North Sound Beach report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Willie Bodger, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Ha! A report where I get to say I caught fish and they were big enough to bend the rod! OK, it was big enough to bend the rod. Finally met up with Salt Dog and got on the water before first light to see if the bigger fish would be in a little closer that early. In an unplanned effort, we had both the topwater and subsurface covered. Brought to hand this morning in a little under 3 hours was 3-4 cutthroat with one going about 16" and one silver about 4+ lbs that put up a good fight and was a nice way to break in the new reel. All in all, a great morning on the water! Oh, and the silver came on a fly from the saltwater swap (white foam head, pinkish body).

Willie

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    You dah man, Willie, you dah man!
    Silver Salmon on little pink dry fly, dang you one hot fishermon, with plenty mojo, I fish with you next time too, eh? plenty good mojo. :thumb:

Enjoy Lincoln.

3. Allan H

Allan H Member

Way to go Willie!

I'll be going out on the Salt for my first time this weekend. I can only hope to have the same success.

Allan

4. Washington Trout

Washington Trout New Member

This is just a friendly reminder that most "north sound" beaches (Areas 8-1, 8-2, and 9) will remain closed to salmon fishing until Aug 1. They are open for cutthroat, but it is still illegal to "target" coho, chinook, and pinks, and of course illegal to keep any salmon, hatchery or wild, until Aug 1 (in the relevant Areas; Areas 10 and 11 are open now). Of course no one except the individual angler knows his or her true "intent," but we hope you all will let your concience be your guide. And of course it is always a good idea to check the regs and any emergency announcements carefully in the WDFW pamphlet and/or the WDFW website for any particualr regulations applicable to the specific area you intend to fish.

We are not making any insinuations about this thread or any posts herein. We are just trying to provide a heads up with all the talk about beach fishing and the excitement re upcoming salmon fishing. (A couple people here in the office were planning a trip to Whidbey this weekend until we discoverd they were actually wannabe poachers.)

5. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Yes, agreed. It's tough to target cutts and not have silvers in the mix...

6. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    WT, your comment was unnecessary and predictable to provoke over reaction in some.

7. Washington Trout

"We are not making any insinuations about this thread or any posts herein. We are just trying to provide a heads up with all the talk about beach fishing and the excitement re upcoming salmon fishing. (A couple people here in the office were planning a trip to Whidbey this weekend until we discoverd they were actually wannabe poachers.)"

We attempted to be as clear as possible: we are making NO insinuations about the report at issue. We assume the poster is aware of and concientiously follows pertinent regulations. There is nothing in W. Bodger's original post to suggest otherwise. Legitimately targeting cutthroat and incidentally catching and releasing salmon in Marine Areas otherwised closed to salmon fishing is legal and ethical, and in fact the post does not even mention which Marine Area the fish were caught in. But since the post did mention the hooking of a salmon, as a membership-based advocacy organization, we felt a responsibility to inform OTHER READERS (who may not be as cognizent as W. Bodger and Mr. Salt Dog of the regs) that "north sound" beaches are still closed to salmon fishing. We will cop to a purposeful concience-prick (to those other readers) in noting (accurately) that only each one of us knows our own true intent re what we are actually targeting.

We apologize for any misunderstanding, but will stand by our right to use public media to inform anglers about issues important to the protection, recovery, and conservation of Washington's wild-fish resources. To your complaint about WT not responding to previous inquiries, we are not sure if you are referring to the identical post, PM, and email we are responding to here, but your post and PM are both dated less than an hour ago, and we are responding now having just read the email. We apologize for any unreasonable delay, but we do have some other work to do, too. If you are referring to a previous inquiry, we are unaware of it.

In fact we suspect that the hostility in your post may be driven more by a mistrust and misunderstanding of Washington Trout's mission and activities, than by the content of our previous post. If that is the case, we invite you to learn more about WT either by visiting our website, or addressing any future inquiries through this site or by contacting any relevant staff member; contact information is available at www.washingtontrout.org. We will endeavor to reply to all inquiries in as timely a manner as possible.

8. flyflogger

flyflogger Huh? Ok.

9. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Washington Trout,

A few weeks ago I went fishing at the north end of Whidby Island. As we walked down the road to the beach we were passed by a young teenager on a bycycle with a spinning rod. He told us that one of the park rangers told him that two days before someone had caught a 22 inch salmon at that very spot. He fished with worms and caught some bottom fish. Later he ran up the beach to tell me he saw a salmon jump close to shore and that the old couple walking there had seen a salmon too. I believe he thought I should try for them. He asked what time it is several times during the afternoon and when he left he said his dad was to pick him up at the end of the road and he didn't want to be late. When we drove off ourselves he was walking back up the road, we stopped and offered a ride to nearer the beach. He declined because it wasn't far and said his dad was really pissed because he was late (he had a flat tire on the Bicycle which his dad took with him) but at least the old man brought him his buzz bombs and conceded to come back for him again later. I wondered if I should make a CPS report!

A couple of weeks later, at the same place, I asked a park ranger if any one was catching anything and he said the waters there are closed to salmon fishing until August. I said oh, thank you, well, well, I am fishing for src and I release everything anyway. He nodded, as wise men do. I was embarrased because of my failure to know, but certainly not because I was a wanna be poacher.

Now, my sense is that you, or yours, intended to do damage to salmon in a closed area, and that something gracefully interceded. Of course, they could have gone anyway if armed with knowledge of the src and coho habits, and not wanting to keep fish. ( For instance, fishing close to shore). I , myself, when intending to be didactic, find it best to consider my audience to be of the most sophisticated level. That sometimes means I can only describe my own experiences, and that is often helpful, even to people who may be more knowledgable than I.

At any rate, I will consider looking into "Trout" when I'm convinced that their didactics do not undermine their good purposes.

Steve

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    WT, I have no hostility toward you based upon a misunderstanding of "Washington Trout's mission and activities". In fact, until today, I have never heard of you. So, before I replied to your response, I klicked on your hyper link as you hoped all members of this site would do, to learn about your club. It sound like the same old sugar covered stuff, I hope you do a good job at achieving your mission, as it sound like much of it may be consistent with many of my conservation beliefs.

If it was your intent to raise awareness of the fishing regulations, and were not specifically addressing those that had posted to that thread, you would have started a new thread, just on that topic.

11. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    AWESOME report....thanks guys...sometimes unplanned teamwork covers the bases better than mapped-out battle plans eh?

Well, I was fired up to add .02 about incidentally hooking and c'n'r-ing a sea cucumber while fishing for cutties near Alki but I don't want to incur the wrath of Washington Seacucumbers, so I'll leave that nugget alone.... ;)

thanks for the report dudes.......... :thumb:

12. Washington Trout

Please let "me" apologize again for any misunderstanding "my" posts may have caused.

I was making an attempt at the "editorial we" as these posts are on behalf of an organization, not an individual. I'll admit it sounds stupid and I can't blame it for falling so flat. But it is not my intent to get very involved in dialogues, only to provide information about Washington Trout's activities and initiatives, and other information relevant to wild-fish conservation. As your complaint illustrates, it would be too difficult to respond consistently in a timely way. But as I have apparently rubbed some the wrong way, I will try in this case to dig myself out.

The post about Canyon Creek was the text of a press release sent to media outlets as a public service announcement (those outlets expect Press Releases to include at least some information about the sender and its role in the story). The post about the Trailsfest was bald faced promotion.

Washington Trout is a well established conservation organization, widely recognized in the angling, advocacy, and management communities. We have been advocating for better fish and habitat management, conducting research, and restoring streams in Washington since 1989. And in fact WT already has a relationship with the community at wff.com. As most regular posters here know, this past spring members of the wff community helped grade-school students at a school in Issaquah raise over $1300 (I believe, please forgive if it was more) to donate to Washington Trout. When the story was related at our annual fundraising auction, it raised another $10,000 dollars for wild-fish conservation. I'm surprized you missed it; the whole thing was all over the board for weeks. We (and this time I literally mean all of us at WT) feel a particular appreciation for wff, and a responsibility to inform this community about what that money is doing and provide other information it might consider valuable.

Please again let me say I was only trying to provide other readers with information that might have been helpful for them, and might help forestall any uneccesary impacts on the resource. I never meant to imply any wrongdoing or ignorance on anyone's part, and I take full responsibility for the misunderstanding. Mr Hawes, I hope you will accept this, my second apology.

As for my right to post here, I suppose it is equal to yours Mr. Hawes. In fact I thought WT posts would be welcome at wff. I'll check with the moderators.

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Oh no...please tell how you targeted sea-cucumbers with fly gear under the pretense of sea-run trout. Sounds interesting.

14. Mingo

Media:
    It's that darn Vlasic Gherkin Special, those sea cucumbers go ape for it......I have to quit using that pattern....... :clown:

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    After reading all of these stories of the good fishing in the Salt,I'm going to have to break down and do it. I just have this thing about getting out in the salt water and having my gear not work anymore. I know,no guts-no glory.

Jim

16. Mingo

Media:
    Old Man don't worry so much......guys on here regularly use $600 Sage XPs with Abel reels in the salt. There is a miracle rinse called H2o, just use some of this special rinsing liquid on your gear when you are done and you will be fine....remember that code designation for the special rinsing sauce...H2o.....your reel and guides will be fine...are you going to use this reel in the salt from your arsenal?

[​IMG]

you successfully fished that reel since Lincoln was in the White House, I'm sure that tough old bugger can handle some searuns....just keep it out of the sand! :p :p

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well the last time I fished in the salt I used a older type Sage reel,a 506 or something like that. And after I got home the gear got the bath thing and after a few weeks the reel had rust on the shaft and was hard to turn. But since then I've cleaned up the reel and now it works fine. That is why I don't fish the salt.

Jim

18. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Salt Dog, let me jump in here at the defense of Mr WT (no pun intended).

I was actually the recipient of the afformentioned personal attack in regards to posting a coho catch (and release) in open SRC waters that were closed to salmon. I too was using light tippet and surface techniques. Unlike you, I was unaware that the area was closed to salmon, but it didn't matter because I released the fish and I knew I was targetting SRC anyway- as I almost always do, even when salmon season is open. In short, I knew enough about the regs to know that my methods were legal.

The difference between these two situations is I was was personally attacked and called out as a poacher from a certain member who is prone to (and recently reprimanded for) such behavior. From where I sit, it looked to me like Mr WT (again no pun intended) was going out of his way to make sure there was no intent to judge your methods or ethics. I looked at his first post (before reading your response) and I took it as a friendly reminder to others who might read the report and run up to target some of those salmon in the North Sound. The term poacher was used but it was jokingly directed at members of his or her own group that were thinking of heading out but hadn't studied the regs yet.

But please don't attack Washington Trout as an organization. I have a lot of respect for the work that they do and I am a professional in the conservation field so I am aware of some of their accomplishments.

Please re read the posts and try to look at it from their perspective. They were not trying to crush your glowing report (which I enjoyed by the way...keep 'em coming!) I think maybe you were reacting to the proven tendancy of this board to overly scrutinize fishing reports and slam the author if the slightest mistake was made. I am sure that your C&R skills are quite good and that your Coho is still swimming strongly. I may even decide to "target" your fish this fall!

This brings me to my personal pet peeve...........THE REGS ARE BROKEN ON THIS ISSUE! The regs need to be more clear about what is acceptable tackle and technique and completely do away with the intent clause. For example if during salmon closures WDFW limited acceptable tackle to single barbless size 4 (max) hooks and no weight above 1/2 oz it would go a long way to cut down on incidental catch while increasing eforcibility. (Flyfishing only would be fine too, but it is a bit self-serving from my point of view). At the very least prohibiting bait and treble hooks during selective seasons makes sense to me.

This would be very complicated but it is necessary IMO. WDFW would have to allow tackle that could accurately target lingcod, halibut and other bottom fish during their openings. But whatever is allowed, it should be implemented with the goal of decreasing salmon mortality. Currently it would be legal fish a buzz bomb with a treble hook in the north sound if you were "targetting" flounder , or a whole herring if you were "targetting" dogfish. Downriggers/flashers/hootchies with might be stretching things a bit, but as Mr WT put it, only the angler knows his own intent. The current regs are completely unenforceable with regard to methods used and targetted species, they only kick in when a fish is actually caught. So lets do away with the stupid intent clause and make the use of certain gear illegal during selective fisheries!

WT could help us with this I believe.

ChrisW

19. Willie Bodger

Media:
    Chris, I like the idea with regard to changing the regs to more accurately target what they are trying to do and give the wdfw 'cops' something that they can enforce 'before' the fish pay the price. On the flip side, perhaps a good innovative tyer (like you... ;) ) could come up with a cutthroat only fly, no salmon allowed...? :hmmm:

20. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Great report!

I can understand how Saltdog became defensive on behalf of his buddy's report in light of the recent fireworks show on the boards,but at the sametime I believe it was overboard considering the honest statements made by WT. Most especially when myself, along with about 100 more WFF.com guys contributed $13 bucks which ended up in the hands of WT.

By the way, what pun are you talking about Chris? I don't see it. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.