Non blue collar spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Dec 12, 2011.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Took out my new baby...I am not able to describe the feel other then butter..

I had no idea what distance these rods cast..and to be honest, that was the last of my concerns with it..but it cast out a 510 nextcast W.A. 45' head with type 3 delta tip and a barbell headed 25 wadd. to a hundred feet with ease...I didn't try and go past that as that was too far for where I was all day anyways...but just wanted to see what it could do easily...

So on that regard it was pretty amazing...the feel is all together another story and that was even more so....very cool rod...very cool feel...some kind of strange attachment when fishing it that I can't describe other then....somehow this is what it's all about? It just made me smile all day long..and while the fishing wasn't to hot..the tug of a smaller 2-3 pound bully was fun and you feel like anything that you touch is never going to get off...

Oh...it's a Bob Clay 13' 7wt bamboo spey...

For your viewing pleasure...

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    God that's hot! I can barely look.

3. North 40 Fly Shop

North 40 Fly Shop Member

Media:
    Great Falls, MT & Ponderay, ID & Omak, Wa
    Home Page:
    That is some next level stuff there golfman....

4. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    savory goodness.

5. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I'm gonna get on the list. Could you explain the flex of the rod? Does it feel insanely soft?

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Congrats Golfman! Tell us more about it.

Sg

7. fly dds

fly dds Tooth and Tail

Does your significant other know that your mortgage payment went towards a Spey rod? Awesome!!!!!!

8. SpeySpaz

Media:
    probably has an action similar to your Spey Tracker, _G
    I too, want to hear more. Clay's rods are like treasure chips.

9. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Yeah, I hear ya. I cast one years ago @ the Marlow's Clave on the grass, then a 'new' model 11.5' 6wt last year at the Sandy Clave. The experience is unlike anything I've experienced with graphite rods. Every time I touch one I get closer to ordering.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Actually, I'd like to know what a "treasure chip" is.

11. T Dave

T Dave Member

Hey Golfy, sweet stick! Should I start saving for it now?:rofl:

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I don't know how to describe it? you tape it up and think..Oh baby this is a soft rod...but there is power there...My bud described it pretty well as.."It flexs deep like a Meiser but there is no thwack"

I have never cast the older boo rods and am told that these are faster and much more like modern rods..I found that if I went slow it didn't work...When I went back to my normal speed in turn and load..It delivered...The delivery is the really hard part to descibe...It just happens...If you go too fast it will make a swishing sound with your line...to slow and it kind of slops it out there...a normal smooth cast and stop and it pretty much lasers the sucker out there...

I was messing around with some casts and found that when I did a poke I needed to really hold it back or it would poke the whole line out...which is kind of what the rod does...let it do the work and it will do it very well...

I thought it would be a day of switching lines and some struggle to find the flow so to speak but I ended up fishing the nextcast all day as it fit it well and I like fishing that line...I'm not completley dialed in but was amazed at how quick it came..the more I backed off the better it did, which can be a fine line...
    One thing I really liked and kind of blew me away was, with maybe ten feet of running line out which gives you incredable line control on a 45' head..I was against a bank and did a more scandi type cocktail glass turn instead of dropping the rod tip to the water and lifting on an upward angle...This picked up the line quicker and with just a little flick of a cast threw the line like a dart...very tight and very easy...It was bad ass..

My problem is when I get a new rod I always want to see what it's got under the hood and screw around seeing how far it will go...I turned if off at 12 large strips..would say that's my usual 100' mark...I didn't get this rod to be a distance poser on the rivers anymore...Guys like Dave T showed me that, thought it took a couple years to get through...there was plenty more there but IMHO I think it would suck to take a rod like this and just bomb it all day...But that's just MHO and you can take it or leave it for what it's worth...I know Bob's daughter won spey o rama with a 15' model..but god she must be a strong woman...

The beauty of this rod besides how it looks is the feel...you feel everything..the drag on your fly if it gets too much current..bumps and taps through the swing...the fact that I don't have to freak out if it's below freezing and I sting it...the feel of the boo on your fingers as the fly swings...Romantic I'm sure...but I just had this big shit eating grin all day...Kind of like talking to the spirits in a corny kind of way....

Maybe I'm just becoming a goofy fuck...I don't know?

13. SpeySpaz

Media:
    sounds like a religious experience. feel my envy, dude
    great description

14. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Thanks a lot.

15. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    She's beautiful.

16. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Yeah, to say that I am jealous is an incredible understatement. If only I had that kind of disposable skrilla......

17. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Very very cool. It sounds from your description like a typical single-hand cane (or glass) rod experience. You wiggle the thing and it feels like there is no power, but if you're a competent caster, you slow down your cast on the water and the power is there.

18. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    I really shouldn't be reading this thread...I don't post much...but this thread deserves a meaningless comment from me.

What can I give up to own a Clay...
    Adrian

19. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

Media:
    Thx pauli...
    For giving us blue color folks hope......

BTW.. you should retitled to" a dream for the blue color folks"

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Never read a 'review' on this rod where the owner/caster didn't give same a "rave review."