north west blue sharks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by sturgeon crazy, Jun 1, 2006.

1. anyone ever try flyfishing for blues off the oregon/washington coast? a buddy just got a boat appropriate for the ocean and want to give it a try this summer. what bait should i use for chum, where do you get bait? ive been thinking about saving the shad ive been catching in the columbia since they are a big herring, any thoughts?

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

I do not know about Blue Sharks on the coast.

But the Wednesday May 31 issue of the Port Townsend & Jefferson County Leader newspaper featured an article by Ross Anderson in the "On The Waterfront" column, which is entitled "Sixgill Shark: Deep, Dark secret of Puget Sound, Canal". The essay goes into describing some of the significant sightings of sharks in the Sound and Hood Canal, including one encounter with an eleven-foot shark!!!; at 110 foot depth near Point Defiance Park on august 2004 by diver Scott Boyd, who reporeted six other very large sharks in the vicinity. The essay goes on to say that "Similar sharks have been encountered in Hood Canal and Discovery Bay".

www.ptleader.com

3. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I guess then that you would need more than an 8 foot sink tip, huh.

There are a few guides that will take you out of Neah Bay for sharks or mackerel whenever the salmon aren't in. Chum lines and bite tippet.

Anyone see the TV show a few weeks ago, Discovery channel or something, of the jumping whites of South Africa? high speed trolling with a foam seal pup, 20 ft. great white sharks would come completely out of the water. Great video footage.

4. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Bob and S Crazy, Captain Chris Bellows did Blue Shark trips out of Neah Bay during periods when salmon and other fisheries were closed. He had some wonderful photos and great details about the fishery before he exited the business. He would take his boat off shore and look for warmer water that attracted the sharks. He still visits WFF from time to time and hopefully he will add to this post.

Six Gill Sharks are the subject of a major study at the Seattle Aquarium. The Aquarium has been actively studying these sharks in an effort to learn more about their habits and their role in the Puget Sound. I understand that they have been working to place tracking equipment on the sharks. The current schedule has two daily talks on Searching for Six Gills.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Steve,
    There were quite a few Six Gill sharks caught by anglers fishing off the pier at Alki a few years ago. The state at that time knew very little about the species population, breeding habits etc. They put a C & R regulation on them in Puget Sound, which I think is great. To many glory shots of dead sharks that likely were being wasted.
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=aug1500a
    The study you are referring to may be part of the states plan to gain more knowledge regarding Six Gill sharks.
    Brian

6. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Jim,
    I saw the Discovery channel show on those Great Whites. Pretty amazing seeing those sharks in action!
    Chris

7. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Brian, I've watched that show a couple of times. The part that sticks with me is the guy sitting on the dead whale while the sharks were feeding away on it. How he didn't slide off on the whale slime I'll never know. It gives me the willies everytime I think about it.

Bruce

8. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

I talked with a friend who works at the Aquarium this weekend that is familiar with the Six Gill Shark project. Six Gills are prehistoric sharks. They are deep-water dwellers so it is unusual for them to inhabit Puget Sound. The Aquarium has been sending down divers with bait in the evenings when there are favorable tides. So far, they have visually identified 20 different sharks. They are doing DNA samples to identify them as well. They have recently partnered with NOAA to tag two of the sharks with transponders that allows tracking of the sharks' movements. One of the females has reportedly been spending a lot of time near the aquarium.

Due to the rarity of finding the sharks in shallow water, scientists from around the globe are coming to Seattle to learn about the species. The study is being run on a shoestring but they are hopeful that we will continue to learn more about the Six Gills.

9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Sturgeon Crazy - if your buddy has a boat that can get you out to the bluewater current you're in for a lot of fun this summer. That means you can also get into Albacore. We saw several blue sharks last summer while out chasing albacore. I would recomend using big bright orange and red flies, they don't see really well, so you need something to get their attention.

You can buy live anchovies in Ilwaco if you guys launch from the mouth of the Columbia. You don't need live bait to chum for sharks though, I'm sure shad would work to bring them in. For albacore you will need live bait for chum.

This is a good fly to match the anchovies for Albacore.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8941&cat=500&ppuser=2058

This is what you've got to look forward to/
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8233&cat=500&ppuser=2058

If I had to choose 1 fish to fish for all summer in WA, it would be Albacore.

10. gt

gt Active Member

how close in did the warm water come to the beach this past summer?? did you only run out of illwaco or are their ports further N that would work as well? (new boat under construction, can hardly wait.....)

11. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I've been told that La Push is where the warm current makes a heavy turn away from the coast. South of there you can find tuna anywhere from 20 miles offshore under really good water conditions to 100 or more. I think 50 is about average during the season. There were rumors last year about albacore 6 miles offshore, but none of the charter captains seemed to know anything about it, which makes me think someone probably just misidentified some mackerel.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Actual blue shark fishing tips!!!!

Used to do it in Central California. Figure it's no different here... Chum is key. Anchovy. Buy LOTS of blocks. A few days before the trip, dump some in a bucket drilled with lots of little holes. Make sure the lid fits tight. Now put that in a plastic bag and SEAL it. You don't want to open that bad boy until you are ready to fish! On the fishing grounds hang that stanky mess over the side, and wait... and wait... and... You get the drill. periodically toss a couple fresh defrosted ones over the side, just to keep yourself busy. When and if your friends arrive keep throwing anchovies at them. AT THEM! You want to pull a bait and switch, so try to keep the action within 20 to 30 feet of the boat. let them get in the habit of seeing an anchovy appear in front of them, and eating it. after a few eats throw your fly in front of one. No stripping should be necessary. The very best cast is one that is 30 feet to the fly, and lands 3 feet in front of a shark GOING AWAY from you. Get ready for the ride! For flies use a super hair or other nylon material and an epoxy head. I didn't tie tube flies back then but that would have been good! We usually used Abel Anchovies, because they were pretty much designed for shark, they're quick and easy to tie, and they're as durable as anything out there. Don't skimp on the flash. Good luck

13. One of my roommates does research on sixgills in puget sound. I will talk to him tonight and try to find out more. He had a number one time for sixgills south of the narrows bridge that was mindblowing. There are more out there than you would think.

14. rockfish

rockfish Member

years ago there was a commercial fishery for sixgills in puget sound using chains and rope attached to barrels and whole dogfish as bait, still waiting to see or catch one on accident