Northern Hood Canal Chums?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jonduke, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

What do you all know about some of the Chum salmon locales north of Hoodsport? I'm looking into the Dosewallips and Duckabush rivers, and maybe the mouths of Eagle and Jorstad creeks. I'd love any information on any of these rivers, or any other nearby spots. As always, feel free to email me at LTJ_RBF_NFG@hotmail.com. Also, is it too late to catch a sea-run or two in any of the peninsula rivers? Thanks-

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

wow you are talking about two of my favorite rivers.I hiked the lower dose wed and saw no fish just dead humpys. talked to fish and game idiot who counted 3 silvers and 5chum. nice of them to count what they have done such a good job destroying.the duck probably does have some chum in the lower reaches but access largly private.get to know those rivers and they will both reward you with salmon trout and steelhead good luck. p.s I drive a beatup subaru wagon with a 6 foot tube on the top

3. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

Thanks for the info, riverrat. I do have one question, though... How crowded is it usually on these rivers? I fished the Dose once in NOvember and there was nobody there, but then again the water was painfully low. Anyway, thanks again-

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

those rivers have probably stayed my favorite because they are so quiet.the dose as you know has a alot more road acess than the duc so gets alot more preasure.during the winter though it stays pretty quiet.the duc has a few probably 7 8 people that fish it.to fish the duc with any succes you have to be willing to beat the brush.i fish rivers at least 5 6 times a month beating the shore line all around the olympic penninsula and i rate the duck asn some of the meanist narlyist !@##@!% crap to hike.fishing success is rain dependant good luck

5. Duckman

Duckman New Member

Riverrat-

I'm one of the chosen 7 or 8. There oddly enough were near zero chums in the Duckabush just before the big rains (11/19) but hopefully they will show when it drops. The Dosey had some really bright fish before the deluge, found them just above 101. Sad note- even in this year of great coho returns, there still were almost no fish in the canyon pools. Nice job, Fish and Wildlife.

Bill.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have not been back since I last posted on this trib.I am afraid though you are right.I am sorry I actully responded.Too many self rightous chum snaggers on this forrum for me good bye.No ofense bill maybe see you on the river.I'll be the backward a$$ country f--- with a black lab.x(