No More Wild Steelhead Sold at Pike Place market

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 14, 2010.

1. Now that is totally cool. I sent a nasty gram to them earlier. Now I will have to write another note praising their effort and for taking a stand on wild fish conservation.

2. Chris,
    Im glad that I started this whole topic last winter when I took the photo. I took the photo at PPFM of the wild steel head for 6.99 per LB. Im glad that the greater good is looking to preserve this magestic fish for future generations. Thanks for the follow up Chris....

3. That's GREAT news. I sent them a thumbs up for their decision on this.

4. Ringlee, thanks for shining the light on the subject. I'll follow my previous WTF email with a Thank You for listening one now!

5. oh Helllls yes...

6. Nice work Chris and everyone who sent emails. This is truly awesome and I will be sending my thanks!

7. Excellent work folks.:thumb:

8. Yes!!! Now I'll send them the type of e-mail I prefer to author. Well done, all.

E-mail sent.

9. I know its a small victory, but gosh dangit it sure does make you feel good about people once again! :) Good on you Pike Place, i know where my next fish or crab purchase will be!

10. Great news, and I posted on their blog to that effect. Save for a few exceptions, 'keeping' a wild Steelhead here in Oregon (as in Washington) is a major 'No-No.' There are exceptions (Rogue River you can keep up to five during the Winter), but even 'giving' a legal fish to a neighbor requires some interesting paper work to stay within the printed game regulations.

11. Awesome work guys! This shows that a coordinated effort can change things in our fisheries for the better.

12. Congratulations everyone, excellent result! Time to send the PPFM a little business as well as a Thank You note.

13. Finally, they listened and got some of the facts. Thanks to everyone who made there point and took action, this is the type of willingness wild steelhead need. Great news going into the Wild Steelhead Coalition Banquet tonight.

14. PS: Thanks Chris....

15. most excellent, i also thanked them for this important stance on a critical species issue.

16. Great first step - now the momentum should shift to campaigning against those vendors who are going to start selling them - the next in line. Because others will see this as an opportunity - keep fighting the good fight.

17. Did not expect this. Huge props to Pike's Place, and to everyone that stepped up to send the message!

18. Not to throw cold water on this, but this change in policy coincides with the arrival of the first Copper River sockeye and kings and the wind-down of the wild steelhead migration. Was this a moral / ethical decision or simply one of convenience? Some of us have long memories; we can remember back to similar campaigns that targeted the sale of wild steelhead at local markets. It seems more like the game of "whack-a-mole". As long as the tribes can legally harvest wild steelhead (as can sportsfishers....), they will find a market. To make a lasting, positive change, you have to strike a deal with the individual tribes that can legally harvest and sell these fish and make it worth their time to reduce their harvest. How one does this in practice (paid for fewer days, shorter soaks, different gear, payment, etc.) is a huge issue. And the tribes have to be willing to participate in this.

Steve

19. Guess we'll find out when next season rolls around.