No idea what kind of reel to get.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by etholen, Nov 6, 2013.

1. etholen

etholen New Member

2. PT

PT Physhicist

It helps to know what you're looking to fish for and how much you actually fish. Lots of good inexpensive reels out there. But, if you're going to use it a lot and mix in a trip to the tropics, that might change the recommendations you'll receive.

Porter likes this.
  3. Porter

Porter Active Member

I agree with PT. More details for a more specific reply...otherwise you get the run of the mill answers.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

I agree with PT. More details for a more specific reply...otherwise you get the run of the mill answers.

5. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

The drag system on more expensive reels are usually much better. However, I think most of todays (cheaper) reels will work just fine for beginners - especially Sage. My buddy back in AK has landed hundreds of salmon/large trout on his $45 Okuma SLV, no problem.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Go Lamson or go home...otherwise I have no strong conviction on the question.

cnnorgil likes this.
  7. Porter

Porter Active Member

See!!! :p

etholen likes this.
  8. PT

PT Physhicist

Lamson, if you like a push together reel.... If you're going to waste your money on a Lamson or Ross, might as well step up and buy a real reel like a Bauer.

:)

Porter and Skysoldier like this.
  9. etholen

etholen New Member

haha, well, I live near Lake Ontario. There's a bunch of creeks where decent size salmon and trout run up. I'm going on a fishing trip to Alaska in the Spring to catch sockeye. I also will be making trips to the Andirondacks to camp and fish for trout. So I will be fishing moderately through out the year. Hope that helps!

10. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I think PT was on the right track with his advice. For fresh water, not much is needed, however if you are thinking about using it in warm saltwater, you may want to step up a bit on the drag system. A 20 lb steelhead can be handled with a click drag, but a 4 lb bonito may spool you!

11. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

I've heard good things about allen reels that are in the same price range. The Alpha III or Trout II reels both seem like they perform very well and customer service is a plus with them. Always good to support your local WFF'r too!

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  12. Porter

Porter Active Member

Bauers = Sweet reel and smooth drag!

Skysoldier and PT like this.
  13. PT

PT Physhicist

Nice thing about a top quality reel is if you ever decide to take a trip to the tropics. You won't have to scramble looking for a new reel because you'll already have it.

You can get butter smooth drags from $100-$800. $100 will be smooth for a while, 3-500 will be smooth for a lifetime. For most fish a smooth drag isn't required. An educated palm is all that is really needed to land about anything that swims......... ;)

Figure out what you want to spend on a reel and go from there.

Skysoldier likes this.
  14. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
  15. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I've been very impressed by less expensive reels. Modern machine technologies, CNC machining and close tolerance have almost made weight and balancing a moot issue. The drag system and bearings may be where the extra money shows itself. Read reviews and look to MFG's that have a rep for longevity. I don't use a fly rod much for large quarry so I'd be more interested in the best balanced and light weight click/pawl type reel. If the drag is going to be in service you need to read a lot of reviews. The price swing in fly reels is a little absurd. Modern machine tech makes the difference between a hand made reel and a mass produced product so small that it comes down to the materials and thought put into the drag system. Which I don't use that much for anything but back pressure when stripping! That said... Really cheap reels will always disappoint because the finishes and drag systems are so bad as to be in the "It'll do" category. Buy USA if you can! The Chinese manufacturing machine may make some useful products but it's going to eat the world if we don't step up.

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Get something that has stainless steel guts of course. Try to get a better quality reel as best you can. Don't forget to include in your "budget" the cost of a spare spool. Some spare spools are outrageous for cost, so don't forget that part. You will most likely desire a spare spool and line.

17. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Hard to beat a Bauer reel.

18. biere.froide

biere.froide New Member

Like others I also recommend machined reels over cast reels. A cast reel isn't as pliable as a machined reel and can break if you try and pry it back into shape after a bump... Again make sure there is a good warranty and that the company stands behind their product.

Go to your favorite shop and try the reels out. Set the drag to its minimum and maximum settings and check how the reel performs under those settings. Also check how easy would it be to adjust the drag when fighting a fish.

I would look at backing capacity if going after big fish. You may also want to consider interchangeable spools so you can quickly change to a different setup.

I'm currently fishing with Lamson and Nautilus reels and haven't had any issues.

19. underachiever

underachiever !

Media: