Nor-Vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Krusty, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    At the risk of sounding like a shill, I can't speak highly enough about the system. After 50+ years of tying I made the transition to the Nor-Vise with very little difficulty (despite warnings from websites and local flyshops about having to totally 'relearn' fly tying). It simply does very well, over a life-time of tying, what I very often wished my vises (and bobbins) were able to do.
  2. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Very good. Glad the transition went well for you.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    I am not really in the market for a new vise and I do not own a rotary vise, but I have looked at the video and watched Norm tie.
    My question is do they sell them? I have not seen them advertised on line. Are they available?
    I would like to look at one.
  4. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +201 / 1
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks Mark. I have seen the web site. I was wondering if anybody carries them in inventory so I could look at it. Probably not.
  6. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +259 / 0
    Absolutely love mine, I bought it off a poster here and it has been a dream. You can use it in "trad" mode or get all rotary on yourself. It does have a bit of a steep $$ curve but it is bombproof and hella versatile.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for the info.
  8. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    I bought mine direct. Norm is over in Kelso....he builds them right there. i hear he' enjoys visitors...or wait until there's a flyfishing convention.

Very good service...really high quality stuff...made right here in the PNW. His instructional vids (some available on line) are excellent. Just a real class act by a real gentleman.
  9. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I highly recommend this vise! really a wonderful tool!!
  10. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I love my Nor-Vise too. I don't use it to the full rotary capacity, but occasionally I attempt some of the rotary tricks. Dubbing on the Nor Vise is a breeze not to mention how nicely you can lay down a rib or any other body or hackle.

I just bought this vise as my first vise. Figured I do it right for once rather than buy the Mongoose I was looking at and then a year later buy Norm's vise.
  11. NCL Member

Northern California
    Ratings: +19 / 2
    I second that Norm is a class act and very easy to talk to. The Nor-Vise is exceptional piece of equipment. There is a learning curve but Norm has several video's available which helps with the use of the vise.
  12. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I have a Nor vise and like it a lot. I have a Regal and like it a lot too. Each one has its strong points and contrasting capabilities. Now there is a rotary Regal to covet. I may have to buy one. I would too. If it wasn't so damned expensive.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    I don't know anyone who owns a Nor-Vise that doesn't like them. At one time, I thought about buying one but I have too many vises (in more ways than one) as it is. Some people collect rods. Some people collect reels. Somehow, I ended up collecting vises. If my Dyna-King Barracudas (standard and Jr) didn't do everything I need in a vise, I'd look into a Nor-Vise.
  14. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    GAT. Do you use an auto bobbin like the bobbin Norm Norlander sells?
    I could see collecting these they are so cool.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    Jeff, nope. The bobbin is a little too large for my use. This year, I replaced my spring arm bobbins to Stonfo Disc drag bobbins. They are not self retracting but the disc drag allows you to adjust the tension of the tying thread. The spring arm bobbins eventually loose their tension and the danged bobbin ends up dropping instead of staying in place. The disc drag takes care of that problem. They include a knob just like a disc drag reel so adjustment is easy. They're made in Italy and are not cheap but I don't imagine I'll need to ever buy another style of bobbin.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  16. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I bought one from a poster here and I have yet to really get into it. I am dusting it off as we speak and I am setting up a station to begin tying. No bad habits for me to break since I have never tied flies to begin with. I am looking for a desk or table. Does anyone have any ideas about that?
  17. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +259 / 0
    I made a portable tying station for it, alot easier if you don't have a dedicated space or are on the road. Nor-Vise sells its own board but I wanted more options and and aesthetic touch :)

Attached Files:

18. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Very Nice
  19. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    I wish I had one I just got a cheap 10 dollar special. Oh well I make due with it one day ill get a norvise
  20. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Keep looking on the site here. I found one that someone was selling at a reasonable price and hardly used. I even got supplies with it. I have tied a few but I want to now get really into it so looking for a tying desk.