Nobody hunting yet?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Just asking

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Hunting what, Daryle? I've bagged grouse, but no deer yet. Jason, on the other hand, got one opening weekend!

3. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    I bagged a doe on hwy 530 with my Rav4 a couple weeks ago! It was not pretty.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Good to know, been quiet here lately, recurve or longbow Alex?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I got doe blocked by a black bear. Bear spooked the doe just before she walked into a nice shooting lane. Never saw the bear, doe bolted quick at the sound of the huffing.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Bearcos are better than deercos anyday best are elkcos ;)

7. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I shot some doves and also shot AT some doves.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

One grouse in four days, not good.
    As for seeing deer, damn few and those were all in the farm land behind the "No,No signs.

9. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    We did doves on Saturday and got a few each. Sunday we went North and tried to find the grouse. Flushed a few but the thick trees kept us from pulling the trigger on most. we were out there for 5 hours or so and my buddy got one. Was nice to get Otto into both open game birds as I wasn't able to get out for the opener.
    [​IMG]

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Glad I stirred the pot ;)

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    My nieces Husband in TX loves doves Barby on the grill with a Jalapena pepper inside said body

12. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

I've been chasing elk with my bow for the past week . I've had some close encounters but hunting solo for the most part has been tough and the elk aren't talking yet .

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    A doe with two fawns were in the yard Sunday. Otherwise hadn't seen any deer for nearly two weeks. With so many deer around my place, there has to be a few bucks, but I've only ever seen one forkhorn and a three-point. There's a little spike that's about a year-and-a-half old now, but now he's making himself scarce too. They have some amazing instincts in this regard.

Sg

14. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Daryle, I'm taking the Toelke Whip longbow. Not that it improves any chance of seeing a deer, though. We just got back from Twisp last week for the Two Fly, and I'm back up tomorrow am. I've seen only ONE fresh track: no fresh poop, no browsed forbs... Nada, nothing, zippo!! It's like the country doesn't have any deer at all!!

15. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Was in the North Bend area yesterday and combined an afternoon of bear hunting with elk scouting. Called in one bear, saw no elk sign. The number of deer vs last year appears to be waaay up. Of course they will vanish by the time muzzleoader season rolls around....

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Today was the first day for the "old timers" pheasant season. Took Cassie; my young (17 mos.) yellow lab female on her first pheasant hunt at one of the release sites. While she had tagged along on some duck and goose hunting last season (mostly jump shooting) or on a lead while others shot ducks over decoys this was her first experience chasing upland birds. She had demonstrated a great nose, is very athletic, and willingness to take on almost any challenge.

In spite of some puppy issues thought she did well. We had no more gotten into the field and she took off to join the nearest hunting party for what she thought be play time with other dogs. Fortunately the hunter was very understanding and once got her back under control moved to an area that didn't seem to have other hunters. Cassie got down to business and she seemed to be able to use a nice breeze to her advantage. In a little less than 2 hours she found 7 birds (6 or which flushed inside of easy gun range). One of the flushes was towards another hunter, one was behind a big tree, two were next to a 7 wire fence and would have likely fallen on the wrong side of the fence and did not want her to deal with that. The other two were nice easy shots (though it took both barrels to get the first) for a limit. She marked the birds well and went directly to them though was hesitant to bring them to hand.

In spite of the puppy issues and some obvious things to work on I was ecstatic with her work. She seemed to catch the birds scent 20 so yards down wind and would go directly to the bird with nose up in the air. Of the bird held would stop and stare at it (have to encourage that!) for a moment. It was less than ideal conditions for tracking birds but she stayed with a couple birds and eventually found them. I was able to watch a rooster running away from her; I stayed behind her to let her work things out and after 5 minutes or so she successfully flushed the bird.

With some luck I may have a bird dog on my hands and expect as she gains more experience she may become a bird finding machine.

Curt

17. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    The one weekend a year I wish I was a helluva lot older! well done, Glad your dog did well!

18. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Round two -
    Without the rain showers and the radar showing some sun returned to a release site hoping to find drier conditions and see if Cassie could find another bird and work on her tracking skills.

Once again she preformed above expectations. Managed to flush three birds tracking down the birds easily; two were in easy gun range and somehow I managed to down both with nice clean shots. The first landed in a blackberry thicket and it took a bit for her to find the bird (fortunately it was dead). She did a very nice job on the second bird which had landed in the water with 30 feet of thick weeds that Cassie had to negotiate coming and going.

With less than 4 hours under her belt I can watch her confidence grow. Without undue amount of direction she is consistently working within 25/30 years of me ranging nicely from side to side as well as out in front. She had trouble with a couple potential other birds that got into large patches of thick stuff. She was more than willing to tackle the brush but just could not push them to the flush. However she worked hard and had the bloody blackberry scratches to prove here effort. Doubt it will be long before her tracking skills are such that even those thick patches will not be a safe refuge for pheasants.

The early training and off season work is paying off; that with her natural abilities and a little more experience I suspect that I will soon have a very serviceable upland dog as well as a waterfowl partner. The next 4 months are going to be fun!!!

Curt

ganglyangler likes this.
  19. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Sounds like you have a keeper ;)

20. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'll make my inaugural debut into the "old guys season" on Thursday. Hank has been quite insistent (I left the regs on the end table & I think he read them, smart little bugger.).