North Fork Stilly Condition

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. First time on the stilly willy?

2. Nope...first time at the Whitman road bridge. Some really good runs, but no fish yesterday. Was swinging flies on my switch rod. It's sort of funny that once I went over to two handers, I catch very few fish...hmmm.

3. Dude,

I'd go back to single hand rod then! Just kidding. Sort of. I fish a single hand 4 wt. for cutthroat most of the time. This time of year it's hard to know what you might encounter so a light switch rod is a good tool. I fished my 5wt. switch yesterday.

4. Im going to start bringing my 4 wt switch with my steel rods and fish for src more

5. I do the same thing. Usually start with the spey then change to the switch for the last hour or so.

6. That's just crazy talk! Two hand casting is too much fun...then again so is catching fish I guess. I still break out the single handers on occasion, especially my 6 ft. 3wt. That thing's great for pocket water and six inch fish feel like monsters.

7. I'm just gonna steelhead with my 2wt.

8. Might have to downsize your barrel swivel...

9. I think 7x tippet can turn over hevi beads pretty well

10. 2" of t14

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

11. ...boy, that escalated quickly. i mean that really got out of hand fast.

golfman44 likes this.
  12. I don't own a true spey rod. I've got 11' #5 and #8 wt. switch rods and that's as big as I go.