Nor Vice

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

....is it worth it? Likes? Dislikes?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Worth it? Yes.
    Likes? Super smooth spinning rotary. Jaw options, including tube mandrels. Great company to deal with and as upgrades happen that you want the customer service is top notch. All of the add on features that I have just make sense and work perfectly with the vise.
    Dislikes? None. Okay, it does not make a great travel vise when set up on the mounting board, but you can mount it on smaller heavy blocks and make it more portable or do the bulk of your tying at home and travel with whatever you are using now. I have a travel vise, so I'm going back to dislikes? None.

3. Whit

Whit 19D

Media:
    The toughest thing I have found with my nor-vise is trying to tie small flies without the fine point conversion kit. Other than that, I really enjoy using it and I have barely begun to do some of the things that it is capable of.

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

5. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Agreed. Nor-vise rocks. You will the midge jaws very useful for some patterns.

6. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Media:
    Great vise fun to tie with.

One dislike, I wish that there was a better material holder with it

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I love my Nor-Vise. Went straight from a loaner vise to a Nor-Vise and do not expect to spend any more money on other vises.

I did order the Midge jaw from Randy Diefert, WFF.Com member, and tis is a great addition. Randy sells Nor-Vises with the midge jaw already on, you do not get the in-line jaw. This is something to consider.

I have not figured out how you are to use the matwerial holder with the midge jaw on. I stuff materials between the two jaw parts and that works OK.

Good luck Chef!

8. Chef

Chef New Member

Jeff:

Was it the same price as buying through Norm?

9. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Media:
    It dubs like no other, that's what sold me on it!

10. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Chef
    I think the price is the same but I will have to do some looking tomorrow when I am at home.
    Jeff

11. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    What's wrong with the vice you have?

12. Chef

Chef New Member

Nothing is wrong with it. Lol! :)

13. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
  14. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Mumbles summed it up nicely, killer vise-

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chef, despite my appreciation for my Nor Vise, if your current vise is fine...

Unless you can pinpoint what your vise does NOT do that you NEED it to do...

It is winter, get a set of boot foot waders, insulated ones, so you can fish comfortably and not freeze your ass (or toes) off. Then when you have that piece of essential comfort gear, get the whamma dang vise. I love my Nor Vise, but comfort and lower extremity safety comes first.

16. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I call dibs if you sell your old one...

17. straycrow

straycrow New Member

Do people really use it like it is intended?

I watched the video on the Nor-Vise website of a guy tying a green butted skunk, and my impression was there was little if any improvement in speed or ease, over a standard (nonrotating) vise.

Until my vise wore out recently, I hadn't thought about it much. Now I am trying to be open minded and consider it... Tough being old and set in my ways.

18. Chef

Chef New Member

stray: I saw mumbles use it over at Big E's house and it moved great.

19. FT

FT Active Member

The Norvise is one of the best vises on the market currently, and deservedly so.

However, it is a vice that folks either love or hate with little or no in-between. Those that love it, like the folks who have chimed in here about how much they like it, would not give it up for anything. But remember what I said about folks either loving or hating it because those like myself who don't like it would never get one or if we had, we got rid of it quickly.

Those who don't like it find the "free-wheeling clutch mechanism" to be a pain because if you happen to have your hand on the counterweight to hold some material in place in order to make it do what you want it to do, it is far too easy to also move it back the little bit it takes to release the lock and put it into "free-wheeling" mode. Plus, although I use my Dyna King Barracuda at times as a true rotary vise, I mostly use the rotary function of my vise to rotate the jaws into a better position for tying something onto a fly rather than using it to spin the hook. The Norvise doesn't allow for keeping the jaw stationary at any position while leaving both hands free to make a material do what you what. You have to have your hand on the counterweight to keep the jaw from moving when the lock is off and the jaw is not at one of the detent that lock it. These are the reasons I don't like it.

Those who love it absolutely love the "free-wheeling" ability of the the vise and wouldn't be without it. And most of them don't understand whey folks like me don't like it.

As I said, people either love it or hate it. Therefore, the best thing you can do is try tying on it for an hour or so to see if you really, really like it because if you don't, you will end up being unhappy with having bought the vise.

20. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    "The Norvise doesn't allow for keeping the jaw stationary at any position while leaving both hands free to make a material do what you what."

FT, if you look at the top of the vise in the middle, there is a large friction screw. If you don't want the vise to be in "free-wheeling" mode, you simply tighten the friction screw. Then you can put the fly in any position you want with as little or as much resistance to turning as you please. Quite simple and quite effective.