Nice take....

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Stonefish, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    regardless of the gear.

Can't wait for the local ditch pickles to get active so I can toss some of these at them.
    [IMG]
  2. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Wow. That was awesome.
  3. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Wow - that thing was hungry!
  4. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +468 / 1
    haha, ditch pickles.
    plaegreid likes this.
  5. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Haha, he said it scared him seems like he was just trying recover his line for another cast. Nice! Nothing like being startled by a top water take.
  6. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +722 / 0
    It is takes like that is what made fishing buzz baits so much fun. During the late 1980s/early 1990s buzz baits were one of my go to baits all summer; the fish had not seen many before and the sort of take was a daily occurrence though the fish were smaller (2 to 7 #s).

Always a toss up whether those explosive takes on the buzzer or my fly rod poppers disappearing a swirl that often belied the size of the fish were the best strikes.

Curt
  7. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +759 / 0

How had I not heard this term before this week?
    McNasty likes this.
  8. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    How long was that fish out of the water?
  9. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,343 / 0
    Two more months. I love poppers, but I think I like swimming deer hair mice even better.
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,743 / 0
    Poppers are my thing. I don't really care to catch LMB subsurface because it is so rare that they jump. However, there isn't much that gets me more excited than a hug bass blowing up on a popper.

It's all about the savage blast! Must be a heck of a surprise to the bass when they find out the meal isn't real and bites back!

I recently started using mice patterns on the surface and I can see where they may end up as my second choice for LMB.
  11. NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    dang, I have never seen a take like this before, I wasn't certain that was the fish, just thought the guy was realing in super fast
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,743 / 0
    I was fishing a bass pond that had a lot of weed growth. I was tossing surface poppers close to the vegetation. You'd see the weeds part just before the bass blew up on the popper.

This happened all day. The bass were close to shore and had to muscle their way through the weeds to hit the popper so you saw them coming through the weeds... similar to the clip.

Man, that was fun!!!
  13. dpenrod Member

kansas city, mo.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    stonefish, care to share the recipe for the bottom three flies in your pic? they look to be the same fly? i think i can figure it out and they look like a simple tie, but would like some direction and a materials list if you are so inclined. that video has me itching for some warm water fishing. water is still fairly hard around my parts unfortunately. thanks
  14. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Dp,
    The name of that pattern is the Murdich Minnow. I believe it was originally designed for river smallmouth or stripers. I've used it in lakes with good success while bass fishing for both LM & SM.
    If you google Murdich Minnow you find a number of videos showing how to tie it using different materials.
    SF
  15. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,307 / 4
    That was fantastic.
  16. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +265 / 3
    Freaking sick, I love largemouth, gotta find a local pond with some around.