night fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by fly physher, Jul 21, 2009.

1. fly physher

fly physher New Member

anybody have any tips that make night fishing easier?

I've night fished at pass lake a few times and it's really productive but i have trouble casting by feel and trying top land my fly a few feet from the shoreline when I can hardly tell how far I am from shore.

2. jimmysworking

jimmysworking Well, at least I'm supposed to be...

Media:
    Headlamp? I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't been out when it was too dark to tell where the shoreline was, but I would think a headlamp would be helpful. There are many more experienced and much better fishermen than I who will chime in and help you out. I just wanted to try to give back to the board that has been so helpful to me.

3. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    if youre not getting hung up every once in a while, Youre not doing it right. It is hard to see out there, but just try to forget about losing flies and get as close to the bank as you can. I have has some real nice takes late at night in just a few inches of water

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You might try using some glow in the dark materials if you tie flies. I've been using glow in the dark flashabou to tie baitfish for a couple years. It's hard to beat catching cohos and kings off the beach in the middle of the night. I use a headlamp every 10th cast to recharge the fly, they're pretty easy to see in the dark.

5. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    ibn, great idea on the glow in the dark material....
    never tried it but will, thanks!
    David

6. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

I've never seen glow in the dar materials. Where do I find that?

7. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  8. fly physher

fly physher New Member

great info guys I appreciate it. I'll check my sporting goods store for glow in the bark flashabou. I've been using a headlamp but it only helps for a few feet around you.

9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    first i would suggest upgrading your headlamp. especially if it is only lighting up a few feet. hit up REI and try out the different models. there are plenty of good choices in the $30-40 range and they are invaluable tools. try to get one with multiple settings. that way when you look down to tie a fly or unhook a fish you can click it down a notch and not blind yourself.

secondly. casting. well.... its not easy. but its worth it. one thing that really helps me is drawing a parallel line away from shore and sticking to it as i work my way down. basically i want every cast to be the same distance. about 40 feet. at night no matter what you do your depth perception is fubar and if you keep snaking in and out from shoreline, one cast is gonna be in the road and the next 10 feet short.

i strip out a set amount of line and if my casts are falling short i kick in or vice versa.

keep at it and remember night fishing isnt fishing for a half hour after dark. 1:00-3:00am has consisntently been the best window for browns hands down. cover a lot of water and you shall be rewarded.

10. Islander

Islander Steve

One thing you don't want to do is keep turning your headlamp on. Let your eyes adjust to the dark. The more you night fish the better you will get at it. I only use my headlamp to get a fish in the net and unhooked, or to tie on a new fly. The rest of the time it's off. Your eyes will get adjusted to the dark and you will be suprised how well you can see. Much of it still will be "by feel" but that will come with experience. My .02

11. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    iagree
    Win.

Besides, better you can't see all the bats circling around you.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Get a red LED headlamp, won't monkey with the rods in your retina and mess up your night vision. (So I've been told). You can find some that have a red lense that attaches over the lamp and others that have one single red led that you can turn on. Hiking at night is much easier once you sit still for ten minutes and allow for good adjustment of your eyes.

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    hmmm. i fish with mine ON 100% of the time unless its foggy or a really bright night. to each his own i guess.

14. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    I don't do a lot of night fishing but when I do, I tend to fish with my light on when I am fishing up tight to the bushes or going for distance. I used my Aunts fishing light with the blacklight on it and it lit up my fly line suprisingly well on the beach.

15. long_rod_silvers

long_rod_silvers New Member

Media:
    Get a "Brunton" head lamp. They make a 3 watt and 5 watt headlamp for $75-$250 on amazon. The 5 watt headlamp is the brightest headlamp available to the public, and the 3 watt was the brightest until they came out with the 5 watt last year. It is absurd how much light these things put out. A very valuable tool for fishing at night. You won't have the problem of not being able to see where you are casting to, or even where your cast is landing w/ these lamps.

16. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    999th post. The brunton stuff is top of the line. If you are going to get serious about night fishing, get a brunton!

17. Paul Stavig

Paul Stavig Member

Another piece of necessary equipment would be sunglasses with clear lenses. Casting in the dark significantly increases your chances of snaring your eyeball! Ouch.

18. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Just returned from three days at Leech and Dog Lakes. Did the night thing once and action was very steady. Since you should be pounding the weedlines at night, I strongly recommend short-lining it (max around 20' casts) and reducing your false casting to maybe once or twice. No need to have a bunch of line nesting in your lap and the fish are way more aggressive in the dark.

19. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I usually just troll at night because it's just easier (and easier to smoke a cigar). Doesn't work to well if you need to get the fly in the weeds or towards the bank though. It kind of trips me out having the fly whizzing past my head in the dark. I prefer no light but carry a mini-mag, headlamp, and my GPS. I pretty much only fish lakes that would be easy to find the launch in the dark but the GPS speeds it up a bit. I usually plot a waypoint for the launch and another out in the middle of the lake from the launch (a point you can kick to from anywhere on the lake, then go strait to the launch from there). Gets dark out there...

20. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Another thought or two on night fishing; if you are going to tie “glow in the dark” flies, you might want to pick up some small glow in the dark corkies, .14 ea. Push them over the eye of the hook, maybe a size 6, tie in a small amount of yarn @ the top and cement corkie to yarn. Use with a red hook or tie your favorite egg pattern.
    Years ago, when I was teaching myself to cast, I read about taking a fly line and cutting it into 10’ lengths. Reattaching with a nail knot and you could than “listen” to how much fly line you have out. Never tried it but this should work for night fishing.