Nisqually Delta

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ray helaers, Mar 6, 2002.

1. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

M00se's query on the Stilly Delta got me thinking about an outing I've cooked up but never realized.

I always thought it would be interesting to launch the drift boat on the Nisqually at the ramp just upstream from I-5, spend the bottom of the ebb drifting the couple miles to the mouth, spend the flood poking around the outer edges of the delta, maybe a little into the mouth of McAllister Creek, then take out at the ramp at Luhr Beach. It seems like there'd be good opportunites for SRCs and maybe resident silvers out in the saltchuck (or migrators in the summer/fall).

Anybody have any ideas? Fished the area before? Got any tips? In the spring, you'd have to keep the rods in the holders till you reached the salt, but would it be worth it once you got out there? After June 1, would it be worth it river or salt? I imagine the fall would be good for both. Any input will be appreciated.

2. guest

guest Guest

Never done it, But I'll go with you when you do! Isn't the nisqually closed right now? I fished it quite a bit this season for Chums, lots of fish. I'd like to do it in a boat, I guess you have to access the mouth through Ft.Lewis, wich was difficult this year because of the 9/11 incident. I plan on dedicating plenty of time to it next year. Here's a thought, Shoot some ducks and catch some chums from the same boat on the same day. I've got shotguns and Decoy's. :THUMBSUP

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

There is a nice rocky beach north of the Luhr beach access, perfect for sea runs. I have hit a few there in the past.

4. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Ray, heck of an idea!

Haven't fished it myself, but my grandfather (who died in 1963) lived in DuPont & used to hunt & fish the delta a lot. He'd launch at Luhrs, which was a private boathouse back then, and troll around the delta with gear & catch lots of cutthroat. He'd fish off Anderson Island for salmon. I remember my dad (also dead now) saying that you had to fish the delta at high tide or risk getting stuck. I was a little squirt at the time & they wouldn't take me because it was too dangerous.

Tom

5. Piscator

Piscator New Member

I've done that trip before and it was a blast. We put in at the boat launch at old Nisqually and floated down to the salt and rowed over to Lurh Beach. We were in pontoon boats and that ment A LOT of rowing once we hit the salt. The tides can be difficult to predict and even if you figure it out it is still difficult. The fishing out there can be great, and then again it can suck. I guess you need to know what you're doing and I still not sure if I do or not. The wildlife out in the delta is awesome, I've never seen so many bald eagles and other birds. Good luck if you decide to do it. be prepaired for a long day, it takes longer than you would think.
    Fish on!
    Len

6. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I've neglegted to thank everybody for the input. Thanks!

I hadn't considered the currents. The water doesn't just go up and down, does it? But I guess if you didn't wind up in the shipping lanes in your kick-boats, I should be able to handle it in the 16' Lavro.

What time of year were you out there? It would be nice to wait till June when you could fish the river as well as the salt. The chum thing in the fall sounds great too, and isn't there a late winter chum run on the Nisqually, December and Jan?

At any rate, Thanks again!

7. Piscator

Piscator New Member

We went in June, it was a perfect day (no rain) and we hit the tides just right. I imagine that if you hit an in comming tide while you were still in the fresh water you'd never get anywhere. We were able to hit the salt on the slack tide so that it pulled us out and then when it came back in it pushed us in the right direction. We spent about two+ hours rowing thorugh the salt just to get to Luhr Beach and that was with the tide pushing us. It probably wouldn't have taken much longer if we had just sat there and let the tide do the work. So...do you home work and if that don't work bring a motor.
    The fishing in the lower Nisqually can be great, I've caught some nice sea-runs and a few chums(but not in June). The salt can be hit and miss but i believe there is a lot of potential to be had out there. Again, good luck, let us all know how it goes.

Fish on!
    Len