Nice little Cutty

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jack Devlin, May 8, 2013.

1. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +765 / 0
    that pic looks like arctic fox IMO because of the long guard hairs.
  2. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Thought so too.
    Jack
  3. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Wow thanks you guys for the info on the fly!, Jack heard you were in town, what a small world!
  4. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Thanks, Regarding my "luck" has more to do with where I live/lifestyle. I'm able to fish my choice of fishyspots, the closest being 3minutesfrom my front door, also it is very important to point out that this amazing fishery is due to some folks who have advocated for and with great foresight created the fishery we are enjoying, for all I know that great fish I caught you carefully released some years before.
  5. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    Artic fox would work. I'm still new to tying and have a hard time looking at a pattern a determining with certainty what all of the materials are.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
  6. Jack Devlin Active Member

Thanks Jon,
    The minute I saw the word Morrish I remembered the fly pattern.
    Just tied a couple up.
    Tried the arctic fox but it didn't work too well - Wabbit works best as in the original pattern.

I need some longer wabbit for some bigger flies.
    Found this fairly good photo on-line. One can see the wabbit hide where it is tied in.

MorrishSmallFryOliveWhiteSize10195.jpg
    Tony Abaloney and porterHause like this.
  7. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    I'm currently attempting a longer version with an extra barred olive strip tied in at the tail.

Side note...after seeing Pat's success with that flatwing I tied up for the holiday fly swap, I tied one on at the beach yesterday. They work!

This guy measured out at approx. 19"

firstCutty.jpg
  8. Jack Devlin Active Member

I fished the Morrish small fry today. Good results. Three nice 14"-15" cutts and a chum around 4.5 inches. My friend fished my rig awhile and got himself a nice cutt too.
    I like the pattern and would like to tie some a bit longer. The rabbit I have is short. Going to look for some longer stuff over the weekend.
    jack
  9. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    That's great, I clipped some down to about an inch, early in the season, what is theblue sparkle material?
  10. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    "olive craft fur over the top, purple lite bright/angel hair body and tail with a little green krystal flash and white craft fur throat."
    Thanks
  11. Jack Devlin Active Member

Tony,
    I haven't been able to find a description of Ken Morrish's Small Fry - only some photos. For sure, the wing and throat are rabbit fur, olive and white. 1/8" straight cut works best. About 1/4 inch long as suggested by Porterhause is perfect.
    I went with Gary's suggestion of angel hair and it works great. I used some olive krystal flash but other colors would work too. I used pearl braid for the body but there too other materials would be fine.
    A good effective and proven pattern. Thanks Ken Morrish.
    Jack
  12. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Thanks Jack, Mark @ sportsman's warehouse helped me get the ingredients you listed, what an incredible resource, I will post results,
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  13. Jack Devlin Active Member

:):) I just saw Mark today. He will set you on the right path. He is a wonderful fly tyer/fisherman, and, as you said, an "incredible resource."
    Jack
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  14. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +646 / 0
    I love these open-handed, in-the-water pictures!!!
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  15. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Vise works great Jack!

Attached Files:

Mark Mercer likes this.
  16. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Hers a solid one from today, it took a coho smolt pattern.
    DSCN2713.JPG IMG_5838.JPG
    porterHause and Jack Devlin like this.
  17. Jack Devlin Active Member

Glad to hear that, Tony.
    That type of jaws and cam lever take a bit fiddling to get the hook tight but once you are familiar with it, you can tie anything on that vise. After you tie on it for a while, you will probably know just what you will want in a better vise.
    Jack
  18. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Nice meeting you today Toni and I'm glad I could be of help. Your pictures a bit blurry but the fly looks good and should do the trick.

Enjoy the Featherlight Jack....I got the other one, we'll have to brake em in on some monster
    10 inchers. :) It's a little faster than my Cabelas glass but should be fun to play with this summer.

Nice one Pat, and good looking pattern.
    Mark
  19. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I was using this smaller poxy chum fry pattern that was producing great for me early on, But there is so much bait in the water that Ive been switching to less sparse and more flash to get my pattern noticed amongst the hordes of smolt where ive been fishing lately. Did you get any fish on the one I gave you Jack? Or did you explode it on the rocks like I usually do.:) IMG_5594.JPG
  20. Jack Devlin Active Member

Pat, I forgot to tell you.
    Nailed a few cutts with the fly and then "retired" it before I lost/damaged it. Have it in my box.
    Jack
    Pat Lat likes this.