North Cascade HWY camping?? suggestions?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Dan Reynolds, May 9, 2004.

1. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Anyone have any suggestions? Let me say first that this is the first time officially "camping" with the wife and kids together. We are heading over to spectacle lake next weekend and want to camp some place along the way on sunday night on the way back.

Last year, we saw Diablo Lk and the campground there...it was a bit chilly there in May. We really liked Winthrop/Twist area and did go for an excursion North of Winthrop up the Chewuch river, that was really nice.

We're not looking for KOA stuff, a campground would be ok if it wasn't too KOA'ish. Also very open to camping off the beaten path, I have a Jeep so we can go about anywhere.

I'm not too worried about fishing on the way back, we're just going to get some r&r. Camping near water would be a bonus though...nothing better than the sound of running water while you sleep!

Thanks

you can also email me at dan.reynolds@AlaskaAir.com
  2. Flip The dumb kid

Lk Stevens WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hmm. it seems to me, that washington pass has quite a few "out of the way" camping spots, including a small river of sorts. the big campground to the east of washington pass has a great bike/hiking trail that follows a river for about 10 miles, and there are fish in the river. dont know what, but we saw some spawning a couple years ago. looked like cutts and brook. there is a few spots to the east of the pass, but the names escape me
  3. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    Just outside of winthrop there is a real nice campground at Big Twin Lake.

LT
  4. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    I looked on the web, that looks like a bit busy for my liking...more looking for smaller, quiet camping.

I usually avoid places where people bring RV's, boom boxes etc.

:dunno
  5. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    I doubt it is very busy with the lake being so far down.
    LT
  6. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I went on a little solo venture into the North Cascaades and then on to Winthrop this past August. I would assume things will be very different at this time of year though. I camped at the campground on Diablo. It was nice. They have some camp sites that you park and then walk up into the woods a ways. You get pretty far from everyone actually. I caught a fish out of the lake too believe it or not. I think it was a trout, can't remember. I have a ton of pictures (100 or so) of hikes and mountains and what not up that way if you're interested in hiking.
  7. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Last year, May...we went by that campground and drove through it. It was virtually empty, the weather was awfully chilly, probabably why it was empty.

Here's a funny one for you:
    My 6yo daughter thinks she needs a pad under her sleeping bag for camping out. She has one of those kid bags with integrated air mattress...it's like 4" thick! Geez, "now when I was a kid..."
  8. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    There are more US Forest Service campgrounds along Hwy. 20 than I can list. Early Winters Campground is near Mazama, where EW Creek goes from forest to open pasture terrain (trouty from there on downstream). There are many f.s. camps along the upper Chewuch River, four or five up the Twisp River, including one uphill at Blackpine Lake. I've also stayed overnight at an obscure f.s. camp on Gold Creek, west of Carlton. And Leader Lake, between Loup Loup Pass an Okanogan, is an attractive setting on a stocked lake.
  9. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Damn Nooksack, you beat me to it- Early winters would be my suggestion also as it has close access to alot but just enough out of the way from everything. great little creek also!

"Dont let your dreams be dreams" -Jack Johnson
  10. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    EW might be a bit high, for May with two little kids. I'm lookin at the map now, and Falls Cr. falls looks inviting. It's 11 mi up Chewuch, N of Winthrop.

Anyone been there?