North Sound surprise

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bwillroll, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    You're right. You shouldn't trust every guy on the internet who considers himself an expert. Do some research and figure it out for yourself. Start by googling curt Kreamer wild steelhead. He just might be someone who you would consider an expert in this area.

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    If you look into one of the many previous posts on the subject or skim the article you will find that it has already been stated many times over that other than a few slight differences, the fish are so similar that it takes DNA samples to definitively identify them.
    Which is probably why the names are interchangeable for most poeple, myself included, but Dolly varden is simply more fun to say.
    That description with the artists depiction of a bull trout is probably good for differentiating between bull trout and brookies but does nothing to shed light on the dolly varden/bull trout issue.

Gary Knowels and David Dalan like this.
  3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

4. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Media:
    If this is indeed the case I find it extremely amusing that a guy who's stoked about catching a "dolly" in the salt, posts about it on here, with no picture, and someone immediately attempts to correct him and tell him that he's wrong

This guy must be quite the fish expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

pbundary -
    It does not take much of an "expert" to make that call.

A little background. Prior to 1978 bull trout and Dolly Varden were thought to be the same species with just different life histories. Based on the physical descriptions of two species it was thought that Washington waters had both. In the early 1990s a biologist with UBC develop a method of reliably IDing both species but taking a collection of meristic measures. When this was done with char in the various Puget Sound rivers it was straight forward to separate them. Things when a bit sideways when in one study Dolly Varden and bull trout were tagged with color tags and the two "species" were found spawning in the same areas at the same time and in a number of cases the two were mating with each other. In other words they were behaving as a single population. The only conclusion was either they were a hybridized population or a single population - it should be noted that individuals from both tagged groups were recovered both the rivers and the salt. By the mid- 1990s genetic tools had been developed that would answer the question of whether an individual fish was a" bull" or a "Dolly". The result of the genetic testing found that regardless of whether the fish had the "appearance" of a bull or Dolly they were genetically the same. Further testing confirmed that not only were they genetically the same but they were bull trout.

Since that time 100s of char from the various north Sound river systems have tested genetically. Other that a small handful of headwater populationst that have been Dolly Varden every other fish has been a bull trout. Every fish sampled in main stem rivers (whether rearing or on their way to the salt) and every fish tested that was or had been in the salt have been determined to be bull trout.

If you were to check with any of the Dolly Varden/bull trout experts from USFWS, WDFW, or academia they will all tell that any of Washington's native char found in Puget Sound (or the associated main rivers) are bull trout.

Curt

6. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

Media:
    I love science.

Gary Knowels and Patrick Gould like this.
  7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    He didn't attempt to correct him, he did.
    And it wasn't like he called the guy an idiot. After seeing the same topic come up over and over its hard not to point out a lesser known FACT about these relatively mysterious char.
    (Which are most assuredly not Atlantic salmon, I know someone wants to say it.)

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  8. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Respect the knowledge that comes from science.

At the same time, realize that Science is as much a method as a collected body of knowledge. Because it is a method ("The Scientific Method"), the knowledge it produces is provisional--which is to say, it is subject to update and revision. But what makes the knowledge "science" is that it is the most "qualified" (been screened through peer review to insure the conclusion matches the data) knowledge that is available.

So do appreciate the fact that disagreement within the scientific community does not equate invalidation, inaccuracy, or general "wrongness." It only indicates that The Method is healthy and working as it should and that those involved in the science are merely honing the existing knowledge into a sharper edge.

In regards to Smalma, Preston, and the rest of those old-timers, I'd like to think that, though they might not be so-called experts, their data base is larger than mine for having waded in in the river of experience called Fly Fishing longer than I have.

By the way, thanks for the clarification, Curt. That was a very scientific rendering of the info. Was there any other info discussing salt versus fresh water Bull Trout/Dolly Varden? It's just that I got to wondering about the char behavior being similar to rainbows or Cutthroats when it comes to spending time in the salt.

--Dave

Tyler Sadowski and Gary Knowels like this.
  9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    You are hanging with the wrong crowd.

10. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

Hi Brent. It's that Scott indeed. I remember you stopped by the shop not long before you hit the beach. Hope yesterday went well. Today wasn't bad, but the wind was something else out there today. It was certainly a nice day to be left handed though! Brought a few nice fish to hand, though still didn't see much in the way of fry out in the main channel.