Night Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by plaegreid, Aug 28, 2013.

1. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    So I've found a few old threads on night fishing for silvers and blackmouth in the dark, but no mention of it for pinks. Has anyone tried to pick up slimers in the sound after dark? I've got a semi-private beach that calls to me for some night action.

2. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I'd be interested in this also. I'll have access to a private beach this weekend.

3. Bonefish Jack

Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Somehow, the title of this thread creates a number of varied visuals, many of which are NFR :confused:

4. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

Ultimately pink fishing (at least on my beach) is no different at night than the day. The only difference is fewer humans and you can't sight cast to the schools. You just guess the school's position by the sound of the rollers/jumpers and rip your fly or popper through there and hang on. However an hour before/after dawn/dusk can get fairly sporty...

plaegreid likes this.
  5. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Have you noticed any difference between clear and overcast nights?

6. jwg

jwg Active Member

I have observed pinks coming a lot closer to shore in the wee hours of the morning before sunrise
    Jay

7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Just keep an eye out for giant squid and or a horny harbor seal. Things can get a little strange in the sound when the lights go out.

Metalonthefly and plaegreid like this.
  8. sourdoughsmitty

sourdoughsmitty Member

Media:
    Hey , You promised you would,nt tell now everyone is going to know about me and beatrice :D:eek:

plaegreid likes this.
  9. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

I live on commencement bay, the amount of light coming from the Port of Tacoma is enough that overcast or clear there is still a fair bit of light on the water. To answer your question no, I haven't noticed a difference. My alcoholism could be a contributing factor though.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. plaegreid

Media:
    Went out tonight from 9-10:45, didn't even hear a fish jump, but it was a neat night to be out. It raised another question, however: does the phosphorescent algae mess with the fishing? I noticed that it drew a big-ass glowing line directly to the fly, which, if I were a fish, would be a red flag. It made for a neat underwater light show though!

11. plaegreid

Media:
    Went out last night for about two hours after sundown. Gorgeous night, gin clear and with a bright moon, but didn't even hear a splash, let alone get a bump. Saw some phospho-glow in the water, not as much as last time, but still neat. All in all a very pretty casting practice session!

Also, just a reminder to keep your eyes open for those big-ass rollers, I watched one approach in the moonlight and trucked back to safety, but it woulda dunked me had I not. Open eyes stay alive!