North End of Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chironomadness, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Chironomadness

Chironomadness Member

Fished the north end early this week and was surprised with the amount and size of fish. Attached a picture of a hefty one caught on my favorite fly :)

2. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Cool, I had a buddy fish the north end on Tues and he only got one, but he may not have known what he was doing. Any spunk in them this early?

3. Chironomadness

Chironomadness Member

The larger ones gave a bit of a fish, but nothing to jump up and down about. The number of fish I caught is what surprised me in a four hour period. I stopped counting after 50.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice report. I can't count to fifty.

5. Mike Ediger

Media:
    They never have been known for their energy in my experience. But if they are in the north end and feeding, that will happen! Not usually to me, generally to the guy next to me using the same fly at the same depth, but it does happen none the less. And I have been known to count to fifty, but that is generally when I count by fives.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
  7. 50 in 4 hours is 12.5 per hour and 4.8 per minute. It would take about 30-45 seconds to land and release each fish, and 20 seconds to re-cast. So... you're saying it was a fish every 4 minutes? I guess its possible, without a break for 4 hours. I think my arm would be ready to fall off with 150 casts, that is two backcasts and one final cast. Good job! Those fish are in serious spawn mode.

8. Chironomadness

Chironomadness Member

I must say your math is quite off. It takes about 30 seconds to land and release a Lenore Fish. I would say 2 seconds to cast again and less than 20 seconds for the next strike. My downfall is my compulsive behavior so I fished for 4 hours as if competing in some contest.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Trust me Lab, it is more than possible at Lenore to crank out those numbers with those fish. They are freakishly schooly and if you are on that school your fly sometimes does not have time to reach the bottom. Your indicator lands and goes under all in one nice little motion.

ChiroMadness, I believe you and when you are on them it can just be plain stupid and silly. The funny thing is I've been there when I've done the same thing and watched other guys fish all day and not land a thing.

More on a separate post.

Ira.

10. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

it is easy to catch those numbers, its like fishing in a kiddy pool, only morer expensive. i tried it twice, but never again, just too easy and too crowded. a nice break stop when passing by to have a look though.

11. I've never fished it... so I guess I don't know, but sounded outrageous. I guess I'll have to find out for myself someday...

12. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

I'm not all that good and when Lenice is being easy to fish, I can easily pull one out within every ten minute period. One every 4-5 minutes seems completely reasonable to me.

13. Im going to head out tomorrow... if anyone wants to carpool. I have room in my rig for someone and their boat. Split gas and you buy me lunch and we'll call it good. PM me if interested.

14. Redcat22

Redcat22 Born to fish forced to work!

Okay well i have to ask are you guys talking about the north end of lake Washington?

15. Lakebuzzer

Lakebuzzer I like to rip lips,,

Does Lake Lenore have an area where you can launch a small aluminum boat by trailer

16. Mike Ediger

Media:
    Not a zipper-lip, Lenore. If you have ever seen fishing at the North End you will understand why all you have to say is the "North End".

17. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

If ya have ever seen the boat launch at GeneCoulon during a sockey season, that is what the North end of the lake looks like now thru may. the fish are actually herded by a floatilla of pontoon boats and tubes on one side and waders on the other, quite a site to see, i gotta admit.

18. ryankmasuda

ryankmasuda New Member

I'm heading up to Lenice and Lenore at the end of April, any suggestions on flies to take?

19. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Media:
    Chiros in black, red in all sizez 12-18. You could bring a bunch of other colors, but these have been by far my two best. Some snowcones as well.

jarron

20. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Lenore, madness.
    I remember the good ole days when you could not find a place to park or a rock to stand on for 5 miles from the "north end"
    I go fish some where quiet, where I can hear the birds sing, rooster pheasant crow, and the sound of big fish splashing on the end of my line.