Nice little Farlow

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I bought this little Farlow Perfect a while back from a gentleman in the UK. It paired up beautifully with my Tom Morgan 386 but about 90 years of use and a couple botched repairs had done their damage. The reel had a lot of wobble from a damaged spindle along with some missing screws and a bad looking plastic replacement handle.

Knowing up front that it would cost me nearly the actual value of the reel, I sent it off to Bill Archuleta to his work his magic. Since the reel was damaged and already far from original, I knew that I wasn't reducing it appeal to collectors. More importantly, it fishes great and needs to be on the river pulling in trouts from this side of the Atlantic.

[​IMG]

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Beauty, and I bet it has lots of fine tales to tell.

3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What a beautiful little reel! Thomas
    The best looking reel is on the water!! : )

4. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

well worth the investment for that gorgeous reel. That is a heck of a nice photograph too.

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Beautiful reel. Worth every penny to bring it back from the nearly dead.
    Also really nice handle shape, hex seat ring and wood filler on the rod.

TC

6. Thomas Mitchell

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Tim. That's a rod from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. From a cosmetics standpoint, no other graphite rod that I have seen comes close even down to the details like the hand sewn, padded rod sock. Hell, even the custom aluminum tube comes with it's own sock. From a fishing perspective, it's just dreamy. Admittedly, they are expensive but you just have to amortize the cost premium across all the days of fun to be had over it's useful life.

T.

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Handsome reel Thomas. So is it back from Archie's yet and if so, what all did he do to it?

K

8. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have begun to include both children and yet-to-be born grandchildren when amortizing the cost of my accumulation.

TC

9. Thomas Mitchell

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hi Kent-

That photo is post-repair. Here's what Bill said after he got into it:

I probably should have examined this reel a little more closely before I started, but I'm now ready to re-bush the frame. The proper way to do this is to take a minimum cut off the spindle (properly centered,) and bore the frame for the new bushing. Instead, someone before me modified it by doing the opposite. He turned down the spindle and placed a sleeve over it. While doing this, he didn't center the handle plate, so the spindle is now .020" off center. The threaded spud for the spool is also bent giving the spool that "bent" look. Actually, the spool is fine.
    The only way to properly save this is to cut off the threaded stud and stub in a new one. Trying to match the threads will be a challenge, but I think I can do it. I will also need to re-sleeve the spindle, since that's the way it has already been done, and make a new left hand lock screw, since the original threads are shot.

It's now tight & smooth as a new reel. I had it out on the river today and it got to sing a little bit on a couple nice coastal cutthroats.

[​IMG]

10. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Wow - sounds like major surgery. I hesitate to imagine how much it cost. OTOH, like a heart surgeon, it's a comfort to know that folks like Archie are available when your loved one's life is on the line. Thanks for sharing.

K

11. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Very nice Tom - and now good for another 90 years!