night fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by fly physher, Jul 21, 2009.

1. My buddies and I always string up several rods with flies before heading out for the night, and then strap the extra rods to the back of our watercraft. When the rod your fishing goes all rats nest, just toss it to the side and grab the next rod.

2. Lots of good info here. Clear glasses to protect the eyes, strong headlamp with spotlight, heavy tippet because the fish can't see and are much more aggresive, short leaders, big ugly flies and hold on. But don't expect it to be easy, gotta pay your dues.

3. I really enjoy night fishing on lakes. It is usually peaceful, quiet and there are usually not many other fishermen out there. You often have a great view of the stars, planets, meteors and satellites crossing the sky. The bigger fish often are more active at night, and to me it is more exciting to get that big hit in the dark than in daylight. And, some of the most amazing insect hatches happen at dusk or at night.

I usually leave my headlamp off except for when I land and release a fish or have to tie on a new fly. I mainly do this to keep the bugs from being attracted to my headlamp. Be careful if it is foggy, drizzly or snowing as your headlamp won't help you much because it just reflects off the fog or snow and you can't see much or very far. If you do go out in those conditions, take a compass so you can find your way back to camp, the boat launch or the proper shore.

Practice casting your setup in daylight before trying it in the dark. Strip out a set amount of line, like maybe eight pulls of line from your reel, then cast it out and then count how many strips it takes before you need to cast again (in my case, it is usually around 24 strips). This is important to know because you otherwise will not know when to start casting again in the dark and you’ll often strip in the fly too far and have to waste time getting your fly line back out through the guides. It is not important to make long casts at night; no one can see you and the fish don’t care. Don’t worry about maintaining tight loops; wide, open loops are less likely to get tangled in the dark. If you have trouble casting at night, just forget about casting and just let out line and troll along in your float tube or boat until you’ve let out all the line you’ve stripped off the reel.

If you have trouble casting to the edges, then just try fishing over the shoals or drop-offs, as I find just as many fish there as on the edges at night.

The mosquitoes can be bad at night, especially right at dusk, so be prepared and carry your favorite insect repellent. My favorite is 3M Ultrathon.

Be safe so you won’t be sorry… When fishing at night, there usually aren’t many other fisherman out on the lake, so getting help quickly is not a likely option. Fish a lake you know well or fish with someone who does.

Rex

4. I found that other than the headlamp I needed short leaders. I mostly fish big flies on sinking lines at night.