NooB needs Spey advice

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by gearhead, Jul 16, 2005.

1. O.K. i am going to make a real attempt to leave my gearhead ways for steelhead. been flyfishing a while for trout,but i'm loading for bear this year and jumping in with both feet. I've decided to get a spey rod. i love to fish the Snake and Clearwater, and September is fast approaching. i am probably going to get a Temple Fork Outfitter 14 ft 9wt. My question(s) is this: i have read alot (mostly from this sites history) about AirFlow Delta Long line. seems i have to choose between a floating 7/8 or a 10/11. the obviouse seems to be the 10/11 weight. am i right??? and do i want a floating line??? looking at Cabela's they only offer the floating. just wondering aloud. Thanks!

2. A floating line for September on the Clearwater and Snake? No doubt!

Leland.

3. GH,

A floater is all you need to fish those rivers in the fall. But I would recommend the 8/9 or the 9/10. Rio lists both of those lines for their midspey series which corresponds to the Delta Longs. 8/9 for a quicker, crisper action. 9/10 for a deeper load on the rod. Contact Mike at the Redshed as he carry's both TFO and those lines. He also let's people try before you buy with his demo's. Can't beat that.

William

4. Thanks Inland....

i'm still abit confused, i have my 9ft rigged with a moderate sinking line, i have two friends that both use a moderate sinking line, and they both do very well on the Snake and the Clearwater. i thought that was the general rule. if i'm fishing a floating line, how do i get my fly down to fish holding in
    4 to 6 feet of water? this gearhead needs help, lol.. in the past i just put a leadheaded fly under a 25cent bobber and had 12 fish days. not sure if i'm doing the right thing coming over to the Dark side, i also feel i am supporting the economy all by my lonesome buying all this stuff, lol.. Thanks again!

5. Why don't you give a shot at grease-lining sparse low water flies and swinging wakers? Steelhead in the Snake and Clearwater in September and October will move aggressively to the fly. Who knows, you may like it and give up lead altogether.

Leland.

6. GH,

As Halcyon suggested you might want to check out either the Delta 'short' or Rio windcutter lines. Both have approx. 55' heads and usually are a bit easier to learn with.

The beauty of those fisheries is the fish move to the fly. You can fish the fly right on/in or barely below the surface and catch your share of fish.

I would suggest reading up on some steelhead flyfishing tactics. Trey Combs 'Steelhead Flyfishing' that was released in the early 90's is a fabulous resource. Or if you can find them, Scientific Angler's Steelhead fishing videos 1 and 2 that feature Lani Waller. That would quickly get you tuned into the game.

Good luck!

William

7. Gearhead,

Another important point you need to be aware of is that the rated line wt. for a spey rod and the rated line wt. of a spey line mean practically nothing in relationship to one another.
    What you need to do is find out how many grains of weight in the head (the portion of line you will actually form the D-loop with) is required to properly load your particular spey rod.
    Spey rods do not have a standard wt rating system. Until last year neither did spey lines. And even with the new spey line rating system there are different grain wts for the same line wt depending on whether the line is a short head, mid-head, or long head line.
    In addition, a beginning spey caster generally requires a heavier (more grains of wt. in the head portion) line than a more experienced caster. As an example, I own a Winston Boron IIx 14ft 8/9 wt. spey rod that Rio rates for a short head (belly) line like the Windcutter having 550 grains of wt. This is wonderful for a caster like Simon Gawesworth, Steve Choate or Way Yin but way under weight for a much much less accomplished caster such as myself. For the rod to work for me I need 650 grains of wt. and then the rod comes alive and I can cast a country mile. At $75 to $200 per line this kind of learning can be very costly if you don't try the line and rod combinations before you plunk down your hard earned cash.
    Bottom line is to take your rod to a shop that has a bunch of different wt. lines of the type you wish to purchase and cast them until you find one that allows you to cast well without feeling like you are working. Fortunately for you there is an outstanding spey fly shop in Carnation WA. (fine print - I am in no way connected with said fly shop nor do I have any interest of any kind in same).

Regards,