Nippon Fishing Tackle project

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Tyler84, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Tyler84

Tyler84 New Member

Recently, I purchased a bamboo rod at a garage sale for 3$. I could barely make out a NFT decal on the butt section. The blank was in good shape but all the finish had worn off the threads and the ferrules were loose so I decided to make a project out of it and fix it up. There was some sort of dark brown coating covering the blank which I sanded off. I re-set the ferrules with epoxy and re-wrapped it with new guides using silk thread. So far, I'm into it for about 20$. Now I'm up against a road block. I want to try and dip the rod in a sealer of some sort. My plan was to get a section of PVC and cap, then get a hold of a proper sealer, mask off the guides and ferrules, then dip the rod a few times to seal the blank and wraps.

Any suggestions on a good sealer product?

My research on NFT rods suggests that this rod is not a high quality rod, mainly a GI souvenir, made out of inferior cane. So far, the condition of the rod and the components is consistent with this. There's probably better things to do with my life. Still, I have some time on my hands, and I think it would be a fun rod to fish with so I'm gonna go ahead and use it as practice.

Anyone have any more info about these rods for curiosity sake?

2. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    So from the sounds of it the rod has all your hardware mounted on it ready to fish other than a finish coat. You need to get a few coats of finish on your wraps first if you haven't done that already. Keep adding coats until you have a nice even surface over the wraps. I use a spar var thinned about 30% with artists turps for this step. You can buy a small bottle of this at Ben Franklin in the art dept. You can varnish the wraps using a small brush or do like I do and use a very small artist spatula to apply it. Clean up the edges of the wraps with a single edge razor blade scraping off the runoff for a nice clean look where the wraps end. Once you have that done you can finish the whole rod. A dip tube is what many use but there are some other options that might better suit you needs at this point. You can finish the rod with Forbys Tung oil furniture finish very easily. Just rub on successive coats and buff them lightly in between with 0000 (oil free) steel wool after they have dried. Keep adding coats until you get a nice sheen and skip the last buff if you like. It will take at least 6 coats but they go on fast. After that add a coat or two of pure carnuba car wax and you are good to go.

Mike

3. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Another option for a rub-on finish is Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, which is commonly used for gun stocks. While you're at the gun shop, pick up a bottle of Birchwood-Casey's gun stock wax. I've also used Daly's Seafin, which seems to work better after applying a few coats of tung oil.

Your research on the quality and value of post-WWII Japanese rods is correct, but it will still be a lot of fun to finish the rod and fish it. When I was a kid, we had a couple of these that were pretty good for fishing small streams where a long cast wasn't required.

Let us know how it comes out!

Tom