NOR-VISE

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Uno, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Uno

Uno Member

Hello All,

What are your experiences with the NOR-VISE?

Thanks,
    Uno

2. C O D Y

C O D Y Oh, this is so good it just HAS to be fattening.

Very well thought out design. I kept hearing "it will take some getting use to" before I used one... wasn't the case for me. I would rate it as one of the best vises on the market today.

3. Joe Fitzpatrick

Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Media:
    I love my Nor-Vise. Norm makes an excellent product and his customer service is bar none. I've tied with many vises and once I got the Nor-Vise in my hands, I'll never go back. Because of this vise is the reason I'm a Pro-Staff for Norm. If you have a friend who has one, try it out and see if you like it. It think the main reason for the high learning curve that everyone mentions, is because of the automatic bobbin. It's also a great product, but you can surely tie with regular bobbins like me.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    iagree

5. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Me too. I have a Regal, a Matarelli Traveler (is that what htey call it)
    the Cabela's Rotary, a hand forged vise made from needle nosed pliers
    and the NOR. I like them all (Cabela's the least). But I like the Nor
    the best. It's my main vice....after tobacco and whiskey anyway.

The Nor comes with a cdrom demonstrating all kinds of high-speed
    whoopdedoo body things you can do...all of which I seldom even attempt.
    But it's still worth it. The Cabela's rotary is so hard to turn and then to
    fix I end up using it as a stationary vise, if at all. What's good (for me)
    about the Nor vise is how easy is it to turn or spin when I want,
    and how quick and easy it is to fix right-side up, upside-down or sideways when
    I want that.

My only complaint is that it (the whole thing) tends to rotate horizontally
    around the vertical spindle it mounts on. It has a way to tighten a
    thumb screw, in order to fix horizontal rotation position....but that
    particular screw keeps getting loose at just the wrong time.

Still, I wouldn't give it up. I love the the super-accurate way I can
    wind any body material with the Nor. And hackles too. I just don't
    try to do it fast, not the way it's often advertized.

6. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    And now from the peanut gallery:
    I purchased one and the automatic bobbin and returned them. I found it to be completely wrong for me. Nor products are nicely made and Norm is a great guy and provides wonderful customer service. But I found it to be one of those "love/hate" type of products. Definitely a product I would suggest you try tying on a bit before you buy.

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I am new at tying and when I decided to replace my "Kit" vise I purhcased the Nor Vise. I had seen other students using them in my class. I didn't find any learning curve, but the vise and bobbin work well together and allow for easy dubbing - that is if I'm doing it correctly... We didnt' learn that in class, just watched Norm do it on the DVD the vise came with.

8. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    Ah, the bobbin. I agree about that. I paid for the damn bobbin and never could
    make it work. Don't want it or need it.

I've heard your reaction too, several times. So there there's no telling.
    Sometimes you just have to take a chance
    in life, and see what happens.............
    :))

9. FT

FT Active Member

They are an excellent and very well-made vise; but like Halcyon, I don't like them and have found that folks either love 'em or hate 'em. I recommend you try one before buying.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I had been using a Danvise in both my desk and travel kits. I finally broke down and got a Nor-vise, full setup from a friend and member here. Right out of the box it was hands down the coolest tool and best upgrade to my shop ever. I was able to work with it right out of the box and I think my flies are still getting better at time goes on. Dubbing with synthetics takes a bit more practice as you are not using a loop, but you still could if you prefer too. Awesome investment, at least it was for me.

11. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

I've switched almost all of my rotary tying vises in my shop that I use for classes out for the Norvise system. Simply said, Norm stands behind everything that he sells 100%. I now have 8 "lesson Vises in the shop which I've retrofitted with the midge jaw setup and newly designed 2 piece bent-arm assembly. I really like this setup because now I can tye a greater amount of hook sizes with the smaller jaws and keep things true rotary and balanced perfectly. coupled with the heavier drive arbor and you can't beat this vise for smoothness. Norm has also reworked that thumbscrew drag system that you talk about and that is available on all new vises in '09. I own several high end vises from other companies but, this vice is my favorite. I will agree that it is not a "do-all" vise as no vise is. It has it's great points though and I'd also agree that most of the "learning Curve" has to do with the auto bobbin. Once you get onto that though, you won't go back. I feel that it's indespensable when tying rotary and it's concept is exceptional!

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I had one for a while and I used to tie up woven flies. It is a great tool for making tapered bodies.. By spinning the spindle,it is easier to lay on thread instead of winding it by hand. But I ended up giving it back as my tying started to suck.

Jim

13. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I have used the Nor-Vice and bobbins for many years. I'm on my third vice (still have the other two, just upgrade as Norm comes out with newer models) and wouldn't tie any other way. I also use his tube vice attachment system and it's just as good. I just had a custom desk built and it has a Nor-Vice station that fits on a fold out drawer. The Nor-vice is a great system and customer service is awesome. There is a learning cure that can take some time. Alot of folks quit before they actually figure out how to use it but if you stick it out, it gives you some pretty cool options on both speed, techniques and fly creativity. Tight lines Coach

Can I call him "Norm" Halycon, or is that name dropping? I followed your lead on this one.

Attached Files:

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

I agree with all the Nor-vise fans. Switched from a Renzetti (still in possesion) a couple of years back. Still tie some flies on it and a Danvise, but the Nor-vise is the "main squeeze". Have the latest and greatest from Norm with all the attachments. Norm's service is impeccable. Don't quite understand the "learning curve" claims other than it's just diffferent to tie on. Love the bobbins except re-threading them is a pain in the butt when you break the thread. That rarely occurs anymore after using them for a while.

15. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:

Coach,
    You can call Norm, or anyone else, anything you please. I believe you have me confused with another peanut gallery denizen:D

16. Uno

Uno Member

Thanks Guys,

I am going to give the Nor-Vise a try.

Uno

17. Coach Duff

Media:
    I could have sworn it was a complete dickhead with your handle Halycon that decided to be an asshole on a Walt Johnson based post. Accused me of being a name dropper and took the conversation away from Walt, which was the real crime. Walt was a gem. Typical "my blow up doll doesn't do it for me anymore so I'll start up some shit I'd be scared to finish offline" post from another computer jockey. I'm used to those kind of attacks. But if that isn't you, my mistake, apologies and tight lines I had you confused with someone else! If it was you, go fuck yourself. Coach

18. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I got one for christmas its pretty much awesome I think if I ever have money again I'm gonna get the tube fly attachment, and a few more bobbins...

19. Coach Duff

Media:
    Halycon, I insinuated that you were someone else and for that I apologize. Duff

20. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Looks like another pissing match folks.