North of Falcon 2014

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DimeBrite, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    WDFW salmon forecasts for 2014. If the numbers are close to the actual return numbers, then fishing should be good in the saltwater this summer and fall. Only 4 months to the July MA-9 opener. Thanks to those who are representing our fishing interests in the North of Falcon process!

COHO:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2014/coho.pdf
    Puget Sound Total:

2009 417,226
    2010 432,299
    2011 464,908
    2012 440,549
    2013 882,464
    2014 872,848

CHINOOK:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2014/puget_sound_chinook.pdf
    Puget Sound Total:
    2014 282,552

2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Very cool...but could someone explain to me what "North of Falcon" is about? Is that a place? Something else? Purely curious.

J

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Actually, I see that it is the name for the process (and mad props to WDFW for poesy, there).

Looks to be a place name from Oregon. Very interesting.

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Good question. This link will take you to the meeting schedules (there are many).
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/

North of Falcon
    Setting 2014-2015 Salmon Fishing Seasons
    State, federal and tribal fishery managers are currently planning the Northwest's recreational and commercial salmon fisheries. As part of the salmon-season setting process, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has scheduled several public meetings. This series of meetings – involving representatives from federal, state and tribal governments and recreational and commercial fishing industries – is known as the North of Falcon process.
    The North of Falcon planning process coincides with the March and April meetings of the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PMFC), where ocean commercial and sport salmon seasons are set.

5. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

Cape Falcon is how far commercial salmon trollers from Ilwaco can go during one day of fishing and make it back to Ilwaco, therefore for planning purposes that differentiated access for Washington based fisheries.

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I cannot wait!!!!!

Between these silvers and the huge Chinook forecast for the Columbia.... I'm going to be a busy man this summer/fall!

dryflylarry and Jason Rolfe like this.
  7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    don't forget the massive columbia coho run this fall either. that run is the biggest driver of how good the fishing will be at neah bay.

8. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Chris - I think the forecast for the columbia fall king run is even more massive than the coho run and I suspect that king run is also a big driver at Neah. On a trip last summer at Neah, a friend and I had 3 tagged hatchery fish (2 coho and a king all caught on the fly). Ultimately we received letters indicating the coho were from Puget Sound hatcheries and the king was from a columbia trib hatchery. We hooked that king in the straits, so I'm thinking this year should be a good one for targeting kings on the fly out there. Then again, apparently the bulk of those columbia fish are supposed to be wild upriver brights, so maybe they go somewhere else.

9. Chris Bellows

Media:
    no doubt the king fishing should be outstanding depending on where the fish end up feeding, but in my experience all of the lights out fishing years for coho (even when i was absent) have seen large columbia coho runs. there have been rough fishing years with large puget sound runs and small columbia river runs.

doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference but it seems to.

the king run is pretty spectacular though. if chinook fishing is your thing this is the summer to hit it hard.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:

Ive never heard much about targeting kings in the salt on the fly. Id be very interested in learning more about that

11. Chris Bellows

Media:
    Speaking for myself and the few people I have talked to, it is usually bycatch as chinooks are notoriously picky and in many cases the best water for trolling/mooching kings is not where the largest concentrations of coho are going to be. i think some deep water dredging on the offshore banks could offer the best numbers. using larger flies would hopefully allow you to get through the coho. the shallow water fishing bite is usually very dependent on specific tides (that vary from spot to spot). being a long-time gear fisherman (or knowing one that will talk) will help immensely.

this could be the largest king run we may ever see for a long time so this would be a good year to try to intercept some either with the gear rods or if you think swinging for winter steelhead is too easy, on the fly.

12. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Agreed. I think low light, slack tide conditions that allow you to get down with a sinking line fishing along the shore line in relatively shallow water (40- 60 feet) near a drop-off/point is your best shot. I'm looking forward to doing more of that this summer even if it's just for an hour or two when the conditions are right.

13. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

I'll get my 1 mile long gill net ready since I'm 1/256th Lenape.

3xfluorocarbon likes this.