Not a good WDFW story

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reelucky, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I completly agree that your ticket was complete shit. I love to see WDFW out checking as many of you said but many times it seems like they write up the the wrong people. Recently we were ticketed for not having our WDFW access parking pass on our mirror after we slid the boat in. It was in our glove box but after he scanned our wild ID number into his computer he knew we had it. I normaly wouldnt get mad over this but almost no one puts that shit up! I know they're just doing their job but somtimes they make my head spin....
  2. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    was checked by a young buck, tall dark haired guy about late twenties, early thirties, kinda reminded me of pacman from the movie "colors". (sean penn) young, eager to bust, and full of rookie testosterone. i was suiting up and he comes over, grabs my rod from the inside of my truck and tells me im illegal. BUG OFF!!!! he wanted to write a ticket sooooo bad but standing in a parking lot with barbed hook is not illegal last i heard, BEAT IT!!! he did tell me tho if the fly was wet he could ticket me, GOOBLE BALLS!!!

im out- bhudda
  3. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Waitwait....,"he reaches inside your truck & grabs your rod and tells you you're illegal? Are you serious? He didn't ASK to see your gear/equipment first? Not even a minimal amount of diplomacy in his demeanor? WTF?

....BTW, what were you doing with a "barbed hook" on your rod anyhow? :eek: NOMB.....Just curious, thaz'all....ha!:hmmm:

Jc:)
  4. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Some saltwater hooks like Mustad 3407 or 34007 often snap off leaving a slight bump. I wonder if this is considered barbed? I'm all for barbless hooks unless some jackass makes an ignorantly over-the-top deal out of it. Common sense should figure into the method for determining what constitutes a legally debarbed hook.
    Les Johnson
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +218 / 0
    Bhudda: "was checked by a young buck, tall dark haired guy about late twenties, early thirties, kinda reminded me of pacman from the movie "colors". (sean penn) young, eager to bust, and full of rookie testosterone. i was suiting up and he comes over, grabs my rod from the inside of my truck and tells me im illegal. BUG OFF!!!! he wanted to write a ticket sooooo bad but standing in a parking lot with barbed hook is not illegal last i heard, BEAT IT!!! he did tell me tho if the fly was wet he could ticket me, GOOBLE BALLS!!!"

Get this: I ran into a guy that fits the description you gave when I was fishing the south Sound. He chatted with me for a minute, didn't ask to see my license or check my fly for barbed/non-barbed. I ran into him a little later in the day again. I stopped him and asked a couple of questions regarding access, etc. Again he didn't check me. I then asked him for suggestions regarding where to fly fish. He turned me on to what is now my favorite location........It can't be the same guy, can it? Anyway, I haven't seen him since but I'm going to stop him and thank him if I see him again.

I sure hope it isn't that same guy. Can't be, can it? I know better than most that everyone has a bad attitude day on occasion but that sounds way out of line. You didn't call him "Barney" did you? Next time ask if he only has one bullet for his sidearm and whether he carries it in his shirt pocket.................Naw, that'll just piss him off and that's when I'll run into him.
  6. Stillinscrubs New Member

nashville, tn
    I'm just a guy who currently lives in TN, but I feel for you after reading this story. I have had to deal with my share of game wardens and it gets me to no end. I grew up around a very crooked one who is currently under federal investigation. I now carry a camera that is water proof and has a movie shooting option should I get any trouble from anyone.

In the future it might be a good idea to ask the game wardens to hold the offensive hooks while you take a picture of them. They can say the barbs were bent down after the ticket was written but before you went to court. It is then your word against theirs and your buddies payed the fine (guilty by association.) I would also, in the game warden's presence, shoot a film with them in it of the hook being run in and out of your shirt cleanly.

I am going on a fly fishing trip this fall to a river that requires barbless hooks. I have already documented all the flies I am taking and have them stored on my computer. I don't deal lightly with bad law officers.

:beathead:

Scrubs
  7. Ed D Member

Fed Way, WA
    The Gamakatsu hooks I use in the salt do this also. I was boarded the other day and the wdfw officer had no problem with the "bump". After they left I felt the hook and could tell there was even a rough spot. I sounds like I was checked by a reasonable officer and may have gotten lucky.
    I think from now on I'll file them down smooth, just to be safe.
    The reality of the matter is that the small bumps or rough spots don't keep the hook from sliding out easily... too easily much of the time:)
  8. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    :beathead: all these wdfg should do a tour of duty where i am from alska our troopers do this job and for the most prt do it in a very professional manner:thumb: how ever they will more than accomodate you if you are being totally stupid:D I pinch my barbs down for the following reasons
    1 a barb is archaic it actually impeds penetration of the hook
    2 when i am home in the north i releas over 98% of my fish
    3 regulations

:beer2: smitty
  9. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I nearly always ('nearly' is the key word here) pinch my barbs. From time to time I miss one or my pinch job isn't very good. A case in point, just this weekend I was fishing from a beach and a fellow fly fisher asked to see my fly (after I had just missed a fish). I cast it over to him, and after he remarked on the fly he also noted that I should pinch the barb. Hey, I had pinched it! (I carry pliers, not forceps, to use for pinching barbs as well as extracting flies from fish). I was positive I had pinched the barb. I checked the fly, and sure enough it needed pinched. I must have 'missed' it when I pinched the hook.

Most of the posts responding to Reelucky's story assume the warden is crooked or bad; my money would go on Reelucky either missing the barb or not pinching it down adequately. We're all human, and it happens.
  10. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    I'm an evidence kind of guy. My first reaction after he came back with the "Unlawfully fishing with a barbed hook" ticket would have been to have him HOLD the evidence in his own hand, these supposed barbed hooks so that I could PHOTOGRAPH them next to his badge.
    There's no way to fake that.
    If you present your evidence to the judge, show him the photo's of the officers holding the same hooks then show them the regulations, you will have to be exonerated. Unless the judge is an ass and don't care about evidence. Which is very unlikely.

koolminx
  11. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Anyone can pinch a barb after the fact. Why would a judge exonerate someone with 'evidence' that may have been tampered with, and may not even be the 'evidence'?
  12. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    Silly Goose, I SAID
    How in the world can the Officer ticket you for having pinched barbs and fishing illegally, while holding YOUR hooks in HIS hands?. There MUST BE EVIDENCE OF GUILT!.... SO take some dang ol' pictures if it happens to you...

I am NEVER without my phone or my camera both take pictures...
  13. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    that sucks some guys have a hard time trying to be a game warden and with a large chip on their shoulders. The last time we were checked it was down in the gorge area on the Wind River or maybe the Klickitat cant really remember as it was last year but the warden drug a small piece of wool over the barb and told us that if it snags it considered to be barbed. We must of been ok as we weren't cited but that was the first time I've seen anything like it.