Northwest Fly Tyer's Expo 2004

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Tim Cottage, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Mark your calenders to be in Eugene on March 20th.
    Go here http://oregonfff.org/ click on the tyer schedule link. Look at all those great tyers.
    This is likely the largest collection of top tyers that you are ever going to see assembled in one place west of the Mississippi.
    Imagine what you can learn here.
    "An extensive fly material sale at separate tables will also be going on throughout the day".

WOW
    :eek

TC

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I have never been to one of these. It sounds interesting, but can any one tell me what would be interesting about driving 300 miles each way to see or do? I checked out the website, and thought http://oregonfff.org/expo_2004.html this was the most explanatory link. I also saw that some big names in tying were going to be there.

You say there will materials for sale, the same old stuff, or will there be good choice stuff that we don't normally see?

Tell me more, please!

Rob

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I've tied at the FFF Northwest Fly Tying Expo, held at the Lane County Fair Grounds for the past 10 years. It is a great experience whether you are a tier or attendee. It is a jam-packed one-day event (March 21 this year, I believe) with probably 160 fly tiers ranging from individuals, club tiers on up to some of the biggest names in tying; Alec Jackson, John Shewey, Jim Schollmeyer, Harry Lemire, Bruce Ferguson, Bill Nelson..and on and on and on. The tiers rotate every two hours during the day with some tying one session and others tying two sessions. There is an auction and banquet across from the Pavilion beginning at 6 p.m. So, take a Friday off, drive to Eugene but be sure to have reservations at a nearby motel or B&B (check the Eugene website for places to stay). On Saturday a.m. you have breakfast and head for the Tying Expo. There is much, much more going on than I've written here.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. Tim Cottage

>I have never been to one of these. It sounds
    >interesting, but can any one tell me what would be
    >interesting about driving 300 miles each way to see or
    >do? I checked out the website, and thought
    >http://oregonfff.org/expo_2004.html this was the most
    >explanatory link. I also saw that some big names in
    >tying were going to be there.
    >
    >You say there will materials for sale, the same old
    >stuff, or will there be good choice stuff that we don't
    >normally see?
    >
    >Tell me more, please!
    >
    >Rob

I really don't have any more information. I suggest you give them a call. There is probably a contact number on the web site.
    What you get out of it will equal what you put into it.
    Given the amount of experience, skill and knowledge packed into one place with the focus on tying there will be much see and learn. They are all nice folks willing to share and help in any way they can. That is why they are there in the first place.

Regarding the materials:
    It is a specialty show with a specialty market. I am hoping that there is much more than the usual stuff. By more, I mean more focused on quality, harder to find tying materials, things that you don't normally see in shops but might be reluctant to mail order, sight unseen. I hope that most all the guides, lodges, widgets, graphite rod and me too reel makers will decide that this is not a profitable venue for them.

The cost of admission is $5.00.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

In addition to, tying and meeting old friends and acquaintences I enjoy seeing all the tiers. There are some wonderful items (flies, custom vise bases, reels, etc.) available to bid on, materials for sale (some outstanding, some good, some so-so). My wife and I purchased some natural and bleached beaver that was very nice. That basket was cleaned out real fast.

There is also the Oregon coast not far away. Take some extra vacation time to swing a fly through the Trask, Nestucca or one of the other coastal steelhead rivers that have been doing so well of late. Have fun.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

6. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

it is the same weekend as the big horn show in spokane which was no fault of either organizer. also my grandson wrestles in a freestyle tourney in moses lake. someday i will take in one of those shows, it would be enriching.

7. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I went down to the show on Saturday. It was phenominal, there must have been 100 or more tyers doing 2 hour blocks. And the variety of patterns being tied varied from bunny leeches and trout flies to fully dressed salmon flies. The real Wow of the show was possibly Harry Lemire tying fully dressed flies without a vise!!!

My biggest bonehead move was spending too much money on the OFFC materials table, which had some excellent bargains, but not exactly what I was looking for. I did score a giant coastal deer patch 12x8" for $1. Perfect for comparaduns, and mini-Humpies. I also scored a big natural black and a badger neck for $5 each and a vivid purple saddle for $7.

It turned out that in the afternoon, the tyers started selling too. Giant bags of CDC, Rhea from Siskiyou Aviary, hand tied flourocarbon leaders for $2 each were just samples of the stuff available. I saw one sign saying that full blue eared pheasant skins were $100.

Then there were the silent auction, which started to close at 1:30pm. I bid, on, but let pass a grizzly saddle for $26 that had a range from 16 to 26?. And there were full guinea skins going for around $40. And plenty of fly lines of all types going for $20-25.

I will definately be back next year.

Rob

8. Tim Cottage

Rob
    Good to hear that you made the trip and found it worthwhile. I think you will agree that the tying talent present over the course of the day in that room was astounding. Some were well known, many others were easily as skilled but unpublished. It was totally relaxed, not very crowded and every tier was ready and willing to share information and ideas. If you saw someone doing something interesting, you could sit in front of him or her for as long as you liked and watch and talk. It was just about impossible not to come away with something that made the trip worth the drive. I found it to have far more to offer and much more satisfying than a commercial show could ever be.

Next year be sure to leave home a little early and stop by Creekside in Salem. For tying materials it is a better shop than anything we have in the Seattle area but you have to get there by mid day on friday to beat the crowd.

TC