Nice sub for Waddington Shanks.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SpeyRodBeBop, May 27, 2005.

1. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

I'm sure some of you guys have discovered this already, but I'm usually a day late with most things. I was browsing in my local hardware store the other day and found some 1/16 X 3/4 cotter pins that work really well as cheaper version Waddington shank replacements. I attached the hook using dental floss threaders and wrapping them down with thread--works beautifully.

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I think you are going to have to come up with a better name for these before they catch on.
    "1/16 X 3/4 cotter pins", just dosn't cut the mustard when compared to "Wadington Shank".

Maybe, "Colonel Cotters Shanks" or something along those lines.

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    But don't those cotter pins have a sharp edge?

4. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

Not the ones I've got-- they are rounded, pretty much like a ring eyed hook. I've been fishing with them they cast well. No more tube flies for me.

5. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    A great way is to buy tinned music wire at the hardware store, then buy a pair a jewelry pliers at the crafts store and form your own shanks. Lets you create exactly what you need for the pattern you are tying. That is how I started making my own hooks is from first making shanks. . . .

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Just get over it and buy a spinner bait maker from bass pro shops. :thumb:

7. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

Media:
    This sounds very slick, simple and would not even require my tube attachment! Many cotter pin lengths available and very cheap in stainless (I like having a silver base underbody to start with/let alone stainless for use in salt/beaches and fresh). I assume you're still enjoying tying on the cotter pins? The dental floss thread intriques me too, I've always tied my rear trailing hook loops (for bucktail/salt flies etc) from heavy test mono. The threaders would be stiff and small diameter I'd guess? Sounds like they proved out to be plenty strong for your confidence? I'm curious now how strong they are for using for spring/king trailers as well.

Appear cheap at about 8 cents each,

http://www.flossaid.com/store/agora.cgi?keywords=.

I've always been curious why on waddingtons they dont' tie on a trailing loop for the rear hook so the actual fly line tippet can just tie to the waddington eye...avoid the hook holding tube/extra detail required...is it that important that the fly separate and ride up and away from the fish after he's taken the rear trailer hook? ie. does it save your fly that much wear'n'tear??

8. Hywel

Hywel New Member

With Waddington Shanks being so readily available and reasonable in price, I've found the best substitute for a Waddington Shank to be a Waddington Shank. :thumb:

Hywel

9. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

Media:
    FWIW, I picked up 60 total, 20 @ in 3/4", 1-1/4", 1-3/4" for $3CD total locally (Lordco). Typically I like buying the real McCoy, but saving some pennies is fun sometimes:) Be like prepping bucktail tandems I'm guessing, some production with rear loops and fine glue for a bit.

Happy (has lots of dangler hooks) Gilmore

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The bonus to buying them cheap comes in fishing the shanks. Some of the best steelhead slots are heavily strewn with snags. So not as much "cringing" when you snag one up and snap off. Waddingtons are great, but the pins sure are alot cheaper. Plus, don't think the fish care what you tie on, as long as they like the looks of it. ;)

I also think I found a source for tubes. Have to custom cut of course. But have a customer on route who makes marine grade guages for boats. Took a look at their tubing wheel (master spool) and guess what it is? Tube fly material. Only difference, it has writing on the side of it. Same consistency and diameters. Plus, think I can get about 100' for a couple bucks. May see if I can sweet talk them and see about getting a spool. Lifetime supply of tubes. LOL. The way I went through them this winter, I may need to stock up on them. :D

11. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

Media:
    Furthering this, I've tied some on cotter pins now and was concerned as well about the potential for chaffing inside the front eye (may or may not be an issue with my pins/it's not the smoothest inside edge) I wanted to put a small strong split ring on the front/eye of the cotter pin but the rings I had were not strong enough. I've put swivels on mine to date but have inquired with a few sellers of heavy duty split rings and hope to go this route in the future as their seem to be a few split rings of reasonable size and 15-20lb+ pull out strength. (using high strength fireline for stinger loop/stiff enough to prevent fouling).

12. Joe M.

Joe M. another addict

Media:
    Quincy, MA but my heart is still in Bellingham
    I make my own with 0.032" stainless wire. Patricks sells packages of 25x6" for a few bucks and each pieceis big enough to make a 2-4 shanks depending on the size of the fly. I cut a piece of wire and form an eye on one end, and then on the other end I put a 90 deg bend in the wire about 1/8-1/4" from the end. The tag extending from the bend makes it easy to hold securely in the vise. I attach the hook with 35 lb gel-spun backing (I got an 800 yard spool for $20 last year from Orvis), and cut off the tag when I'm done with the fly.

13. Brian P

Brian P Member

I tried the cotter pin the other day on a sculpin streamer for trout and it worked great, caught many fish up to 22" and never had any problems with the eye cutting the line or anything else. Today I tried it again and the only thing that happened is I hooked a log and bent out the traing hook. For the trout flys I do not put the braided line through the eye; just tie it down real tight with kevlar thread and then coat it with zap a gap and it works great. Now I just need to put a new hook on it and I am back in business. Thanks for the great idea.

Brian

14. the-buddler

the-buddler New Member

My good freind Leroy Teeple, turned me on to tying and fishing pin flies ,about ten years ago. bend the eye down,like a down eye fly,and slide it on the leader. The leader runs along the under side of the fly, and a ring eye stinger hook is attached to the back end of the pin with plastic junction tubing ,similar to tube flies. when the fish takes the fly the hook disconects from the pin, and the fish is on a small sharp,short shank hook. I use 3/32 gauge pins around one to two inches long, made of stainless steel,and brass.We have found this rigging better than the waddington style rigging ,with the stinger hook on a loop line.:thumb:

15. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Amazing....and I thought I was the only smart one. Fly tiers just look at things differnt than the rest of the population..