Not a "Pram Thread."

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by ceviche, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I bought a "third-hand" (Do you want me to name names or what?! Yeah, sure: I blame them all, big and small!! Those dirty, dirty, rotten, dirty-dirties!!!) Kodiak Watermaster and it has given me awesome service for all the times I've used it--and at a swaggin' good price, too! Unfortunately, with today's heat, the adhesive for one of the velcro patches for the stripping apron went south. I suspect that was a non-manufacturer piece of fix-it. It seemed fine when I used it in Oregon, but I'm almost thinking it failed while stored in the bag over the last week or so. It was out in this heat only for the most meager amount of time before I noticed the patch leaving a slug trail. Banish the thought of a fly line touching that snot!

Anyway, what I need to know are suggestions for a good and safe solvent to remove the old stickum and a durable glue to put under new velcro fuzz. I certainly don't want to use any remover that will degrade the raft skin. However, I do want to present a fresh, clean surface for the new velcro. And then also a hardy glue that will neither melt the raft skin nor decay in heat. Suggestions?

--Dave

2. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    rubbing alcohol?

and whatever the next guys/gal says for adhesive.:D

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Not up be flippant, but I really believe that Water Master will have the best answer. I've always found them to super helpful whenever I've called.

You could also look on NRS's website as they have a chart of adhesives listed by raft, ie. PVC vs Urethane vs Hypalon, etc. as well as a video. Scroll down the topic list to 'Inflatable Boat..."

http://www.nrs.com/learn/?group=1

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Doh! Good point. Thanks!

--Dave

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Did try the alcohol. Not good enough. Maybe not pure enough to do the job? Maybe that was a good thing?

--Dave

6. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    If the above advice doesn't pan out you might try calling Ballard Inflatable Boats.
    They should be familiar with all the different types of materials.

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Quite! I was thinking of going there after following Freestone's advice and spending time at the NRS website.

My Watermaster is made of PVC, so the proper cleaning solvent is Acetone or--much worse!--Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone. The latter is to be avoided as much as possible, as it is known to rot your liver. It's like an expressway to a cirrhotic liver: no sense waiting for your drinking habit to catch up with you. You have to wear (smart to do the same thing for acetone) a organic chemical respirator mask to filter out the vapors. Very bad shit! Rubbing alcohol is the safest, though not nearly as effective for removing old adhesive. I recall seeing this other product that isn't made of VOCs, but I'm not sure how it might affect the PVC fabric. It might be called something like, "Gunk-out." Supposed to work great on old Scotch Tape, chewing gum, and floor wax splash--crap like that.

For an adhesive, there is this other stuff that I can't remember the name of, but I'm certain Ballard Inflatable will have. Another new errand to run. Fffffffuuuuuuhhhhh!

--Dave

8. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    I believe acetone would be appropriate. Try a small spot.

9. Steezn290

Steezn290 Member

The glue that they use it great and they will be able to direct you how to take it off. May just need to re apply the existing patch with new glue!

10. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Mineral spirits maybe.

11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Got some!

12. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Leaves a slightly oily residue. I've used it before with alkyd enamel (oil-based) paint.

13. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    BY the way, my raft has serious WFF pedigree of use. First bought and used by MacRowdy, then sold to Kent Lufkin, and then bought by me. Well loved, well used, and well patched.

Buying a Watermaster raft third-hand proved a steal for me, given the price depreciation and how durable they are. Yeah, having to do future fix-its is part of the picture, but that's a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Thank goodness there are people with deeper pockets than mine!

--Dave

14. jwg

jwg Active Member

To remove sticky adhesive from things, due to price tags and such, I use some vegetable oil cooking spray. The vegetable oil mixes with and dilutes the adhesive, but it is not a penetrating solvent that might dissolve or damage the surfaces. When freshly applied, the propellant in the oil from the spray can thins the oil and eases the mixing with and release of the adhesive. In that way its easier than just using straight vegetable oil, although straight vegetable oil usually works too with a little more time and effort.

Then wash with soap and water after wiping it all away. If necessary some alcohol at the end, although soap and water usually does the trick.
    Jay

ceviche likes this.
  15. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    This may not be a pram thread but is now a PAM thread. Thanks Jay for the tip.

Wayne

LCnSac, Old406Kid and jwg like this.
  16. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:

Very nifty idea! I like the non-toxic aspect of the approach. I will give it a try--even beyond the raft. Non-toxic cooking spray is obviously better than toluene, even if it takes longer and entails the extra step of soap and water. Folks need to save their brain cells for outwitting trout.

--Dave E.