North Bend Report, Steelies:0, Trout:many

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Holmes, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. David Holmes

    David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

    My conscience is making me post this report.

    Steelheading on the Snoqualmie -- Three of us tried for a few hours the other morning using GB skunks, purple perils and WBs at plums landing and at the Tokul creek rocks. One strike/lostfly between the three of us. If they are in there we didn't see them. Brent Comer had his fancy Spey Rod. I had dusted off my 9' Fenwick 8wt was trying out a new Type VI sinktip line -- man, that line is HEAVY. Its like flinging a metal chain.

    Rattlesnake -- Fished it in the morning from 7-11 about 10 days ago with a couple of friends before work. I caught 6, lost 8. Most were 10-12" and taken on Carey Special or Wooley bugger in the stumps just off the boat launch. The weather started out cold and overcast, but by 9:30 or so the sun came out and the bite really got going. We saw a big Trip guarding a stump and I think I hooked him with a chromie -- or maybe it was the stump because when I set up I lost the fly. I got his friend who was 13". I could have stayed there all day, fishing in shortsleeves & sunglasses but, gotta make a living.

    Tree Farm -- Now that I live in Snoq. Ridge I'm fishing the Tree farm a lot. I've been focusing on the two large alpine lakes up there because usually at this time of year the fish go quiet on the lower lakes, though I bet that's not the case this year. Anyway, its still pretty easy to have 20-30 fish days up there.

    Here's a sample of one of my fishing recent fishing diary entries.

    I fished Lake H**cock this morning for the first time in a couple of years. It was a good morning: I did the "Tree Farm Trifecta" catching Rainbows (3), Cutts (14) and Brook Trout (2) for a total of 19 fish over about 5 hours.

    I got on the water about 7am and it was quite cold. I was fishing in actual clouds that were moving through -- visibility was about 75 feet. I circumnavigated the lake, starting away from the houses and only picked up a fish here or there until I got to the far end (the East end?) of the lake. I got into the most fish in the corner of the lake beyond the houses. In between two clouds, the air was mostly still and the fish were happy and I caught about 10 in a half an hour. It was fun fishing because all three types were biting. You could tell you had a brook trout on as soon as you could see it - in H**cock their entire body has a reddish hue.

    Most fish were taken on (of course) my carey special about 5' down (on a type IV line), though some were had on a wooley bugger and one rainbow liked a big green buggy thing I got at the Worley Bugger. I think it was a damsel nymph.

    The cutts were smallish, mostly 6-10", but the 2 brook trout were 10", fat and fought like hell. The 3 rainbows were eatin-size.

    It felt great to send twenty+ fish back to the depths with sore lips. :)

    Only one other boat on the water - a rowboat came in just before I left and the weather was clearing up but the bite had stopped.

Share This Page