gain of $1500. That's just this week. Hey, I'm a small business owner. In fact I've owned a few. Anyone who can't see the middle class being systematically and aggressively destroyed by the current corporate political complex is out to lunch. Seriously! Viva la revolution. Time to take a stand against this relentless attack on our way of life. They want our fish, our health, our access to the American Dream. Don't believe any media, just ask any small business owner, take a walk around, think for yourself. We got ourselves some trouble. And the politicians ain't gonna fix shit. Time for us to get off our arse and fix it ground up, Patriot style. You company guys better watch your back, cause the man don't give two shits about you. And the IRS just showed me, with the tax cuts for the rich- they need to make it up somewhere, the feds got us small biz owners dead on in the water. Watch for the subtle tax increases to come- they got us pinned on booze and smokes. Fishing is next (after all its only a "privilege"). Then Internet commerce tax, more road taxes, more property tax (cause the feds took away their share), local road tolls (no money for infrastructure repairs), pay more, get less. Trickle down economics my ass. Trickle right to corporations who bank the good ol boys. I hear they are hiring bus boys at the Country Club, but you gotta compete with the illegals, so the wages are low. God bless Qwest, IRS, HealthCare Inc, RealEstateRipoff Inc, OilCompany Inc (I mean c'mon, oil funds the terrorists, get real), ReligionBrainwash Inc. Is this what the founders had in mind? I think not.

Apathy=Orwell 1984.
  13. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +348 / 3
    Nailknot:
    Much of what you say is true enough. I guess that I have a different way of looking at it. I am craftsman a union carpenter by trade. Now pushed up the ladder to a project manager. Desk job. I still am in the union and I still have my skills. I am treated fairly at my workplace, my union is collecting my pension and the way it is being invested there will be a nice tidy sum at my retirement, guarenteed. I work regular hours with Friday afternoons Satuday and Sunday to play and pray. If my boss fired me or started to take advantage of me I could leave get my tools on and go to work tomorrow for myself or a dozen other guys. I am "making" money because of my skills, no-one can take that away from me. In a way I am in business for myself without all the hassle you put up with as a business owner.
    Luvtofish makes a good point about family getting second best. Years ago I decided one day on the commute home that my wife and family deserved better so I made a committment to adjust may attitude leave the work problems behind. I would walk in the door at home and make her feel like she was #1. I guess it has worked we have been married for 38 years. I feel like I am the luckiest guy in the world!
    jesse clark
  14. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Damn, Nailknot. Sounds like you're having a pretty rough week. Maybe you need to go fishing. Take out that aggression on our scaly friends, that's what the WFDW put them there for.

That reminds of a little story: shortly after I got married we lived on a lake. I caught a nice Kokanee out of there and handed it to my wife to clean. I passed her at the kitchen sink a few minutes later and I swear I heard her say the name of my ex-girlfriend under her breath and she forcefully gutted that fish.
  15. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    I am writer, fly fishing guide and fly casting instructor. And I do a little work here for Chris on the site.

As far as business, work, obligations etc; it is no different than anything else, and certainly not a safe-haven from the world's "B.S" either. I am glad that I decided to work at what I love to do, which is to share the outdoors experience and fly fishing with people. Sometimes it is just a job. Rarely is it boreing. But mostly it is rewarding and challenging. And I get to meet some pretty nice people in some really beautiful surroundings. Even when it is freezing cold and raining sideways.

I dont work every day. Some weeks are very slow. Part of this is the seasonal ebb and flow of fish and fishermen, holidays etc. Some of it is the undulant weather and flooding cycles, and periods of unfishability here. And it is also just the growth curve of a catch-and-release-fly-fishing-only-guide in a world full of bait cups, roe sacks and herring rigs. I try to write when I am not busy on the water. Some days are more productive than others. When the words wont come I tie flies. I try to stay busy.

I don't make much money but sometimes I have a lot of fun. It does take a very long time to create a solid life in this kind of work. Finances and seed money, advertising and marketing etc., will only get you so far. You have to do the work and it takes a lot of committment. And you have to be a little nuts. An acquired taste for peanut butter and jelly helps too.
  16. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Work and School; 8:00AM to 9:00PM not much time to post anymore.:beathead:, and any free time is automatically donated to fly fishing.
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    "Semi-retired" only because I don't like to work too much, but am self-underemployed doing landscape maintenance. As a hard-core slacker (when I'm not actually working), I pretty much have to be be self-employed; otherwise I might be coerced (by threat of job-termination) into working too much. Was a surf-bum refugee from anything "corporate" since '85 (surf-addict since '67), but hung up the sticks three years ago and transferred the addiction to fly-fishing.
    No mortgage or debts, and livin' low on the hog allows me to maintain this insanity. I go online in the mornings I don't go fishing, as the internet is faster here mid-morning (evening heavy traffic bogs down). I like to work in the afternoons. I plan on about 3 hours work this afternoon, from 1 to 4pm.
    Got an invite to float the "nooch" tomorrow, so any other work will have to be scheduled later. Some day after tomorrow, maybe. It will come as no surprise that I am usually next to flat out broke after paying my bills. I am currently contemplating a re-invention of my whole act! :hmmm:

WORD! Nailknot!!! Also Luv2flyfish and jessejames.

Jimbo, from Limbo
  18. santoroman New Member

Your City ,State
    Was laid off, just in time for the holidays, going back to school to finish my BA, lookin for work as often as i can, but fishing gets in the way. :thumb: :thumb: