(NFR) You won't believe this......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Baker, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    In reading though this pissing match earlier I swore that I wouldn't get sucked in but Snake's comment above begs a reply.

Phillip Graham said that "Journalism is the first rough draft of history." As a first draft it is indeed subject to revision, editing and rewriting. But the necessary perspective to do so with any degree of accuracy comes only with time and reflection. Otherwise it's far too easy to champion or dismiss events when viewed through the less-than-objective lenses of partisanship and passion.

K
  2. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    You won't believe this......

Says the pot to the kettle.....
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    I liked that Graham quote so much I found another, even better one:

"With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72

K
  4. Cactus Dana Miller

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    While I find H.S. Thompson to be an example of a first class a$$hole and self agrandizing fool, I have to admit that that statement is quite perceptive.

Must have been during one of his few lucid moments!ptyd
  5. Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

between the mountains and the sound
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Here's a couple of my favorite drinking quotes:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry.

"My dad was the town drunk. Most of the time that's not so bad; but New York City?"
    Henry Youngman.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
    Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
    Plato.

"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."
    Homer Simpson.
  6. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    What about:
    "Give me a woman who truly loves beer and I shall conquer the world". — Kaiser Wilhelm