no such thing as a stupid question?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Adams, Aug 15, 2013.

1. hey guys, sorry for the maybe dumb question but, can i use a 9 foot 5 weight rod to fish for pinks in the puyallup?

2. Sure, why not. I doubt they will break the rod. At worst you might lose some due to excessively long fights. And if you don't hook any at all, then a 0-weight would have been equally effective.

I wouldn't rush out to get a new rod just for pinks. You'll have plenty of other excuses to get new rods down the road.

Blake Harmon and Seth Adams like this.
  3. Heard tell that people are using pink Barbie poles, so have at it.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  4. thanks i just was worried about breaking the rod, the only reason im using my fly rod is because my wife is using the spin setup, and i like to use my centerpin for salmon (i know i know, but i dont like to limit myself to one style of fishing, its all good to me) but i lost the screw out of my centerpin reel and i dont want to stop fishing. also i just have sink tip line so i was thinking maybe just use some split shot if i have to?

5. Only hold the cork. Don't ever hold it by the rod. You should be fine. If hell starts breaking loose then just point the rod at the fish and slow him down with your hand on the reel.

Have fun.

dflett68 and Seth Adams like this.
  6. I'd go with the sink tip line and stay away from split shot - it will complicate your cast. Use a heavier fly if you think getting down quicker will help. Pinks tend to have softer mouth parts compared to other salmon, so more likely to have the hook pull out than have the rod break. But of course you never know.

Seth Adams likes this.
  7. Seth, if you are fishing with your wife, and she digs it, it doesn't matter.

Good on you man.

Seth Adams likes this.
  8. I would find other waters to target pinks than the puyallup with a fly rod. It runs like chocolate milk all season. It's a snag fest. The fish couldn't see the fly if it hit them in the face. Try the nisqually.

9. it will work

Seth Adams likes this.
  10. .....

Seth Adams likes this.
  11. For the most part that is true.....if your reel is not secure it could end up being tugged right off ripping the seat (lip) and covering cork to shreds. Of course that is not breaking the rod...but destroying some components. Fighting bigger fish secure that reel well to the seat!

Seth Adams likes this.
  12. Also the old BASS trick of fighting a big fish with the rod sideways and down by the water really does take some weight off the fish. The hard part is remembering to try it!

13. you should have no problem, pinks in the river tend to drag as opposed to really pulling. My first (and best) pink season, I fished a 5wt Griggs, an Okuma Integrity 6wt reel and a really crappy 5 wt floater. OK Crystal River from Walmart, I'll 'fess, (postdoc wages) and had a blast. Goodness knows how many fish days. I had gear fishers asking me what I was doing...it was awesome. Now fancier gear and over thinking things has had horrid effects in recent seasons. Plus if you get a silver on, you will really have fun. Let 'em run...

Dave

14. Maybe pinks gain strength after entering freshwater. I fished pinks at Hoodsport with a 5 weight and was not undergunned. A larger pink might go 24 inches and that's in the 5 lb range, a 5 wt should be no problem.

I also fished pinks with old 6 wt fiberglass rods. Now the pinks were pulling machines on fiberglass.

15. Yes I would say most of the time that is true....but there are those occasions that you might find your hand off the reel and doing something else....such as holding on to a branch for balance, walking on unsteady grounds and using your hand for balance, etc. It only takes a moment. Some of the unfitted reel seat hardware will at times come loose while fishing....open hood types. Many don't cinch down on them because they don't want to scratch the reel feet from the hood...they simply make it firm....but 2 hours later that reel will sometimes start loosening. In the end everything is your fault. Check your reel seat, check your ferrules, check your knots, etc..... funny sh*t happens when you fish/camp/hike!

16. .....

Blake Harmon likes this.
  17. Exactly! ...seen it happen before. So whatever to you and what you think, believe, don't believe, etc.

18. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.