(NFR) You won't believe this......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Baker, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
  2. JohnW

JohnW Member

You won't believe this......

Yeah god forbid people actually see what is going on in the world.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

If this is unacceptable,why did you put it up for all to see:( :( :( :(

Jim

4. RockyMtnC&R

RockyMtnC&R Banned or Parked

From North Seattle, Currently Living In Silverthor

I couldn't find the video. Did they remove the link? I was kind of curious to see how honorable it looked when somebody "died for their country." Maybe if they had aired this kind of footage prior to the last election, we wouldn't be watching it today. Obviously, I disagree with you Jason.

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

Been there, done that, got that tee shirt.

Having troops imbedded is a bad idea. Someone needs to show the ugly reality of war.

6. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:

Do you really think we need to see a US Soldier "dropped" to understand what's going on over there?

As a 10-yr Army Ranger & Special Forces Soldier (and a combat veteran), you may find it interesting that I do not support the war in Iraq or our current US foreign policy; however I do not need to see (or do you) and actual killing of a US soldier to further concrete our positions.

If you need your "death fix", rent Faces of Death.....

Do you need to see a live rape to disagree with the premise?

The purpose of this post was to discuss the morbidity of showing such footage, not to launch a debate about the merits of the "war on terror."

Birky wearers put your battle flags, I'm with you! I just disagree with showing such footage. The intent of showing it is ratings, not education. I hope you're not so naive to think otherwise.....

7. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Member

Media:

:mad:

8. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:

Warrior, we were replying at the same time. I didn't post as a rebuttal to your post. I respect the fact that you disagree...

9. RockyMtnC&R

I will decide what I need to see for myself. So can you. CNN merely provided the footage. It is up to the individual as to whether or not they need to see it. Anything less is censorship and 100% ANTI AMERICAN.

Apples to Oranges.

I would argue that it is not possible to discuss the morbidity of such footage without launching a debate about the merits of the "war on terror."

10. RockyMtnC&R

Are we allowed to discuss politics here? I read the user rules for posting and seem to remember an anti politics rule if it isn't related to fishing. Somebody please advise. I don't want to get the boot on my first day, lol. Heck of a first thread for me to jump into...

11. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:

There's a big difference between censorship and appropriateness. Nothing was censored here, so step down off that soapbox. The question is, not if it can be, but should it be shown. There's a implied expectation with free speech and it's called objective responsibility. Would you like to see a few beheadings on the nightly news?

I also fail to see how one couldn't seperate the issues in this discussion. If a police officer is murder in my area, I just feel bad for the Officer and the family. I don't immediately start thinking about the department's current crime fighting tactics and focus.

One has to seperate "right and freedoms" to "what's right in a free system" from time to time.

If you feel it's your "right" to see a soldier being killed, I argue that you're not "right."

I guess in the end, CNN's business sense was right on the money. There are apparently folks who want to see this kind of stuff. In that light, jump on Limewire (download site); they have all the beheadings of soldiers you'd ever want to watch.....

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

Purely politics. Look at the timing alone. They could have had footage like this and much more days after the initial attack. The interent if full of this stuff. Purely media playing politics.

What major media jumped all over this story and the many like it?

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-976420.php

(medic gets sniped, but pops up, looks for the sniper, chases him down, and treats the snipers wounds)

13. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

I'm curious... was the video supplied to CNN by a terrorist/insurgent? If so, how credible is that source? And no... I don't care if CNN thinks it's the real deal. Unless they or another credible source filmed it, it's suspect at best.

14. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:

Chad you beat me to it!

War is bloody and horrific. I am not advocating censorship, but impact shots, murder scene photos and autopsy photos are not necessary to make the point. Do you need to see photos of the little Amish girls with their blood covering the walls to "see what is actually going on in the world?"

My issue with the outfits like CNN is that there is a lack of balance in the reporting. Don't hide the fact that soldiers are being killed, but also report on the success'. This war has been fought with more restraint and humanity by the US than any war in history. Maybe if our humanity and restraint was reported on more, people here and abroad would have a different perspective on the war.

Andrew

15. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:

It's interesting that CNN thought it "news worthy" to show an American soldier get killed yet the media will not show photos of the bodies of people actually jumping out of the World Trade Center because it would be "insensitive" to the survivors.

I just "know" that CNN has no political bias so I'm not sure why one clip is OK but the other is not.:confused:

16. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

Hmmmm. 100,000 Iraqis dead, including women and children, and over 1,000 Americans dead and thousands more seriously wounded......

Good thing we're holding back, or our world-wide reputation for "humanity and restraint" would skyrocket!:rolleyes:

17. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:

Hmmmm, welcome to the debate. But your arguments would have more credibility if you can demonstrate that you are well informed. Unfortunately, there have been over 2700 US military deaths. How many of the Iraq deaths were caused by the US? The "insurgents" as they are incorrectly called, are blowing up innocent women and children on a regular basis. Not our military. Yes, there have been isolated examples of abuse by our troops, but they have been far outweighed by examples of restraint, but those are rarely reported. Has the US bombed the wrong place, or unintentionally killed innocents? Of course, this is a war, but compared to any other conflict, these casualties are very low. Check the facts.

You have every right to disagree with my opinions, but you should base your arguments on facts rather than emotion.

Andrew

18. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law
    Main Entry: cen·sor
    Function: transitive verb
    : to examine (as a publication or film) in order to suppress or delete any contents considered objectionable

The clip was censored--it says so right in the article you linked to. "CNN fades the screen to black before the result — described as a victim falling forward — is visible." Whether or not the right amount of censorship was applied is the issue.

You need to use the closing quote tag:
    Code:
    [/quote]

19. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Flyborg,

Good point, but wouldn't you agree that when the term censored is used today, it implies some sort of goverment intervention, not editorial decisions?

Words and their meanings have a way of changing over the years. How about a fishing report from 50 years ago: "Fishing was great, we all caught many fish. As we walked back to the cabin we were quite happy and gay. Then we relaxed, had a few beers and smoked some fags.":rofl:

Andrew

"Not that there is anything wrong with that" - J. Seinfield

20. RockyMtnC&R

I see there are a lot of Bushees alive and well in WA. So much for the liberal stereotypes. Time to make friends fast, lol.

Anyway,

Jason-
    How can you see my soap box from all the way up there in that ivory tower of yours? It's tough to debate with somebody when they keep bending and twisting my words and using completely unrelated comparisons. We all appear to be educated adults. Save the analogies, use your words. Inside voice please, lol.

Chadk-
    Of course it's political. But it's politically significant. As you mention, we are approaching an election. Not just any election, a war time election. During a war time election, the key issue voters should be focused on is the war in question.

Bamboo-
    So, how many deaths of Iraqi civilians WERE caused by the US? Please show me that you are well informed. Just kidding, you could never retrieve a statistic like that. There is no way the US government would release the real number. If it is not obvious to you that more Iraqi civilians have died as a result of collateral damage from US bombings than the insurgent efforts, I question where you get your news. Fox or...fox?